Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    That Great Guy Guest

With Dan Dirks running DDOT, it will give many people a chance to be on time for work instead of freezing while waiting 2 hours for a bus. This will help lower property taxes in the future because people will move to Detroit knowing this, thus increasing the local tax base for public transportation and other essential services.

Please help your mayor out because he is who the majority voted for. No one can do this alone. It takes lots of people working hard and being smart. People like Mr. Dan Dirks.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; February-02-14 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Or maybe he's a shape-shifting reptilian humanoid from outer space trying to sow discord among Detroit's human populace.
    Good looking out, you really only know when you see how dogs and cats react to them, though. Humans are easily duped.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Or maybe he's a shape-shifting reptilian humanoid from outer space trying to sow discord among Detroit's human populace.
    Haha, that could be true

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    It would be great if the governor initiated a discussion of moving away from local property taxes to support local governments and schools. A graduated income tax might help. Or a sales tax at a very low rate that covered all purchases.
    Given sharp population declines, many cities and school districts no long have
    a sufficient tax base.
    Wow, that sounds suspiciously like Proposal A.
    --State guaranteed minimum funding per pupil,
    --Hold-harmless millages for districts that spent more than the minimum at the time of adoption of Proposal A, and
    --Raising the state sales tax from 4% to 6%.

I'm confused. I'm a new resident of the city since early November. I just received my property tax assessment. I filed for homestead exemption and the taxes are paid until June 30th 2014. My taxable value and assessed value are the same. The value is stated at $3178. How can that be considering the purchase price of the home was in excess of 125k. The taxable value should be half of that per Michigan law right? I visited the tax assessor website today and I have 2 parcel ID numbers with different winter tax amounts due, how can I have 2 when I only bought one house? Looks like a phone call needs to made.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    I'm confused. I'm a new resident of the city since early November. I just received my property tax assessment. I filed for homestead exemption and the taxes are paid until June 30th 2014. My taxable value and assessed value are the same. The value is stated at $3178. How can that be considering the purchase price of the home was in excess of 125k. The taxable value should be half of that per Michigan law right? I visited the tax assessor website today and I have 2 parcel ID numbers with different winter tax amounts due, how can I have 2 when I only bought one house? Looks like a phone call needs to made.
    Let me be the first to say "Welcome To Detroit".....

Artistic.....

I don't know about Detroit, but that's not uncommon out here. My house is on a double lot that at one time had two parcel numbers until a previous owner combined the lots for taxing purposes.

douglasm.....

The house was built in 1927 as is the neighbors on both sides. So I do not think this would apply to me.

Property taxes are strange indeed. Long story short, when our house fully reverted to us a few year back we were supposed to pay 9800 a year, not happening! took two years to correct that mess but bumbled our way through it all. Taxes were adjusted to roughly 1100. following year 1300, this year 1400. Go figure.

Funnier yet, a supposed expert real estate agent expert on vintage housing told us we would be lucky to get 25K. We have actually had offers to buy our house [[although we are not in the market) for 48K.

It is all is an anathema to me but since I am not selling and tax rate is affordable I am not complaining, at least not yet.

The city assessor will determine the new taxable value of your home in 2014. Your winter 2013 taxes were paid at the taxable value of the previous owner.

Hello Artistic,

If you are in a NEZ zone and applied and were accepted you will also get 2 tax bills. One for the property and one for the residence. The NEZ applies to the residence, not the property. I'm not sure, but if the previous owner applied for NEZ and was accepted, I think that carries with the property if it's a homesteaded property, as opposed to staying with the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Wow, that sounds suspiciously like Proposal A.
    --State guaranteed minimum funding per pupil,
    --Hold-harmless millages for districts that spent more than the minimum at the time of adoption of Proposal A, and
    --Raising the state sales tax from 4% to 6%.
    Sounds exactly like it! The big problem is that the millages held harmless can vary as land becomes more or less desirable. A second problem is that when people delay purchases in bad economic times or purchase items over the internet to save taxes. Both hurt the schools. Good luck getting a graduated income tax, the rich run govt through PACs and lobbyists.

Why would you buy a house with such a large discrepancy between what you paid and what it is taxed for? You either overpaid or are in for a rude awakening when the tax bill comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    A 60% increase doesn't make sense because even if the assessed value went up that much, the taxable value can't increase more than 5%. But for those interested in appealing their assessed value, here's a good outline of how to do that.

http://propertytaxappealinstitute.co...-appeal-guide/
    I appealed my taxes last year and while sitting infront of the review board they said they would lower my taxes from the previous year and that it would show up on this statement. The statement I got 2 days ago shows my "old" value, which is the value they said they would reset it to even though it wasn't last years value, and then a new value which is about 50% higher than what they reset it to. So in turn it said my taxes were going to go up about $630, whereas they previously stated last year in front of the review board that my taxes would be around $1000.

It doesn't make sense to me that it would show my old value as the reset number that I never paid on. It's just another day in the CAY building with people who don't want to do their jobs, nepotism and telephones ringing inside of drawers.

@BillyBBrew That explains the 2 tax bills as I am in an NEZ. Thanks for shedding that light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2