Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

I maybe have an idea....

I hope they do but if they are not reconstructing the crown of the tower back to the 1928 version, could they recreate it with neon?

Interior/exterior photos of the renovation:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...2230807&Ref=PH

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Interior/exterior photos of the renovation:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...2230807&Ref=PH
    I have looked at these pictures before and I have a question. What physician would just leave their log book in their old office? I understand if they move out they may not take everything, which is kind of irresponsible as it is, but why leave a log book with patient info? I know that is kind of random...

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    I have looked at these pictures before and I have a question. What physician would just leave their log book in their old office? I understand if they move out they may not take everything, which is kind of irresponsible as it is, but why leave a log book with patient info? I know that is kind of random...
    I know. Based on the stuff that get left behind, you'd think people fled the city like it was Pompeii.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I know. Based on the stuff that get left behind, you'd think people fled the city like it was Pompeii.
    I agree. I am not sure about doctors, but lawyers have an ethical obligation to keep client materials confidential. Also, I would imagine there are laws regarding keeping patient's medical information confidential, in addition to any ethical professional obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I agree. I am not sure about doctors, but lawyers have an ethical obligation to keep client materials confidential. Also, I would imagine there are laws regarding keeping patient's medical information confidential, in addition to any ethical professional obligation.
    There definitely is, even before HIPAA there were regulations in place to keep patients information confidential.

bartock Guest

Ethics aside, I think HIPAA is the first federal mandate regarding the privacy of health information. I am sure there were safeguards before, but that may have amounted to keeping medical information stored in cabinets or on designated shelves. But I'm not even sure if there was that in 1942. That book wasn't found on that chair, I'm sure. Besides, it is called a log book and may not contain "medical information." Sounds more like a scheduling book [[now probably considered medical information), or maybe billing. Also, I'm no doctor, but back then most worked independently and not as part of health systems, etc. Very possible that when a physician died, many of that physician's reocrds ending up collecting dust.

I am wondering why this is in the news today. I was under the impression that the renovation had already began. What is the projected opening date? I also find it funny they say "groundbreaking".

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110418/BIZ/104180379/1361/Crews-break-ground-on-$53M-Broderick-Tower-renovation

^ Also, not sure why it won't become a link. sorry about that.

As a side note, this project would NOT be moving forward if not for the State Historic Preservation tax credits Gov. Snyder hopes to derail. The Broderick gets them because they were awarded before he took office. If he gets his way and the credits disappear, how many other valuable historic properties in Detroit [[and outstate) with real potential for rehabilitation will never be viable?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    As a side note, this project would NOT be moving forward if not for the State Historic Preservation tax credits Gov. Snyder hopes to derail. The Broderick gets them because they were awarded before he took office. If he gets his way and the credits disappear, how many other valuable historic properties in Detroit [[and outstate) with real potential for rehabilitation will never be viable?
    There was an article a week or two ago that said Snyder had loosened his stance on the Historic and Brownfield credits. I can't remember where I read it, MLive maybe, but after prodding from local leaders such as Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and others around the state, Snyder said the credits will make it back. Individuals such as The Broderick Tower project leader, Fred Beal had been very publicly vocal about the importance of the credits, asked if the Broderick project would happen without the credits, he replied, absolutely not. I will do my best to find the article.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    I am wondering why this is in the news today. I was under the impression that the renovation had already began. What is the projected opening date? I also find it funny they say "groundbreaking".

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110418/BIZ/104180379/1361/Crews-break-ground-on-$53M-Broderick-Tower-renovation

^ Also, not sure why it won't become a link. sorry about that.
    Not sure why they call it a groundbreaking as it was really a ribbon cutting. I was there along with lots of local dignitaries and movers & shakers with the project including Mayor Bing, George Jackson, Council President Pugh, Fred Beal, etc. Beal announced that the interior demolition is about 75% complete with work continuing around the clock [[we actually heard the workers upstairs while the ceremony was happening) and the grand opening will be Fall 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    time for public and prvate moneys to come together for such projects. Let the market speak for renovations now. Time to stop depending on the government. They have set a lot of people and business up for failure by giving them their tit and now someone is taking it away. The government has failed us before and it is really failing now, it's time to not depend on them at all!

Very excited about this development though!

Projects like this will not happen without the tax credits.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    time for public and prvate moneys to come together for such projects. Let the market speak for renovations now. Time to stop depending on the government. They have set a lot of people and business up for failure by giving them their tit and now someone is taking it away. The government has failed us before and it is really failing now, it's time to not depend on them at all!

Very excited about this development though!
    Historic preservation credits bring in $11.37 for every dollar spent. And there are many other benefits. Here is a good article detailing them: Freep

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanTom View Post
    Historic preservation credits bring in $11.37 for every dollar spent. And there are many other benefits. Here is a good article detailing them: Freep
    Thank you for the article. I was not aware of the numbers involved with rehabbing a building.

I guess, I hope, that if these credits decrease or do go away that people do not stop trying to find funding for these projects from different avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanTom View Post
    While I haven't analyzed the quoted numbers for preservation in depth like I have with the film tax credits, it sounds like historic preservation has a lot better bang for the buck, with more permanence. The Book-Cadillac isn't going to move to another state.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    While I haven't analyzed the quoted numbers for preservation in depth like I have with the film tax credits, it sounds like historic preservation has a lot better bang for the buck, with more permanence. The Book-Cadillac isn't going to move to another state.
    If it DID move to another state, that would suck because having a walking 30 story building would be a huge tourist attraction, though probably a burden on the infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    The historic preservation credits are significantly different from the film credits... The film industry is going to go where ever they get the most money... Some of these productions are metaphorically printing money by the time it's all said and done and yet they continue to say they want money from the government in the form of tax credits... a 42% credit is astronomical, especially when most films are viable on their own.

The historic preservation credits are merely a gap-filler. When there is a project like the Book Cadillac or Broderick Tower where the developers are a few million short with no way to recoup that cost, that is where they use the credits. None of these developments will ever be swimming in cash the way the film industry is. Granted the BC and BT are two extreme cases that got more credits than most, but with the relatively low value of the property in Detroit, no project to restore an abandoned building can be viable by itself, and at the end of the day, we at least have a piece of infrastructure here that we got out of the deal.

Have they released rent pricing yet for the units? I can't find anything on the website.

I wonder what type of retail and/or restaurant will occupy the ground level...have any interest floated through yet? Walking pass today on Woodward behind where the collasp building was, there pouring the foundation of what..?..to replace what was there before?

In the current plans, the building next door is to be replaced. I am guessing they are already pouring cement there to use it for construction vehicles so they do not block Woodward. Unless they were pouring footings as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Have they released rent pricing yet for the units? I can't find anything on the website.
    I thought I read somewhere $600 for studios on up to $2700 for huge units.

http://detnews.com/article/20110418/...ers-renovation

here is an articale about rent prices and businesses planned.

Good, I'm glad they're not charging a ton of money for the units.

I would love to have one of those 4 penthouses with the small corner triangular balconies. I also like the spiral staircases those units have.

And rather than the Weyland Whales on the east wall... I think some creative Tromphe O'eil [[fool the eye) paintings with fake architecture painted on it... including some creative ads in frames down the slender wall would be an eye catcher, as well as a revenue generator.

Some folks don't like billboards and signage on downtown buildings... but in the 1st half of the 20th century downtown Detroit was covered in signs.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast