Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

This would make my year if it actually got started. This building is in such a prime location. I stare at it from the window of my apartment and dream of of it being full of life and light. I had told my family that with my career dreams well on their way to fulfillment that my next unreachable goal was to find a way to bring this building back. Sad I wo t be the one to do it but thrilled it's getting done.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post
    This would make my year if it actually got started. This building is in such a prime location. I stare at it from the window of my apartment and dream of of it being full of life and light. I had told my family that with my career dreams well on their way to fulfillment that my next unreachable goal was to find a way to bring this building back. Sad I wo t be the one to do it but thrilled it's getting done.
    I am with you... it kind of welcomes you to downtown... now for the David Whitney Building...

I was talking to a project manager today at the telecommunication company I work for about any work coming up. He said, "Im working on a bid to rewire a 35 story Broderick building downtown that is being made into condo's." I asked if it was the Broderick tower and, not being firmiliar with downtown and only having glanced at the job, he wasn't sure. But what else could it be? He also described some of the living quarters in the sweets and it sounded like what I have seen on the official web site of the building.......

Just thought I would share this and see if there is any news on the building....
    Last edited by One4Detroit; January-26-10 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One4Detroit View Post
    I was talking to a project manager today at the telecommunication company I work for about any work coming up. Not being firmiliar with downtown, and only having glanced at the job he said, "Im working on a bid to rewire a 35 story Broderick building downtown that is being made into condo's" I asked if it was the Broderick tower and he wasnt sure, but what else could it be? He also described some of the living quarters in the sweets and it sounded like what I have seen on the official web site of the building.......

Just thought I would share this and see if there is any news on the building....
    It has to be the tower... there are only so many 35 story buildings downtown, and only one I know of is a Broderick broderick building...

God I hope that is true. I'd love to live in that building once it's rehabbed. Great views all around.

Default Activity in the Broderick Tower

Walking by this afternoon and there were 4 men walking in with big rolls of what appeared to be blue prints

Quote Originally Posted by cgellasch View Post
    Walking by this afternoon and there were 4 men walking in with big rolls of what appeared to be blue prints
    With any luck, construction would hopefully begin by mid March.

Wouldn't it be great to see some lights on in the Broderick Tower after so many years. I remember seeing the Fort Shelby and Book Cadillac hotels lit up during construction for the first time in decades, what a sight that was after so long. Maybe sometime this year something will start happening at the Broderick, which has always been one of my favorite buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Wouldn't it be great to see some lights on in the Broderick Tower after so many years. I remember seeing the Fort Shelby and Book Cadillac hotels lit up during construction for the first time in decades, what a sight that was after so long. Maybe sometime this year something will start happening at the Broderick, which has always been one of my favorite buildings.
    Well, in his letter to the State House, Fred Beal stated that the project could be "shovel ready" in 90 days from the passing of tax credit legislation... That legislation passed in mid December, so I think a lot of us are eagerly waiting to see if this finally happens... now for the David Whitney Building...

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Well, in his letter to the State House, Fred Beal stated that the project could be "shovel ready" in 90 days from the passing of tax credit legislation... That legislation passed in mid December, so I think a lot of us are eagerly waiting to see if this finally happens... now for the David Whitney Building...

Isn't the Whitney supposedly in pretty good shape? The problem is that there's too much office space downtown as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Isn't the Whitney supposedly in pretty good shape? The problem is that there's too much office space downtown as it is.
    Yes, from what I have heard the DWB is is very good shape, and looks like it too, considering it has been empty since 1993. The owners, [[based out of Troy, I believe) keep pretty close tabs on it... i can recall multiple times this year that I have gone by there and seen lights on in the lobby, and doors open. They have said that the building is empty by choice... no shit right?? but if the area continues to rebound, maybe they will renovate it... who knows, but at least it is sealed from the elements... whenever there is a broken window, they seem to at least board it up from the inside.

DWB has been abandoned since 2001-2002.

Yes, from what I have heard the DWB is is very good shape, and looks like it too, considering it has been empty since 1993. The owners, [[based out of Troy, I believe) keep pretty close tabs on it... i can recall multiple times this year that I have gone by there and seen lights on in the lobby, and doors open. They have said that the building is empty by choice... no shit right?? but if the area continues to rebound, maybe they will renovate it... who knows, but at least it is sealed from the elements... whenever there is a broken window, they seem to at least board it up from the inside.
    There is a man who takes care of the building. The upper floors are in pretty bad shape from vandalism and scrapping, but thankfully there is not too much in the way of water damage or broken windows. The large glass atrium has some broken panes but the rain & weather that enters is minimal. The lobby is in very nice shape. The building is largely shut down but the electricity is kept on, the basement kept from flooding, and 24-hour security is posted at the site. The Troy owners are keeping tabs on the developments downtown and waiting for the right time to rehab the building. They are waiting for a big tenant along the lines of Quicken to step in, but right now only closed-door talks are taking place.

This is a good sign. The views from this building are probably some of the best in the city. It'd be great to see this plan takeoff.

Also a quick question someone on here can answer. On the Broderick, why are some of the windows near the top bricked off? It looks like some of the arched windows were covered on the, I wanna say northern side of the building facing Comerica. Anybody know why and when that was done?
    Last edited by mikeg19; February-02-10 at 11:32 PM.

Drove by the Broderick this evening... the protective scaffold tunnel on the sidewalk has been moved out from the building... this scaffolding was previously up against the building... I presume this is to provide space for the dumpsters for renovation... so this could be indicative of the renovation beginning VERY soon... anyone else heard anything??

Drove by the Broderick this evening... the protective scaffold tunnel on the sidewalk has been moved out from the building... this scaffolding was previously up against the building... I presume this is to provide space for the dumpsters for renovation... so this could be indicative of the renovation beginning VERY soon... anyone else heard anything??
    Sorry, they've been that way for a long time now, at least 9 months if not more.

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#50...-14.1&pid=5082
    Last edited by leland_palmer; February-21-10 at 09:21 PM.

This is good news for the Broderick Tower.

Last night, while watching the fireworks from a parking garage in midtown, we all noticed the entire Northeast corner of the Broderick tower had lights on. Looked as though a stairwell or shaft of some sort was lit. Any information?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdoc View Post
    Last night, while watching the fireworks from a parking garage in midtown, we all noticed the entire Northeast corner of the Broderick tower had lights on. Looked as though a stairwell or shaft of some sort was lit. Any information?
    They could very well be about to start the renovation. Fred Beal said in a letter to the Michigan House, that renovations could begin within 90 days of approval of a tax credit. Said credit was signed into law by Jennifer "You'll be Blown Away" Granholm in December. So it has been 6 months, it wouldn't surprise me if they are finally starting it with the infusion of people that downtown is about to see... anyone else know anything??

That would be great....though my guess is the developers/owners decided to have a nice fireworks party from an upper floor....

I havent seen lights on that building in awhile, maybe I just never noticed. Maybe the were up there watching the fireworks

Why do we always tease ourselves? One building closes down, another gets renovated. It's a viscous cycle around here. I'm happy in fact if the Broderick is FINALLY going to get redeveloped, but hell now the Stott is closing. Every time it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back in this city. It does seem that a lot of projects that were ready to go before the recession hit are either starting up or are getting back on track, but some sustained momentum for once would be nice. If everything going on downtown is lining up the way it looks to be, a REAL revival of downtown may be just around the corner here. But I'll still be cautiously optimistic....

I've checked the last two nights and no lights were on. Who knows...

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast