Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Gistock, they do that there when they renovate buildings. It's actually the screen around the scaffolding. While I was there and in Florence they do this a lot on buildings people take photos of such as Museums, landmarks, etc. Most of the time it's just a picture of what you would be looking at if the screen was not there.

The same was done to the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin while it was being worked on.

True. Especially here on the west coast. Almost had a surfer swallowed up last week by the whales that like to feed on the very small fish here. Anyways, I'm sure things will be fine. I'm glad to see that dark building finally get some life back into it. It's kind of in the center of the city and stands out like a beacon. I'll keep checking up on it both here and facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Hey, everyone likes whales!

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Gistock, they do that there when they renovate buildings. It's actually the screen around the scaffolding. While I was there and in Florence they do this a lot on buildings people take photos of such as Museums, landmarks, etc. Most of the time it's just a picture of what you would be looking at if the screen was not there.
    True, they do the trompe l'oeil when doing construction work... but it is done on regular buildings waaaaaay more often than on renovations.

Also, it is very very common on the insides of buildings. Atmospheric movie palaces are likely the most common, although much of that fakery is clouds projected on a blank blue ceiling.

One of the most glorious uses of interior trompe l'oeil is the "Heaven Room" at Burghley House, one of the great prodigy houses of Britain....
    http://www.burghley.co.uk/html/heaven.html

[[
    William Cecil, Lord Burghley was Queen Elizabeth I's Lord Chancellor for over 40 years in the 16th century).

That building in Chicago looks awesome!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    True. Especially here on the west coast. Almost had a surfer swallowed up last week by the whales that like to feed on the very small fish here. Anyways, I'm sure things will be fine. I'm glad to see that dark building finally get some life back into it. It's kind of in the center of the city and stands out like a beacon. I'll keep checking up on it both here and facebook.
    Hehe, good thing I don't live on the West Coast, not too many whales in Detroit to swallow me :P

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Eliboyer.... that is a gem.... imagine if parts of some of downtown buildings that had blank walls were decorated in cool ways like that.... such as the Woodward side of the Guardian Building,and at least 1 side of the Cadillac Tower.

One building that had a blank wall for many years was the United Artists Building side facing GCP. It looks more modern than the other sides, and doesn't have the arches along the top. There was a reason that one side doesn't match the others.... originally it was slated as a blank wall in case something tall was going between the UA and Tuller. But when that never happened they decided to add more modern windows on that side.

Check out the 1928 NE side to the modern NE side of the UA Building...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

According to a recent article in Model D, the Broderick is already 20% leased, with half of that to Quicken-related folks.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/b...oit120611.aspx

When is someone going to open a grocery store in this area? Like on Adams or something. Between: Kales, Fyfe, Broderick, Lofts on Woodward, Merchants Row, Washington square, the senior citizens apartments in some of the buildings, plus the Harmonie park area buildings among others there has got to be a demand for a grocer to be open 7 days a week in the immediate area....that or they wait until whole foods opens up and hope they deliver?

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    When is someone going to open a grocery store in this area? Like on Adams or something. Between: Kales, Fyfe, Broderick, Lofts on Woodward, Merchants Row, Washington square, the senior citizens apartments in some of the buildings, plus the Harmonie park area buildings among others there has got to be a demand for a grocer to be open 7 days a week in the immediate area....that or they wait until whole foods opens up and hope they deliver?
    Like Eve's on Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yep, they're a full grocery downtown. The produce is sometimes lacking, but that's probably because they haven't been patronized as much as they should be. They DO have the new "triple double Oreos", which are fucking awesome and weren't at Meijer's last time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Oh. I retract my statement. Had no idea.

A couple questions. I'm probably going to be looking to make a move next fall winter and I've been eyeing the Broderick Tower as a potential place to live. I'm a young, single professional just starting his career and living on a budget. What can I expect to pay in utilities living downtown? I see they have parking for $75 a month underground, so I know that's an expense. I'm just trying to gauge my costs. I don't want to get in over my head. Also, are the David Whitney apartments said to be less or more expensive than the Broderick? I've been looking at the $750 Broderick ones. And lastly, what impact would Detroit declaring bankruptcy or having an EM enabled have on people living in the city? Any thoughts would be appreciated guys and gals. Thanks.

From Curbed: Looks like the Broderick will have 3 restaurants, and they could be ready to open by April. It will be exciting to see this area of Downtown when Gilbert finishes renovating the buildings he owns on the block and the David Whitney [[knock on wood) opens up!

http://detroit.curbed.com/tags/broderick-grill

Great! More restaurants Downtown, the better, plus the continued growth in the Grand Circus Park district.

Default Broderick Tower Question

I have a question for the historians on the Forum about the Broderick Tower. Was the building shown below added on to or was it torn down?
    Name:  BroderickQuestion.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  63.4 KB
    Last edited by EZZ; December-26-11 at 12:18 AM. Reason: ain't got no good English

Quote Originally Posted by EZZ View Post
    I have a question for the historians on the Forum about the Broderick Tower. Was the building shown below added on to or was it torn down?
    Name:  BroderickQuestion.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  63.4 KB
    The building on the right was indeed torn down in the mid 1920s for the Eaton [[now Broderick) Tower. The 1917 built Madison Theatre Building on the left survives, sans the auditorium.

Worth noting, too, that the Madison Theatre Building was his first downtown acquisition only a short 11 months ago.

Thank you Gistok and downtownguy. I was just curious. It appears to have the same footprint.

I think it does have the same footprint. I almost thought it would have been the same part of the building, but I think there's some subtle differences.

http://g.co/maps/6gz39 [[rotate to view it from the west)

Broderick's has 8 windows across while the building at the top of the page has 10. 15 if you look at the top floor of the older building. They only resemble each other because that was the facade style of the day. Almost had me fooled as well.

Went by this week and the Broderick is looking pretty spiffy on at least three sides:

Name:  2012-01-03 [[25).jpg
Views: 926
Size:  28.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Went by this week and the Broderick is looking pretty spiffy on at least three sides:

Name:  2012-01-03 [[25).jpg
Views: 926
Size:  28.8 KB
    Nice shot 1953!! I think it would be cool if they put some Trompe l'oeil painted in windows on the that [[elevator) side above the signage/whales.

Thanks, Gistok - and agreed on the windows.

I have heard the plan is to keep the ads up on the whale side of the building... If I was a resident with a window facing that way, I'd be pissed... just saying.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast