Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

If they would just light up the facade on the roof it would look that much better. Stott looks great on the outside at night.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    If they would just light up the facade on the roof it would look that much better. Stott looks great on the outside at night.
    That would be sweet....I noticed that at around 3:00 am the Stott's lights go off....but no one sees that unless they're up that late..or early.

Also, with the facade light up, it would provide a more "welcoming" atmosphere to the downtown area. The building would also hopefully provide more retail options to Woodward and Grand Circus Park, as well as street life. Furthermore, I believe these apartments will occupy rather quickly. The views the website shows are amazing. No side of the building has a bad view!

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    There are pictures on 'Buildings of Detroit' of the Broderick back in the day when the top was lit up... When it is all lit up, it looks a lot like the Water Board Building on Randolph.

Now....if only we can get the Whitney building renovated and occupied...thus completing the "gateway" to downtown. GCP could totally be the place to be...although I live there and think it already is.

Planner, wouldn't it save Beal a lot of money and paperwork if he could just set it on fire and start over. j/k. I think this will be a great project, but I am tempering my expectations a little. Remember the first time funding was lined up for the Book Cadillac?

gdogslim Guest

""Planner, wouldn't it save Beal a lot of money and paperwork if he could just set it on fire and start over.""

-^ It just may be a viable business model. It worked for the historic Thompson Block.
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/large-f...is-depot-town/

Maybe Dan Gilbert could loan them the cash, he's got a good credit line. huh?
    If they default, then he owns it.

Unfortunately the top of the Broderick was "modernized" back in the mid 20th century... there used to be a fancy cornice around the top, as well as a "Chippendale" pediment on the top of each of the sides. Unfortunately J. C. Beale mentioned in the past that they would not be replaced during any renovations/restorations. A pity.....

Call me when they are no longer using the word 'pending'

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Call me when they are no longer using the word 'pending'
    What's your number, Habitater?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...redevelopment#

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Wow thanks BOD.... with the Broderick Tower soon to be developed... the Madison Building getting new tenants, the United Artists Building being renovated, and the Kales Building a done deal.... Grand Circus Park is finally starting to get some new life [[besides the Opera House and Comerica Park).

As the thread starter, I feel inclined to circle back around and say Bravo! to everyone involved in making this happen. The real work on these projects takes place before a shovel ever hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wow thanks BOD.... with the Broderick Tower soon to be developed... the Madison Building getting new tenants, the United Artists Building being renovated, and the Kales Building a done deal.... Grand Circus Park is finally starting to get some new life [[besides the Opera House and Comerica Park).
    I'd click a "Like" button on this comment if I could. After so many losses and days spent banging my head against the wall, it's nice to see hope - if not Detroit - rising from the ashes and rubble piles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Unfortunately the top of the Broderick was "modernized" back in the mid 20th century... there used to be a fancy cornice around the top, as well as a "Chippendale" pediment on the top of each of the sides. Unfortunately J. C. Beale mentioned in the past that they would not be replaced during any renovations/restorations. A pity.....
    I believe I read that some of the cornice remained until just a few years ago and it was JC Beal that removed it... but again that's just what I read.

Downtown Detroit's long-dormant David Broderick Tower will be renovated for residential apartments under a financial deal in the process of closing soon.

Fred Beal, president of the Ann Arbor-based JC Beal Construction and the representative of the owners of the project, said Friday he hoped the closing would be completed within days.
    Robert Kraemer, president of Kraemer Design Group, a Detroit architectural firm working on the project, said the financial closing is expected to be finished by early next week, with Bank of America and other financial entities providing financing.
    "It's as real as it gets," Kraemer said Friday. "It's exciting. It's a real deal."
    The building is at 10 Witherell, on the southeast corner of Woodward and Grand Circus Park.
    The renovation is expected to cost at least $40 million.
    Work is expected to begin soon after the financial closing is complete.
    Built in 1927 and designed by architect Louis Kamper, the 34-story tower was initially known as the Eaton Tower, but got a name change after businessman David Broderick bought it in the 1940s.
    The building has been vacant since the mid-1980s but has had a bar on the first floor.
    The developers consist of a diverse ownership group of about two dozen individuals and entities, including the Higgins Family Trust, which has owned the building for many years.
    Plans call for the office tower to be renovated into about 120 rental apartments, with the ones on the upper floors being among the highest rental apartments in the city.
    Like all recent deals downtown, the Broderick project is taking advantage of various tax credits available to such projects.
    Plans to renovate the Broderick had first been promised as early as 2005, but difficulties in financing a deal, particularly during the recession and real estate crash, have delayed the project.

Read more: Broderick Tower in Detroit to become apartment building | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
    Last edited by begingri; December-04-10 at 04:06 PM.

I wonder if the decision by Quicken Loan to move more employees downtown indirectly helped the developers obtain financing of this project?

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    I wonder if the decision by Quicken Loan to move more employees downtown indirectly helped the developers obtain financing of this project?
    I'm sure that was a factor in their pitch to the bank to obtain the financing. The fact that downtown rentals are very near capacity with demand continuing to rise would certainly help convince a bank that the project is viable, especially with the tax credits they continue to amass.

skippers rule?

gdogslim Guest

I hope it rolls forward, it would definatley help downtown.
    Would these be considered tax breaks for the Rich?

Interesting that there's no mention of this elsewhere.... figured Crain's might have some info...

Maybe Crain's is waiting until financing really IS secured, as opposed to 'almost' secured. I can't even remember how many times we've heard this building is being renovated over the last 5 years, and absolutely nothing happens. Frustrating.

Default Email from Beal

Just got this email...

Ryan
    The Broderick Tower Building is being re-developed as 127 apartments on floors 5-34, with 3 floors of office on floors 2-4, and a restaurant below. Parking will be provided in the Grand Circus Park garage directly across the street and surface lots nearby, and lots more information on the project is available at www.brodericktower.com With construction just starting this fall however, the apartments will not be available until approximately September 2012. We will be in a position to provide more specific pricing and schedule information once the project is underway.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Fred
    Fred J. Beal, President
    JC Beal Construction Inc. and
    MOTOWN CONSTRUCTION PARTNERS LLC
    Cell: 313-282-3617 fjbeal@jcbeal.com
    www.jcbeal.com

That is the same email response I've received, too. Once this year, and once last year.

It's the same email they send to everyone, and the same they've been sending out for years. The only thing they change is the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    It's the same email they send to everyone, and the same they've been sending out for years. The only thing they change is the date.
    I figured as much. As if the president of the company would send that. I love how generic it is.

I replied to the email saying thanks for sending me a generic computer generated response.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast