Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As far as I'm concerned he could wear pink bunny ears and Hello Kitty underwear, as long as he can get the department running better.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    As far as I'm concerned he could wear pink bunny ears and Hello Kitty underwear, as long as he can get the department running better.
    Amen!!!!!!

As jcole points out, there are many online images, but almost all of them showing him in uniform below the neck level are from Cincinnati. Their uniform bears a very close resemblance to the Detroit uniform. Finally, I found a video and was able to spot the wings on his Detroit uniform. In Cincinnati, he wore it above the name badge, but in Detroit he has it nestled underneath the name badge where it's not quite as obvious.

Anyway, since nobody here seemed to know what the wings mean, I called the DPD Public Information Office. The officer I talked to did not know what, if any significance the wings mean, but promised to get back to me. I'll fill y'all in when I hear.

⬆️⬆️⬆️ When I saw Craig, the wings were positioned on his right chest above any name tag.

OK, got a response. According to the officer I talked to, it is not for aviation service, but for being a member of the LAPD Motor Unit [[motorcycles). Doing a little searching online, I did find many examples of using a winged wheel to signify participation in a motor unit.

The officer said that it is not uncommon for officers to wear emblems that represent special training even if it occurred in a different department.

Since our own Detroit Red Wings logo is that of a winged wheel, maybe he's also showing his support for our hockey team.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Since our own Detroit Red Wings logo is that of a winged wheel, maybe he's also showing his support for our hockey team.
    Maybe he's showing support for BWW.....

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    ⬆️⬆️⬆️ When I saw Craig, the wings were positioned on his right chest above any name tag.
    Apparently he wears it both ways.

Name:  23088175_BG1.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  21.0 KB
    Name:  23962892_SA.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  23.7 KB

Here's one from Cincinnati.

Name:  wcpo051413jamescraig255_20130514154119_400_300.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  11.3 KB

And finally, a picture of an officer in the LAPD Motor Unit showing the insignia.

Name:  lapd.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  35.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    OK, got a response. According to the officer I talked to, it is not for aviation service, but for being a member of the LAPD Motor Unit [[motorcycles). Doing a little searching online, I did find many examples of using a winged wheel to signify participation in a motor unit.

The officer said that it is not uncommon for officers to wear emblems that represent special training even if it occurred in a different department.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2