Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Police should clear a non-moving person blocking a doorway to an event. The reporter's twice entering of the secure area when he was just alerted that the area was off limits provides insight into the likelihood that he followed previous direct police orders.

When the police ask a person to clear an area they would otherwise be able to occupy, the best thing to do is follow the directions. You can complain to the chain of command later.
    majohnson -- Yours is a reasonable, rational explanation. Obviously there is still a lot unknown, and I'm looking forward to hearing the results of Chief Craig's investigation and possibly seeing the film footage leading up to what was released.

The problem here isn't just the scuffle between Elrick and DPD. The other problem is Cushingberry's response to it. He could have easily just said what you wrote.

Instead....

-- "european victims don't like to answer to black authority"
    -- "if he were in a synagogue he wouldn't have acted so rudely"
    -- "just another instance of driving while black"

My objection with Cushingberry is that while most of us realize that we need to move away from race-baiting and hostility, he seems to enjoy bringing us back to it.

It's unproductive for both race relations and policy making. It needs to end now.

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Police should clear a non-moving person blocking a doorway to an event. The reporter's twice entering of the secure area when he was just alerted that the area was off limits provides insight into the likelihood that he followed previous direct police orders.

When the police ask a person to clear an area they would otherwise be able to occupy, the best thing to do is follow the directions. You can complain to the chain of command later.
    Yes, but.

We don't know yet much about what led up to the incident. But let's assume he was asked to move. If it was a reasonable request, then he should have complied. We don't know if he was asked at this point -- and frankly we'll probably never really know this.

But let's assume he was, and let's assume he did not comply. He still should not have been manhandled. If you don't comply with a reasonable request set forth by an officer of the law, they can arrest you for your behavior. They did not arrest Mr. Elrich. They just bullied him physically.

I must assume DPD has rules for what and where reporters can be. How they can approach city council members. And if they don't comply, there must be rules on what happens to them. I do not think the rules include grabbing someone and shoving them aside -- and then not following up on their action. The sergeant could have easily told the reporter that his behavior was out of line, and ask him to wait for the sergeant to get his lieutenant to discuss this. No. He did not stand his ground and justify his actions as we would expect an officer -- he instead just walked away and hid in a 'secured area'. Ha.

btw, Elrich did not enter the secured area. He was only talking. It was pushing the limits a little bit, I'll grant you. But why do you ask for perfect behavior by Elrich, but allow the officer to walk away without allowing the citizen to properly follow-up on a reasonable complaint? You may not like Elrich, but regardless of what happened, he was due better behavior by DPD here.

Boy, that's really outer space. Wonder how long before he starts denying the Holocaust. Was that directed at ML [[who is obviously not Jewish)?

I can't wait till Cushingberry eventually, inevitably, ends up in prison.

His latest facebook update says "Free Sgt. Michell from Elrick the prick"

What a fine example of a human being and role model for Detroit's young people.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Boy, that's really outer space. Wonder how long before he starts denying the Holocaust. Was that directed at ML [[who is obviously not Jewish)?

I can't wait till Cushingberry eventually, inevitably, ends up in prison.

His latest facebook update says "Free Sgt. Michell from Elrick the prick"

What a fine example of a human being and role model for Detroit's young people.
    Just... wow...

Cushingberry has ZERO tact and does not like to be questioned or challenged whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Just... wow...

Cushingberry has ZERO tact and does not like to be questioned or challenged whatsoever.
    Eventually the Kush will have to address the media and/or the public, right? Will he never have to answer questions from those who are wondering about is antics?

And by "those" I mean just about everybody.....

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Eventually the Kush will have to address the media and/or the public, right? Will he never have to answer questions from those who are wondering about is antics?
    No. From the looks of it he can just keep playing the race card and hurling shitbombs of malicious nonsense over social media. And probably get reelected. Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    No. From the looks of it he can just keep playing the race card and hurling shitbombs of malicious nonsense over social media. And probably get reelected. Easy peasy.
    Agreed. Those who have been stoking the fears of residents about the 'loss of democracy', 'state takeover', and 'Lansing is withholding funds' have emboldened populist candidates like Cushingberry who 'speak truth to power'.

Like the Rev.Lonnie Peak, who admonished the DNR at this week's Belle Isle Advisory Committtee that it needs to take sensitivity measures because There is a unique [[racial) "Belle Isle culture" that needs to be accepted if all are to remain happy .
    Thus Peak acknowledges that Belle Isle is not commonly used as most parks are. No one asked him to describe the special culture, but I can guess that it is a low culture - as it certainly would not be more cultivated than what is expected at other State parks, would it?
    By the way, George Cushingberry is an ordained Baptist minister, as well.

There is such animosity toward the change that is happening. Detroiters don't need to be left behind unless they choose to be and continue choosing leadership like Cushingberry, Scott [[who defended him again).

I have no idea what really happened, but I can't imagine there aren't security cameras there that would have it start to finish. Regardless, Elrick had valid questioning to do, and Cushingberry was ducking him [[and everyone else). They shouldn't be allowed to use council chambers to shield them from the press.

"One of the witnesses who was determined to be independent was a City Council employee, although not with Cushingberry’s office."

sorry, I don't buy that as "independent"

I'm glad this was taken to the level of an inquiry. And while I doubt Sgt. Mitchell's actions were justified, this wasn't a capital case. Just a scuffle.

Let's suppose Elrich was breaking the written rules. Using 'force' just doesn't seem necessary. The sanest course of action would have been to clearly verbally remind him that his actions are prohibited and that Elrich is subject to having his press credentials for the council and his ability to attend in the future revoked.

I'm inclined to believe the Chief because WJBK has still to air the events leading up to the shoving, the only start at the very moment with zero context as to why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'm inclined to believe the Chief because WJBK has still to air the events leading up to the shoving, the only start at the very moment with zero context as to why it happened.
    Camera crews don't usually keep the cameras rolling - battery issue more than tape now. They wouldn't be running until the target of the interview showed up. As I mentioned, I am sure there is security video from the scene. Why hasn't the COP released that?

At the end of the day, as posted earlier today, the big question that I haven't heard addressed by anyone is 'why did a DPD officer have to resort to force?'

What was the triggering event? A known reporter with cameraman who was purusing a public figure. OK, maybe he was breaking the law. Maybe he was breaking rules. But I don't see nor hear any allegations that the councilman was at risk of anything but a press event.

The sarge could have arrested Elrich, he could have followed up appropriately with his chain of command. He didn't. He shovel Elrich to protect Cushingberry from the press.

Do we want our police department to use force for this?

Elrich may have been a dick. An aggressive reporter. Which by the way we seem to need, given our history of clandestine city leadership. But was he a threat to anything but council and Cushingberry's ego?

Wrong way to handle the press.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2