Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Michigan is growing faster than Illinois in the current day

You keep on saying this, Bham1982, but from 2010 to 2013 Illinois grew over 4 times faster. You even provided a link for your claim about a month ago. But unfortunately for you I checked your link.

It started off with you saying Illinois has lower proportional growth then Michigan yet Illinois is not anywhere near over 4 times the size of Michigan but Illinois has over 4 times the population growth in numbers to now were you say Illinois is slower in numbers to, over and over.

Here is your post:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...506#post416506

and in that post you provided a link to support your claim to the census which actually refutes your claims

http://www.census.gov/popest/data/st...013/index.html
    Last edited by runnerXT; January-23-14 at 11:22 PM.

I'm part of the brain drain. I moved from Metro Detroit to Madison County which is located just east of St Louis, MO on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. My wife had been laid off several times supporting GM and I was laid off from GM. I moved here for a steady job and a more diverse economy. Since Metro-Detroit is so reliant on the auto-industry, we felt that we would have a better chance maintaining employment in a region where the economy is more diverse. We weren't sure how long it would take the region to rebound.

Everytime we come back, we are more convinced it was the right move. It's about ten degrees warmer here, less snow and more sun. The people here are more compasionate and resoectful. Crime is low and the schools are great. In 30 minutes, I can be in St Louis for all their great cultural attracations

When I came back to St Clair Shores for Christmas, I noticed a few things. The people looked worn out and depressed. The middle class neighborhoods that were vibrant when I was growing up are declining. The winter weather was really taking a toll on the freeways especially I-696 from I-75 to I-94. All the street lights on Jefferson were out. The constant negative comments in the Freep anytime anyone tries to get anything done.

Metro-Detroit is still an economic power house compared to St Louis and there is a ton of opportunity there. But it is still a one industry town and about six exectutives hold the future of the region in their hands. That's a lot of power in the hands of a few people. You have all your eggs in one basket. I tell everyone I can to visit Michigan because it is a beautiful state.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    I'm part of the brain drain. I moved from Metro Detroit to Madison County which is located just east of St Louis, MO on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. My wife had been laid off several times supporting GM and I was laid off from GM. I moved here for a steady job and a more diverse economy. Since Metro-Detroit is so reliant on the auto-industry, we felt that we would have a better chance maintaining employment in a region where the economy is more diverse. We weren't sure how long it would take the region to rebound.

Everytime we come back, we are more convinced it was the right move. It's about ten degrees warmer here, less snow and more sun. The people here are more compasionate and resoectful. Crime is low and the schools are great. In 30 minutes, I can be in St Louis for all their great cultural attracations

When I came back to St Clair Shores for Christmas, I noticed a few things. The people looked worn out and depressed. The middle class neighborhoods that were vibrant when I was growing up are declining. The winter weather was really taking a toll on the freeways especially I-696 from I-75 to I-94. All the street lights on Jefferson were out. The constant negative comments in the Freep anytime anyone tries to get anything done.

Metro-Detroit is still an economic power house compared to St Louis and there is a ton of opportunity there. But it is still a one industry town and about six exectutives hold the future of the region in their hands. That's a lot of power in the hands of a few people. You have all your eggs in one basket. I tell everyone I can to visit Michigan because it is a beautiful state.
    Pay NO attention to him, folks, he's just making all that up.

I know a guy who...so it must be true!

To digress, I tend to relocate when I have a better opportunity elsewhere. In the past that's been California, Wisconsin, and Ohio. I'm back in Michigan because this is the best opportunity so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3