Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lack of Indian Restaurants in Detroit

I went to a suburban Indian restaurant the other night, and absolutely loved the food. Indian has long been one of my favorite cuisines, and I am lamenting the fact that there are no Indian restaurants [[that I know of) in Detroit proper, save Hamtramck, and very few in the suburbs.

That said, I was wondering if any of you have insights into why Indian cuisine never became popular or trendy in MI. In the 90s, there was a latin craze, and Mexican food in particular became a staple in American restaurants. Subsequently, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, sushi etc. became popular and was even trendy at one time. Even though India contains more than one sixth of the total population, and their food is relatively healthy and inexpensive [[in the U.S.), their food never really became popular here, especially not in Detroit. Thoughts?

You're saying that Chinese food became popular or trendy after "Latin" food did in the 90's?? Interesting.

My personal opinion is that Indian food is gross. I've tried to find a way like it by dining at Indian restaurants at least a dozen times. There are WAY too many spices and half of the dishes look like slop. I just don't get it. That's just my opinion about it, but other people have said similar things to me. I believe that's it is SO different from American tastes that it is still going take a number of years to more fully integrate into the average Joe's culinary spectrum of dining options.

I am salivating in anticipation of the mention of some good restaurants or groceries in this thread.

I don't like Indian food, but there are a few places in Ann Arbor as well as some other suburbs. I wonder if the late increase in IT-related jobs would bring more Indian food into.

I like Indian food both American Indian and Indian from another national,
    I think a lot of different nationalities Americanized their menus to appease the American palate,Chinese food was a flop until they changed the style but to eat real Chinese food in the traditional way is a treat.

Latin food varies according to the country a PR empanada is different then a Colombian and different then a Mexican different then a Filipino all different flavors and textures.

I would not be sure if they could main stream Indian food without killing its experience and flavor.But everybody's tastes are different,I cannot stand onions but others eat them raw. Once you start trying other foods American food becomes a bit bland.

I have often walked the dog thru Hamtramck, and have been tempted to walk up to several houses and knock on the door with a plate in my hand.

I don't know much about trendiness, but I can name more edible Indian Restaurants around here than I can Chinese.

And I agree with Richard. You want bland, stick to good old 'Merican cookin.' You want flavor, try something else.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; January-21-13 at 10:50 PM.

I do like Indian food. Lately, I've been going to Zam Zam on Conant in Hamtramck.

there is at least one decent Indian restaurant in Hamtramck, but I can never remember which one it is. I LOVE samosas, chana dal, kofta currie.

What Detroit has is Thai in abundance, and it is so much better than Thai I've had in NY, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Philly and a few other cities. You have to ask for "hot" in all of those places to even get a hint of a burn.

I was at an Indian restaurant in Rotorua, ordered the chana dal hot, they brought it out slightly warm. At the end of the meal, the waiter brought out a brass pot with the chili paste in it. I took a spoonful, added it to my around-the-same-size last bite and ate it. Looked up at the waiter and said now THAT is hot. He left with a "what the hell" look on his face, we paid the bill and walked out before I allowed myself to gasp in pain

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    I do like Indian food. Lately, I've been going to Zam Zam on Conant in Hamtramck.
    Ah! I think that is the one! that is Bangladeshi too, right?

The "american" palate is a strange thing to comprehend. Fortunately I get fabulous Indian cuisine at home[[my wife spent time in India), along with great food in general. I hate going to a many restaurants because my wife is a far better cook than any of the top notch chefs around town. We try to go to places that serve cuisine my wife does not usually cook when we go out.

Armin, I meant sushi, Japanese and pan-Asian cuisine became trendy, not Chinese specifically.

There used to be an Indian restaurant on Hancock, between Woodward and Cass, behind the current ARC office and retail shop, the latter which used to be an Indian market. There was also Sizzle & Spice, which was an Indian restaurant downtown on Monroe across from Compuware garage.

There is still Little Asia mart on 3rd [[Anthony Wayne Dr) on Wayne State's campus... great place for spices, rice and beans, pre-packaged food, samosas, and even some fresh produce. I haven't been over in that area for a bit, is the Indian Restaurant on the same block still there? There is also International Mini-Cafe, which has some Indian dishes, and totally overlooked because of its fairly hidden location, and only being open for weekday lunch.

I usually go to Aladdin's in Hamtramck, super cheap and yummy, and there are several other restaurants and markets in that vicinity. The Bangladeshi neighborhood straddles Hamtramck and Detroit proper. Aladdin's is in Hamtramck proper but walk across the street and you are back in the city of Detroit.

My guess is that the greater Midtown/Downtown area is ripe for a full service Indian restaurant, in addition to many other varieties of cuisine.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    There used to be an Indian restaurant on Hancock, between Woodward and Cass, behind the current ARC office and retail shop, the latter which used to be an Indian market. There was also Sizzle & Spice, which was an Indian restaurant downtown on Monroe across from Compuware garage.

There is still Little Asia mart on 3rd [[Anthony Wayne Dr) on Wayne State's campus... great place for spices, rice and beans, pre-packaged food, samosas, and even some fresh produce. I haven't been over in that area for a bit, is the Indian Restaurant on the same block still there? There is also International Mini-Cafe, which has some Indian dishes, and totally overlooked because of its fairly hidden location, and only being open for weekday lunch.

I usually go to Aladdin's in Hamtramck, super cheap and yummy, and there are several other restaurants and markets in that vicinity. The Bangladeshi neighborhood straddles Hamtramck and Detroit proper. Aladdin's is in Hamtramck proper but walk across the street and you are back in the city of Detroit.

My guess is that the greater Midtown/Downtown area is ripe for a full service Indian restaurant, in addition to many other varieties of cuisine.
    The restaurant you are talking about was American Masala. It was located behind the police station on Woodward and Hancock. The food was ok but I never went back.

I adore Indian/ Hindu cuisine and always seeking new places. I make my own basmati rice and curry incarnations but not as well. In a way it's an acquired taste and I don't like the northern India, more milk-based items but a good masala, currie or butter chicken. Yummy. I love dal and some chutneys. Tandori chicken is great! Food that's not deep fried and commercial is always a draw for me these days.

The place up on Anthony Wayne Drive [[WSU) is ok, but bland sorta homogenized. My favorite it Rangoli but they're in Auburn Hills. There is a large population of Indians in Sterling Heights so there are several restuarants in that area. My latest discovery is Haveli in Troy on Rochester.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-13 at 10:39 AM.

I'm a fan of Indian food and I've never thought there was a lack of options in the metro area. As a matter of fact, there are probably too many Indian options as far as I'm concerned.

If any of you are in Farmington or environs during the day, stop off at Namaste Flavours on Grand River. They have a wonderful buffet during the week, with some fantastic dishes. Not much for decor, but the food rocks. Self serve though, with styrofoam plates.

Just a down and dirty Google search for "Indian Restaurants Oakland County" finds 16 and that's just the ones they have menus for.
    http://www.allmenus.com/mi/oakland-county/-/indian/

Another 5 in each Macomb and Wayne counties
    Last edited by jcole; January-22-13 at 09:14 AM.

We like this one:
    Passage to India [[not sure if this is still the name, but it is still an Indian restaurant)
    3354 12 Mile Rd

Berkley, MI 48072

They have an excellent menu, my favorite "different" thing is the carrot halwa dessert. I love when dessert is a vegetable.

I assume Indian restaurants will generally locate where there are Indians, and where there are people who are open to new cuisines.

The Indian community is mostly in Troy, Novi, Farmington Hills, and Canton, so I assume that's where the restaurants are concentrated.

I find that Indian food isn't particularly good in Metro Detroit, but I would second Namaste Flavors. That place is excellent, but everywhere else I've been to has been meh.

Yep. Then you can always check yelp.com reviews to get an idea how they fare...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Just a down and dirty Google search for "Indian Restaurants Oakland County" finds 16 and that's just the ones they have menus for.
    http://www.allmenus.com/mi/oakland-county/-/indian/

Another 5 in each Macomb and Wayne counties

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I assume Indian restaurants will generally locate where there are Indians, and where there are people who are open to new cuisines.

The Indian community is mostly in Troy, Novi, Farmington Hills, and Canton, so I assume that's where the restaurants are concentrated.
    That is certainly true. Many of the better metro Detroit Indian restaurants are in the northern and northwest suburbs, where the ethnic communities are.

As for Hamtramck, that community is Bangladeshi, not Indian, but it's a small matter. East Sixth Street in Manhattan is the "Indian" strip, but they're all Bangladeshi too. Bangladeshi people do a great job at making classic Indian food. Zam Zam basically is attached to a Bangladeshi-style eatery. The back of the building, if you look in, is a cafeteria-style joint where Bangladeshi men [[only men) hang out and eat. The cloth doily Zam Zam is for the unhyphenated Americans.

Last I checked, there was also a tiny Bangladeshi place next to Bangla Town Market between Moran and Conant north of Carpenter, just behind the masjid. Cash only. My favorite is the aloo paratha, or bread stuffed with mashed potato and spices.

I love all that style of food. Paratha sounds devine. Must try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    )My favorite is the aloo paratha, or bread stuffed with mashed potato and spices.

isn't there something on Cass Ave. south of Warren, Wayne State area?

I've been to India twice, going back again in April. First off, Bangladeshi and northern Indian food are the same thing. Bangladesh has only been a separate country for a few decades and the people in Bangladesh and West Bengal [[India) even speak the same language. There's more in common there than between northern and southern India.

There are several good Indian places in Ann Arbor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast