Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

"There will be a French wine cafe, an American grill and a German beer garden"

Sooo. No shopping store [[retail)? Clothing, accesories, etc..? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    "There will be a French wine cafe, an American grill and a German beer garden"

Sooo. No shopping store [[retail)? Clothing, accesories, etc..? Maybe?
    All I need is the German beer garden. :P

Maybe it's that I'm not too familiar with Broderick Tower, but when I watched the FOX video, at 0:30 into the report, the picture shown looks like the old Book-Cadillac ballroom in ruins before the renovation of that buidling, and not the Broderick. Am I wrong?

I think you're right about that mallory; good eye!

Mallory, yes, the picture you are referencing was one of the old Book Cadillac ballroms. I think there may have also been a photo or two of the interiors of other buildings also.

There is not a lot of space in the ground level of the Broderick. I'm fairly sure they plan to make the restaurants multi-level, basement/ground/2nd. They are planning for mezzanine-type areas over the main dining areas and also lower level in the basement. This has to do with the fact that the building does not have a large footprint so mult-level eateries will allow them to compensate. It will make for some intriguing designs, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    There is not a lot of space in the ground level of the Broderick. I'm fairly sure they plan to make the restaurants multi-level, basement/ground/2nd. They are planning for mezzanine-type areas over the main dining areas and also lower level in the basement. This has to do with the fact that the building does not have a large footprint so mult-level eateries will allow them to compensate. It will make for some intriguing designs, very cool.
    One of the most creative multi-level restaurant designs has to be the New Parthenon... a very unique dining experience. Glad they're going this route, thanks for the info!

Gistok, I went to the early November open house. They toured us through the upper floors [[residential) as well as having information available in the area of the ground floor that once housed the Flaming Embers. The guides showed us areas where a mezzanine floor over the main restaurant was being framed, and they showed us the stairway going to the first basement level where the cave level of the restaurant is planned.

Interesting, they are finding original stencil work on the old original ceiling that is being 'daylighted'. They hope to restore the original ceiling now where possible. They are also finding nice old floor tiles that they are also hoping to retain and use to actually enhance the flooring.

It was a fascinating tour. But regarding the ground level - the spaces are fairly small and the buildling lobby is also smallish. I guess the Broderick was built to be a tall narrow building because of the limited availability of land for it to be built on.

Thanks for the info Kryptonite! I think that the best part of the "removal" of the Flaming Embers era was the removal of the "Lee Press-On" bricks!

When you viewed the upper floors... will those tiny triangular corner balconies [[on 2 floors?) be open for outdoor use? If so, that would make them the highest residential balconies [[that I'm aware of) in downtown.

I'm pretty certain that the four balconies are to be opened up for use by the tenants. When I was there I think the old window frames were still in place, but doorways would need to be cut into the walls to allow outside access from what I remember.

I'm maybe not the best source for that info. I'm terrified of heights and stayed a good distance from those corner windows. You wouldn't get me out on one of those outside patios for anything.

Most of the graphics that I have seen show the balconies in use by tenants. they would be much braver than me though!

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I'm pretty certain that the four balconies are to be opened up for use by the tenants. When I was there I think the old window frames were still in place, but doorways would need to be cut into the walls to allow outside access from what I remember.

I'm maybe not the best source for that info. I'm terrified of heights and stayed a good distance from those corner windows. You wouldn't get me out on one of those outside patios for anything.

Most of the graphics that I have seen show the balconies in use by tenants. they would be much braver than me though!
    I'm with you on that one... vertigo...

Our long time poster and now professional photographer SOUTHEN, took this shot long ago from way up in the Broderick Tower... and ever since seeing this image, I've had the same feelings about those open balconies [[I think there's one seen between his feet)....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southen/229735246/

While searching for something else I just so happened to stumble upon this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hPwIzsPfE

Anyone seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    While searching for something else I just so happened to stumble upon this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hPwIzsPfE

Anyone seen it?

I would guess that may be fake as there is no production or credits as to who made it. Cool seeing the Broderick though. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm with you on that one... vertigo...

Our long time poster and now professional photographer SOUTHEN, took this shot long ago from way up in the Broderick Tower... and ever since seeing this image, I've had the same feelings about those open balconies [[I think there's one seen between his feet)....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southen/229735246/
    That pic is great. Thanks for sharing it. Yes, that is one of the balconies.

Here is the Broderick web site. http://brodericktower.com/ If you click on the 33rd floor and pull up the floor plans, then double click on one of the 33rd floor units, you will see the floor plans include a terrace where the outside areas are now, and double doors opening onto the terraces.

And this is cool, the Broderick is on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Broder...85268824854527

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Still a shame that the crown on top of the building will not be reconstructed...
    I agree. I like the results so far, but let's not do a incomplete job. I'd like to see the crown at the top. Maybe that will happen down the line.

The Broderick bathed with orange from the setting winter sun.

I drove by yesterday and the large windows on the bottom two floors are getting glass! I assume these will be retail areas. The metal framing around the glass still looks like rusty crap, however.

Yeah I've notice that too, it does still look rusty. But great news however...Can't wait to move in September, I reserved my apartment!! YAYYY!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I drove by yesterday and the large windows on the bottom two floors are getting glass! I assume these will be retail areas. The metal framing around the glass still looks like rusty crap, however.

Broderick - lights!

Name:  Detroit2.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  24.6 KB

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The Broderick bathed with orange from the setting winter sun.
    What winter? Probably for another thread, but it ain't the lack of snow but the abundance of clear days that has made this winter feel really mild for me.

Seeing lights on in this building after so many years has been awesome. Can't wait for baseball season. For those not able to see or get to games downtown, the games on FSD or highlights on SportsCenter should be pretty...illuminating.

^ Winter decided to take a hiatus in the American Midwest so far this year.... but Europe is getting clobbered. Rome has lots of snow so far this year. it's almost as though the Gulf Stream that keeps Europe warmer than the northern USA has turned off its' tap [[although the weather system anomalies this winter have more to do with the golf stream air currents).

It's hard to imagine that Detroit is really closer to the Equator than is the French Riviera... which is farther north than Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Seeing lights on in this building after so many years has been awesome. Can't wait for baseball season. For those not able to see or get to games downtown, the games on FSD or highlights on SportsCenter should be pretty...illuminating.
    This rendering of the Aloft Hotel @ The David Whitney should be cool too, even though I dont see any sign. http://lodgingdevelopment.com/Conten...96637cfad5.gif

Whoa that is really outdated! The Hudson's building is in the background!!

Default Behold the Broderick...

.. Fully Lit!

A great moment in the Detroit story.

What a delight it was to behold this spectacle tonight after decades of blight and darkness.

Even Mayor Pingree sits up to take notice. The dead are rising.

What a change it makes to the approach to the Woodward canyon. Image the impact when the Whitney, minus the iPad banner, also lights up across the street.

Someone on the other thread mentioned that it's too bad they didn't add a fancy top to the Broderick Tower.

With some Photoshop help, I'm sort of partial to 12th Century Gothic...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Duplicate removed.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast