Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    If that's the purpose of the museum, then why it is located in Detroit as opposed to Washington DC, where it would benefit from the millions of tourists who go there specifically to visit museums like that? The Holocaust museum gets 15,000,000 visitors annually.
    Why hasn't one ever been built there? I'm sure it's not because Detroit already did it...

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Other than Detroit being a majority black city, what sense does it make to locate such a museum here? It sure as hell isn't because the local government is such a reliable fiscal benefactor. Michigan was never a slave state. At least DC, in addition to being a majority black city, has a geographical and historical connection to the age of slavery.
    I'm starting to question why any museum period was ever built in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why hasn't one ever been built there? I'm sure it's not because Detroit already did it...
    One is in the process of being built:

http://nmaahc.si.edu/

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    One is in the process of being built:

http://nmaahc.si.edu/
    Is it really going to happen? Seems like they've been working on it forever. I thought Detroit would get subway before the Smithsonian actually opened a museum of African American history...

Detroit HAD a subway, and it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Detroit HAD a subway, and it closed.
    Detroit had subway plans but never an actual subway.

Is it really going to happen? Seems like they've been working on it forever. I thought Detroit would get subway before the Smithsonian actually opened a museum of African American history...
    Well, it seems like construction is well under way, and is supposed to open up next year, so I'm expecting it will really happen, but until it's open, it's not open.

No, but the impact isn't the same.
    Which is fine. Especially since you can have MORE impact with different options.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Which is fine. Especially since you can have MORE impact with different options.
    Have you been? I've read about slavery, learned about slavery in school, but it didn't hit home until I saw the display, the layouts of the ship's hold, the shackling devices, and the alloted space the captives had. It made a lasting impression on me. Perhaps it would on others too.

Have you been? I've read about slavery, learned about slavery in school, but it didn't hit home until I saw the display, the layouts of the ship's hold, the shackling devices, and the alloted space the captives had. It made a lasting impression on me. Perhaps it would on others too.
    Yes, and I agree with you. Of course, there's no single answer to what will work and what won't for every student. I don't mean to imply students SHOULDN'T visit. I just don't think every school necessarily needs to require it.

And, that's aside from the funding issue.

Yes, and I agree with you. Of course, there's no single answer to what will work and what won't for every student. I don't mean to imply students SHOULDN'T visit. I just don't think every school necessarily needs to require it.

And, that's aside from the funding issue.
    I agree, it is aside from the funding issue, and it shouldn't be required. I personally found it more meaningful when I did. I also like to tap my feet under the center of the dome to listen to the echo, until the security guards ask me to knock it off......

Most Detroiters dont visit the Charles Wright museum. Why build another one

I notice not a single one of you have taken it upon your shoulders to organize a forum meet-up at the CHW.

That tells me everything I need to know about your righteous indignation. Talk is cheap.

virtual talk is even cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I notice not a single one of you have taken it upon your shoulders to organize a forum meet-up at the CHW.

That tells me everything I need to know about your righteous indignation. Talk is cheap.

virtual talk is even cheaper.
    That's why we're here. How about stepping up to the plate?

The AA museum is underway in DC, on the mall, part of the Smithsonian. Smithsonian has an imperfect rep regarding history museums. The Museum of American history is now quite nice, but before a renovation several years ago was very dated and lacked much narrative. It was seemingly random Americana. But it was fixed, I think, and gives you sense of time and place for the various artifacts now.

The museum of the American Indian is wretched. Awkward attempt at Southwestern architecture is ugly and fake-looking. The exhibits are trite and pointless. One of them, scarred into my brain, was an demonstration of how ancient Indian cave drawings were similar to comic books. When your museum boasts it's cafeteria and 2, not 1 but 2, gift shops as major assets you know you're in for trouble. You get little sense of American Indian history and culture. You have a wonderful sense of how something designed by committee can go horribly wrong.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; February-03-14 at 03:54 PM.

Become a Member Today!
    Our continued growth and vitality depends upon the support of the entire community. Your contributions ensure the continued success of our programs and exhibitions. Visit as often as you like; several convenient membership categories are available.
    Basic Member benefits include:
    • Free admission to the Museum
    • Free guest pass[[es) [[Children's category excluded)
    • Invitations to Members' Only previews
    • Subscription to The Wright Times quarterly newsletter and monthly and weekly email updates
    • 10% discount in the Museum Store [[Children's category excluded)
    • Advance notice of special events
    • Special pricing on select Museum events
    • 20% off meals at Union Street Restaurant
    Category Annual Dues
    Student [[ages 3 - 17) $5
    Senior [[ages 62 & over) $15
    College Student $25
    Individual $35
    Family $65
    Contributor $150
    Supporter $500
    Partner $1,000

Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 9 am - 5 pm | Sunday 1 - 5 pm | 315 East Warren Avenue | Detroit, MI 48201 | [[313) 494-5800
    Museum Admission: Adults [[13 - 61) $8 | Seniors [[62 +) $5 | Youth [[3 - 12) $5 | Members & children under 3 FREE
    http://thewright.org/index.php

Detroit had subway plans but never an actual subway.
    I was in the subway on Congeww the other day. Got the spicy italian sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I was in the subway on Congeww the other day. Got the spicy italian sammich.
    I thought it closed?

Has anyone ever heard of capitalism? Free markets work themselves out when sticky handed politicians keep their noses out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigal son View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of capitalism? Free markets work themselves out when sticky handed politicians keep their noses out of it.
    I have heard of it, but haven't seen it in Detroit. It not in vogue right now. Maybe after a few more years of fighting the irrelevant income inequality beast conjured by populist progressivism we'll reconsider.

that Congruus SuubWay is alive and weel. Was there 3 times during work at aoutu Shoow. Lines aout the door durin lunch!

Great! I became worried when someone posted the subway plans were scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I have heard of it, but haven't seen it in Detroit. It not in vogue right now. Maybe after a few more years of fighting the irrelevant income inequality beast conjured by populist progressivism we'll reconsider.
    Why devolve?

So far, it doesn't seem as though anyone has posted a comparison
    to the, how best to put it, managerial changes at the Detroit Zoo that
    occurred a few years back. SINCE those changes took place we have
    seen NUMEROUS billboards advocating "Vitamin Z" for the young ones, and
    I'm happy to say, in places where you might have seen billboards for
    cigs or vodka before.
    Suggestions: "The Honor Of Your $1000 Partnership and Presence
    at the Wright Gala Reception is Requested" "An Exhibit Construction
    Gathering Will Take Place Next Weekend - If You Bring a Family History Item to Share With Everyone, and Your Admission Will Be Free" [[taking a page from
    the DIA's efforts to involve the audience more).

Why devolve?
    Your devolve might be my evolve.

But in our case, Detroit needs to 'devolve' and disentangle itself from non-crucial parts of life.

"....and Your Admission Will Be Free" [[taking a page from the DIA's efforts to involve the audience more)."
    The DIA is "charging" the suburbs $23,000,000.00 per year for 10 years for "free" admission for the few that visit Dumpling, and they're going to funnel $100,000,00.00 of that to subsidize Detroit Pension Fund.
    If you want free admission to the Wright you'll be safer relying on sharing your family history because the suburbs won't be conned the next time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast