Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg81 View Post
    Probably means they're going to clad over the existing as those framing members appear to be spaced perhaps on 16 inch centers.... A cost saving move? Probably. Perhap's the original is too damaged or something. But keep in mind the big picture: One of Detroit's greats is well on the way to being saved.
    Woah, woah, slow down. It's a coffered ceiling. It was originally designed this way. It just needs some paint touch ups.

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&q...=1809&bih=1015

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Instead of buying a home, we are thinking about spending a few more years renting. If I can't get a two bedroom at my current residence, we might be putting a deposit on one of the two bedrooms at BT.
    Make sure it's on one of the upper floors so you won't be so distracted by all those Occupy Wall Street folks you have so much contempt for...

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Make sure it's on one of the upper floors so you won't be so distracted by all those Occupy Wall Street folks you have so much contempt for...
    LOL - if they’re still there come next September I'll be very impressed!

Anyone attend the open house today? More importantly, anyone get pics?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Anyone attend the open house today? More importantly, anyone get pics?
    Sure did. Here are the pics:

Name:  2011-11-05_16-08-03_635.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  33.8 KBName:  2011-11-05_15-40-23_167.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  40.6 KBName:  2011-11-05_15-42-46_626.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  19.7 KBName:  2011-11-05_15-46-08_657.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  36.8 KBName:  2011-11-05_15-59-33_467.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  25.5 KBName:  2011-11-05_15-59-51_814.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  26.3 KBName:  2011-11-05_15-59-54_918.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  26.6 KBName:  2011-11-05_16-00-09_536.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  26.7 KBName:  2011-11-05_16-00-20_575.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  27.7 KB

Oh man, that shot up north Woodward looks AWESOME! Too bad the cityscape in the foreground looks pretty depressing. Great views and nice pictures all around though.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-05-11 at 04:38 PM.

I just added several photos from the preview tour…follow the link below to get to the album:

http://woodwardspine.com/2011/11/05/2533/

Feel free to like The Woodward Spine on Facebook as well and if anyone wants pictures of a specific building or area of Detroit please let us know. I will add them to the list for next time.

Great photos! I did the tour yesterday too. Loved it! We heard that they had nearly 700 people through yesterday. They expected 500. My husband chickened out and wouldn't go up on the construction elevator. While I was upstairs he was talking to Beal people. One told him that Ilitch bought the penthouse. But another Beal person told me and others that they can only lease, can't sell, for 7 years due to the financing requirements. Most likely the tax credits.

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    Great photos! I did the tour yesterday too. Loved it! We heard that they had nearly 700 people through yesterday. They expected 500. My husband chickened out and wouldn't go up on the construction elevator. While I was upstairs he was talking to Beal people. One told him that Ilitch bought the penthouse. But another Beal person told me and others that they can only lease, can't sell, for 7 years due to the financing requirements. Most likely the tax credits.
    Thanks for the info, I wonder which Ilitch it was... the parents, or one of the kids [[Chris, Atanas, Denise, Lisa?).

Did the tour. Pretty impressive. However, for the two bedroom units in my price range I would be looking at the back side of the Wurlitzer and Metropolitan. Not very pretty. Looks as if we will be staying in the Kales.

BTW, I got into it with some of those fools camping out in the park....I told them I couldn't wait till they leave.....there were other things said but I must respect the virgin ears on this site.

Crains article says they will leave the whales on the building but continue to sell ads on top after the building is open. Tacky, tacky.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-the-broderick

I disagree that this is at all "tacky", sounds like a suburban cliche accent you are sporting?

This practice is common in all major cities, space is a limited and valuable here. Why would they want to give that up?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Crains article says they will leave the whales on the building but continue to sell ads on top after the building is open. Tacky, tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post

I guess dowtown must have been tacky for much of it's history, because there a few* ads on the buildings.

*By few I mean a crapload

I get that they can put an add there but it will have to be smaller. Each one they have added covered the windows.

I'd be pretty mad paying rent to have my windows blocked...haha...

Whales should be Free. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Oh man, that shot up north Woodward looks AWESOME! Too bad the cityscape in the foreground looks pretty depressing. Great views and nice pictures all around though.
    Pretty depressing?? That can be mended pretty easy. I see some graffiti on one of the walls. This could be a new cavas for one of those classic ads you sometimes still see on walls downtown. Would be nice to see a now defunct name reappear there like Hudson's department advertizing, in like, 1900's font.

Something like this.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-08-11 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Pretty depressing?? That can be mended pretty easy. I see some graffiti on one of the walls. This could be a new cavas for one of those classic ads you sometimes still see on walls downtown. Would be nice to see a now defunct name reappear there like Hudson's department advertizing, in like, 1900's font.

Something like this.
    I was looking more at all the empty space around brush park and Cass. It's just asking for something to be developed there. :P

TACKY???

Apparently some of you haven't actually looked at the Shorpy's pictures of Detroit in the olden days... where no matter where you looked there were ads all over the downtown area.

Any signage that goes over the Wales will NOT cover up the views of the windows at the edge of the murals. There's enough space to do signage without covering the entire wall.

And if it earns the building owner some extra bucks... more power to him... just look what GM did to the Ren Cen....

Parts of the mural would still show if the windows were not covered...that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Parts of the mural would still show if the windows were not covered...that was my point.
    Yes, you are correct... but wouldn't that just be the "water" colored peripheral part of the murals, ajnd not the whales themselves? So I don't think it would matter if that part wasn't covered over...

Depending on the color of the ad it may look very interesting with the brick color, the mural color and then the add color.

I'd be cool if they would get rid of the whale and open that side up with windows. Wishful thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    I'd be cool if they would get rid of the whale and open that side up with windows. Wishful thinking on my part.
    Umm, what would they do with the elevators then?

Throw those motherfuckers out. I was not aware that the elevators were on that side of the building. I was under the impression that they're in the center of the building. That said, perhaps they can do something more appealing on the aesthetics art side instead of having the whales there.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Umm, what would they do with the elevators then?

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    Throw those motherfuckers out. I was not aware that the elevators were on that side of the building. I was under the impression that they're in the center of the building. That said, perhaps they can do something more appealing on the aesthetics art side instead of having the whales there.
    Hey, everyone likes whales!

While I'm no fan of the whales, they're not that bad. But ads do bring in the revenue.

Perhaps a string of ads that appear hanging one from another on a set of chains would make for a nice attraction incorporating "trompe l'oeil" [[fool the eye) would be cool... generate revenue as well as interest...

Here's a really crazy architectural painted mural on a building in Paris... better than whales IMHO....
    http://craftlineup.blogspot.com/2010/08/trompe-loeil-architecture.html

T
    here could be all sorts of possibilities, such as the illusion of vines running up the building between the ads, etc.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast