Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Damn nice, it would be really cool if they could to something to light the outside of the building a bit. Just to spice it up!

Very cool! Appreciate the pics.

I'm grateful it's just lit up. There are some bright spots on the horizon, and I hope things get even brighter.

Wow! Looks great. I don't think I've ever seen it lit before? Maybe 25 years ago.

I was downtown a few days ago and noticed lights on in the Broderick, I got a few pics but they aren't as good as the pics you have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Someone on the other thread mentioned that it's too bad they didn't add a fancy top to the Broderick Tower.

With some Photoshop help, I'm sort of partial to 12th Century Gothic...
    That would be hideous lol. A simple crown or cornice would be enough. Wish they could have put back the old cornice, but I'm just happy this building has been renovated. It took far too long.

Nice, it sure is great to see it lit up. http://www.motorgay.net/

some shameless blog promotion eh?

when are the renovations finished..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when are the renovations finished..
    If the renovation is still on track [[and I haven't heard otherwise) the first residents are scheduled to move in mid to late fall 2012.

This is going to be HUGE for the CBD. Things like this are what lead to demand for retail.

Beautiful building!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Someone on the other thread mentioned that it's too bad they didn't add a fancy top to the Broderick Tower.

With some Photoshop help, I'm sort of partial to 12th Century Gothic...
    Reminds me of this building
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Temple_Building

a friend has been working on the project, reports lots of folks getting sick from conditions in the building...There are also some poor guys from Jalisco who are doing Asbestos abatement without wetting suits or proper wetting down the material...

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post
    a friend has been working on the project, reports lots of folks getting sick from conditions in the building...There are also some poor guys from Jalisco who are doing Asbestos abatement without wetting suits or proper wetting down the material...

I would have thought that the asbestos abatement would have been completed quite awhile ago, considering they are working on the build out of the floors and have put all the windows in...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I would have thought that the asbestos abatement would have been completed quite awhile ago, considering they are working on the build out of the floors and have put all the windows in...
    That was done quite some time ago end of 2010 i want to guess? your "friend" sounds like he's misinformed or flat out lying to you

Sounds like your friend is one of the carpenters that have been picketing the building.

A quick question about the asbestos abatement: they are removing the asbestos right? I thought I read somewhere that its just being covered up. This can't be the case can it?

Depends on teh conditions. In certain areas it'll need to be removed, but if the form of asbestos is intact you're legally able to just paint over it or cover it up with no issues

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    That was done quite some time ago end of 2010 i want to guess? your "friend" sounds like he's misinformed or flat out lying to you
    My friend has been in the building trades for some time, has seldom been one to whine or tell tall tales.. he certainly knows what asbestos is [[and it likely is gone from the upper floors) , but I realize that people who spend a lot of time on internet forums often know more than those who spend time in the real world or on actual job sites. Apparently there are a number of people not feeling well after working there, but maybe it's just the MI weather.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    A quick question about the asbestos abatement: they are removing the asbestos right? I thought I read somewhere that its just being covered up. This can't be the case can it?
    Varies by city. Some local codes would require complete removal if there was a change of use and this much renovation. In other cases, like an office renovation for example, workers can cover up an asbestos floor or piping. they don't require any special suits or respiratory equipment, and the public can occupy spaces around the construction area.

So as long as workers aren't ripping apart asbestos covered materials that would cause huge dust clouds, the risk of hazardous exposure is very low. There's plenty of other more dangerous things that could happen such as mold exposure or a physical injury from tripping, sharp objects, strong chemical adhesives, etc.

I believe in any sort of demolition work, special masks should be required. It just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Varies by city. Some local codes would require complete removal if there was a change of use and this much renovation. In other cases, like an office renovation for example, workers can cover up an asbestos floor or piping. they don't require any special suits or respiratory equipment, and the public can occupy spaces around the construction area.

So as long as workers aren't ripping apart asbestos covered materials that would cause huge dust clouds, the risk of hazardous exposure is very low. There's plenty of other more dangerous things that could happen such as mold exposure or a physical injury from tripping, sharp objects, strong chemical adhesives, etc.

I believe in any sort of demolition work, special masks should be required. It just makes sense.
    Right. And I mean... to be honest asbestos is NOT dangerous if left alone..

It was lit last Friday and I remember pointing that out to my brother outside of the bar. Looks great, I'm in that area almost every weekend so it's been kind of cool to see it's progress.

Completely false and fallacious. Post your propaganda somewhere else.

Here are some of the posts this guy has started:

"right wing criminals steal another election "

"Pakistanis see Taliban as American Conspiracy "

"how gun shows contribute to crime "

Thanks for the pictures Lowell!

As a transplanted Detroiter, it makes me feel very proud to see pics like this of the city coming back. Brings back lots of memories too.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast