Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Default Interesting.

I wasn't aware of the Boderick renovation. It's good to see that vs. an grey elephant. The Caddilac Hotel looks good too. Hopefully they can make it happen with the MCS building.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I wonder if they have at least some respect to the original architecture by Louis Kamper and not plaster the windows with glass wall.
    I prefer a contemporary look mixed with the old.

While walking by on Friday I got this peek inside through an opening in the fence.

As mentioned above the windows are filling in.

Lowell... is that a framework for a new lobby ceiling?? Or is it to stabilize the one that's already up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Lowell... is that a framework for a new lobby ceiling?? Or is it to stabilize the one that's already up there?
    Good question. When I look at a blow up of my pic, there appears to be decorative work under the frame work.

Probably means they're going to clad over the existing as those framing members appear to be spaced perhaps on 16 inch centers.... A cost saving move? Probably. Perhap's the original is too damaged or something. But keep in mind the big picture: One of Detroit's greats is well on the way to being saved.

That is the original plaster ceiling which will stay intact. The original details will remain as much as possible, so I hear. Nothing will be covered. Please reference historical pictures from www.brodericktower.com or www.historicdetroit.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg81 View Post
    Probably means they're going to clad over the existing as those framing members appear to be spaced perhaps on 16 inch centers.... A cost saving move? Probably. Perhap's the original is too damaged or something. But keep in mind the big picture: One of Detroit's greats is well on the way to being saved.

Thanks rjlj... I remember seeing some of those images, which was why I asked. It looked very attractive and was a historic part of the original building.

The thought of what they did to the Book Cadillac lobby ceiling still irritates me... they ripped out a wonderfully ornate gilded plaster grillwork ceiling that survived [[hidden above a decades old drop ceiling) for the entire time the building was in ruins... just so they could "modernize" it with a flat white ceiling....

I just hope that one day they can rip out the [[later) inserted 2nd and 3rd floor of the Penobscot Building lobby, and restore it to its' original appearance at some point...

I'm assuming they are leaving the large commercial area windows out as a means to move large objects/machinery in and out of the building? Or is there a service elevator somewhere in the building for large objects?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    That is the original plaster ceiling which will stay intact. The original details will remain as much as possible, so I hear. Nothing will be covered. Please reference historical pictures from www.brodericktower.com or www.historicdetroit.org.
    Thanks for that link! I didn't realize that was an arched and coffered ceiling-- Nice to see it being saved.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Gistok mentioned the original open interior of the Penobscot. I believe the only picture of it that I've ever seen was a tiny footnote in a book about the Guardian. Does anyone have pictures of the Penobscot's original open lobby/banking hall? It might be my favorite downtown building and I'd love to see it as it looked when it opened.

That frame work is original and is part of the ceiling.

http://www.historicdetroit.org/works...ericklobby.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Good question. When I look at a blow up of my pic, there appears to be decorative work under the frame work.

Is that all marble? The black/green [[sorry I can't tell the color) walls? If so I'm really surprised nobody had smashed that the entire time the building was open...

Mike19... while I can't say for certain... I would venture to guess that it is indeed real marble. It looks identical to the black marble of the outer [[ticket) lobby of the Michigan theatre, buit around the same time as the Broderick [[Eaton) Tower.

The rents on the website seem pretty reasonable with a wide range of prices. For instance, you can get a one bedroom on the 30th floor for 1,000 monthly. Maybe we should chip in for a dyes party suite. Lowell, please arrange.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Is that all marble? The black/green [[sorry I can't tell the color) walls? If so I'm really surprised nobody had smashed that the entire time the building was open...
    MikeG - when I worked downtown up until about 1995, the Broderick Bldg was not exactly an open structure. There was still a business on the ground floor - The Flaming Embers and maybe for a while a sports bar, so it was never exactly abandoned like other buildings. Also, I would see lights on in upper parts of the building at times, who knows why because the last tenants above the first floor vacated around 1983 or so. But electric service obviously was on in the building until the late 1990s, maybe even later. then around 2005 architects, etc. started studies to convert the building. But from I could make out from the street, the lobby was never exactly trashed and even had lights on at times. But it was a small lobbly, nothing like other buildings, not an arcade type first floor.

agrahlma Guest

Save the date - November 5th [[10am - 4pm)

From the Broderick Tower Facebook page...

Motown Construction Partners, LLC is pleased to announce it is now taking reservations for the Broderick Tower Residences that are scheduled for occupancy in September 2012.

Please join us at the Broderick Tower Preview to see floor plans and tour the impressive construction operation. We'll have hot beverages and you will have the opportunity to ride to the top to witness the spectacular views of Detroit and to tour several partially constructed floors. See what the Broderick Tower has to offer before anyone else.

Reserve your Broderick Tower Residence online or in person.

For more information see and to apply for your residence today, visit BroderickTower.com

agrahlma Guest

Is anyone going to this event?

Name:  broderick_tower.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  35.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post

I wish I could but I'll be out of the country next week. I'm very excited to see the Broderick.

I hope to go, I'm so excited to see that building restored, I have hoped for years something like this would happen to the Broderick.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post

How much of the interior is actually done? Will this be a tour of what they have done so far or just the history of the tower?

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    How much of the interior is actually done? Will this be a tour of what they have done so far or just the history of the tower?
    From their Facebook page...
    "Please join us at the Broderick Tower Preview to see floor plans and tour the impressive construction operation. We'll have hot beverages and you will have the opportunity to ride to the top to witness the spectacular views of Detroit and to tour several partially constructed floors. See what the Broderick Tower has to offer before anyone else."

I plan on attending the event. I'm not sure how constructed these "partially constructed" floors will be seeing as they are still putting windows in the building if my memory serves me right. Can't wait to see what is going on.

I took a drive around town today...added new photos to this album...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=355d5332ee

There are also several more photos of buildings and neighborhoods in other albums.

www.woodwardspine.com
    www.facebook.com/woodwardspine

Instead of buying a home, we are thinking about spending a few more years renting. If I can't get a two bedroom at my current residence, we might be putting a deposit on one of the two bedrooms at BT.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast