Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yay unions!

The police officer got her job back as well as $86,000 in back-pay!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...ation-decision

Take that, taxpayers!
    Yep, again

Sorta reminds me of that media 'show' former mayor Kilpatrick made of sweeping thru various city of Detroit departments in person in some cases, supposedly exposing deadbeat/ corrupt employees [[withstanding the irony that later he himself would be 'chief'). The so-called instant firings, and what not [[recall deputy Brown et al). All made for neat news 'packages' ala. Of course most would get their jobs back as well. With back pay and much more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/16/us...f-detroit.html

I've lived in both Warren and Detroit and am neither entirely Euro-American nor African American. I've loved the people of both and despised the law enforcement in both - on the whole. Individuals all the way around were exceptions to the rule. Seems like the bigger picture is the problems we are experiencing with the kind of people who may be more likely to be drawn to a career in law enforcement - again, not all, but too often without any "quality control" that is functional.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryDL View Post
    I've lived in both Warren and Detroit and am neither entirely Euro-American nor African American. I've loved the people of both and despised the law enforcement in both - on the whole. Individuals all the way around were exceptions to the rule. Seems like the bigger picture is the problems we are experiencing with the kind of people who may be more likely to be drawn to a career in law enforcement - again, not all, but too often without any "quality control" that is functional.
    I lived in Warren from 2006 until 2013 and I never had any issues with the police. I was never pulled over, I never had any interaction with them at all. I'm rather law abiding, which greatly increases the chances of having no issues. I'm also white, which in our imperfect world has an effect too.

My only complaint was that they didn't respond when a group of teenagers threw water balloons at my wife who was holding my newborn son. These little shitheads were patrolling the neighborhood in a car and doing drive-by harassment of people and WPD didn't seem to care. That's a recipe for people taking justice into their own hands to rid their neighborhood of hooligans.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryDL View Post
    A single bad outcome does not make bad quality control.

I've worked with DPD closely. Have had bad experiences. Have had great experiences.

Getting to perfection is really difficult. Great quality control is really difficult. Institutions are hard to build.

As a society, we'd come to underestimate how hard it is to build great, high-quality organizations in the public sector. It takes years of hard work.

Constant criticism of every decision does not help create a high-quality culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Constant criticism of every decision does not help create a high-quality culture.
    My favorite quote regarding this is "The perfect is the enemy of the good." In other words, in an effort to achieve perfection, you probably won't even get to mediocrity.

That being said, I'd imagine it's pretty hard to create a quality organization when you can't fire someone who flagrantly violates policy.

Wish it had been only a few - but it wasn't. Agreed that it becomes difficult when you are not allowed to deal with problems. That's what I was getting at - it is imperative to somehow draw in - and compensate appropriately - those who will create the organizational culture that reflects the culture as you wish it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I'd imagine it's pretty hard to create a quality organization when you can't fire someone who flagrantly violates policy.

BINGO! Another union nail in the coffin of good government. When will they ever learn . If you are a taxpayer, public sector unions are NOT your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yay unions!

The police officer got her job back as well as $86,000 in back-pay!

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...ation-decision

Take that, taxpayers!
    I'd imagine it's pretty hard to create a quality organization when you can't fire someone who flagrantly violates policy.

When will they ever learn . If you are a taxpayer, public sector unions are NOT your friend! If you need a cop in Detroit, public sector unions are NOT your friend! If you want you children taught well, public sector unions are NOT your friend! When will they ever learn .

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    When will they ever learn . If you are a taxpayer, public sector unions are NOT your friend! If you need a cop in Detroit, public sector unions are NOT your friend! If you want you children taught well, public sector unions are NOT your friend! When will they ever learn .
    The whole system is infected with Bureaucratic Functionary's who Promote Mediocrity and Embrace Egalitarianism.

The sad state of America today private and public.

My favorite quote regarding this is "The perfect is the enemy of the good." In other words, in an effort to achieve perfection, you probably won't even get to mediocrity.

That being said, I'd imagine it's pretty hard to create a quality organization when you can't fire someone who flagrantly violates policy.
    And a system where we provide perfect protection against imperfect terminations becomes one where mediocrity rules. You have to allow leaders to make mistakes. Your mayor or police chief will sometimes make a big mistake. Someone will lose their job.

As a society we have to decide which is more important. Near-complete protection against improper termination. Ability for our leaders to use discretion and sometimes fire at will for no good reason whatsoever.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5