Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

The cars parked at the doorway of the Broderick are the same company that's doing the facade and lighting improvements on the two buildings just past Bleu, south on Woodward. I walked by there today and did a double-take when I saw that they say demolition on some of their Ford Focuses.

Demolition as in COMPLETE DEMOLITION of the Tower? Or, demolition as in removal of debris prior to a renovation of the building?

Zak and I may just have to check this one out!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Demolition as in COMPLETE DEMOLITION of the Tower? Or, demolition as in removal of debris prior to a renovation of the building?
    They are demolishing all of Brush Park as well.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Zak and I may just have to check this one out!
    Damn straight!

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    The cars parked at the doorway of the Broderick are the same company that's doing the facade and lighting improvements on the two buildings just past Bleu, south on Woodward. I walked by there today and did a double-take when I saw that they say demolition on some of their Ford Focuses.
    Is this the same sort of thing that was referenced here in the building next to Bleu thread?

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...ckers-of-Hope/

Yes, I took those snaps of the building down the block and they walked around to the front of the Broderick building when I did my double take. I'm sure that those cars are the guys who are working on the facade and lighting projects down Woodward. OR ARE THEY!

I have it on good authority that the renovations on the Broderick are set to begin very soon -- if they aren't already in progress [[I was told "this fall") -- with a September 2012 projected completion date. This is, of course, all talk so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

The email is long gone, but I sent an inquiry to the email address on the Broderick site. The reply basically said that the renovations would begin this fall, and that it would be move in ready by this time next year. Ambitious, and totally unbelievable.

I asked last year what the status with the renovation was, and was told that it would be move-in ready by now.

Parking ON Woodward is a no-no... so any workers working on buildings on Woodward would likely find the closest place to park their trucks.... and that would likely be on Witherell at GCP in front of the Broderick Tower...

Right. They gave me two years, making it a little more believable.

Again, this project has been on hold for so long -- until the lights are on during a mid-summer Tigers game, all news of development should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Beal family has several construction companies: JC Beal, Beal Demolition, etc. They all work together nearly indistinguishable from each other. So just cause you see a Beal Demo vehicle, don't get too concerned. Among the few things that they are truly concerned about, historic preservation is one of them. If any demo is happening, it's likely clean out and/or selective demolition work.

As far as the Broderick, this is one of several rehab projects the Beals are in totally over their heads [[and financially underwater) on as developers. As general contractors they do good work. But development is not one of their strong suits when it comes to complicated historic rehab projects. I wouldn't hold your breath on any of their development projects.

gdogslim Guest

Isn't m. higgins the owner of the broderick and beal a small investor developer?
    Financing: I don't see how they could secure 45 mill or whatever in this environment.
    They are using the building, In my humble opinion as an opportunity to make money on any chance of funds they can get from taxpayers, er.. the government agencies that are trying to rebuild from the connections at the DAC.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this nice located bldg get its redo, but supply and demand are still too far out of sync for anything to happen outside of 25 million of a tax subsidy to get the TOTAL rehab going.

And another thing, Mayor Bing, with all respect, please get Detroit City out of the real estate business, sell everything [[non city) on the books for whatever you can get [[within reason) release the gov't bureacratic stranglehold and collect taxes and other money associated with development. Banks don't want to be in the real estate business for a reason as well.
    Last edited by gdogslim; November-21-10 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added from dont getme ...

bartock Guest

I'll be cynical and say I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010120...nto-apartments

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post

I agree with you. However, I feel a little more optimistic about it being that Quicken Loans bought the Madison next door. Maybe, just maybe we will see something happen...

I'm sick of looking at that beauty out of my windows as it is.

Buildings of Detroit FB feed just listed yesterday about a "Huge development this coming week"

If they would just light up the facade on the roof it would look that much better. Stott looks great on the outside at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post

I am, as always, cautiously optimistic. The hold up all along with this project has been financing. The article says they are close to securing financing, and should that happen, we will finally get a renovated Broderick. Fred Beal said a few months ago that they were looking for financing which comprised the final piece of the project, here's to hoping this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    If they would just light up the facade on the roof it would look that much better. Stott looks great on the outside at night.
    That would be sweet....I noticed that at around 3:00 am the Stott's lights go off....but no one sees that unless they're up that late..or early.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    There are pictures on 'Buildings of Detroit' of the Broderick back in the day when the top was lit up... When it is all lit up, it looks a lot like the Water Board Building on Randolph.

Also, with the facade light up, it would provide a more "welcoming" atmosphere to the downtown area. The building would also hopefully provide more retail options to Woodward and Grand Circus Park, as well as street life. Furthermore, I believe these apartments will occupy rather quickly. The views the website shows are amazing. No side of the building has a bad view!

Now....if only we can get the Whitney building renovated and occupied...thus completing the "gateway" to downtown. GCP could totally be the place to be...although I live there and think it already is.

Planner, wouldn't it save Beal a lot of money and paperwork if he could just set it on fire and start over. j/k. I think this will be a great project, but I am tempering my expectations a little. Remember the first time funding was lined up for the Book Cadillac?

gdogslim Guest

""Planner, wouldn't it save Beal a lot of money and paperwork if he could just set it on fire and start over.""

-^ It just may be a viable business model. It worked for the historic Thompson Block.
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/large-f...is-depot-town/

Maybe Dan Gilbert could loan them the cash, he's got a good credit line. huh?
    If they default, then he owns it.

Unfortunately the top of the Broderick was "modernized" back in the mid 20th century... there used to be a fancy cornice around the top, as well as a "Chippendale" pediment on the top of each of the sides. Unfortunately J. C. Beale mentioned in the past that they would not be replaced during any renovations/restorations. A pity.....

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast