Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Patterson has done a lot of good in Oakland County, but he really messed up with Pontiac. To locate all of those county buildings just outside of the borders of your county capital was stupid. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Now Oakland County has a mini-Detroit in the middle of all its glorified affluence, and the blight is spreading.

Not that Patterson was alone in his desire to kill of Pontiac. It amazes me how little Oakland University cares about Pontiac. Can't they see the value in having a good-sized urban community in their backyard? Royal Oak and Birmingham are OK, but don't really have large enough urban district to feel like a city as opposed to a suburb. And all this money is spent in improving Rochester when they had a better city down the road. I'd say I don't understand, but I do - Pontiac has black people, and we know how people like Patterson feel about that.
    I think you might be giving LBP too much credit. You are giving him accountability for the fall of Pontiac?
    Sounds much like LBP blaming CAY for the decline in Detroit. True, both are over the top men with similar personalities that makes people either love or hate them. But the fall of Detroit was much more linked to the implosion of the auto industry and the movement of people and jobs to the suburbs. I would argue similarly that GM pulling out of Pontiac had way more influence in the city's decline than LBP ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Patterson has done a lot of good in Oakland County, but he really messed up with Pontiac. To locate all of those county buildings just outside of the borders of your county capital was stupid. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Now Oakland County has a mini-Detroit in the middle of all its glorified affluence, and the blight is spreading.

At least Macomb County officials had the intelligence to locate all of the major county buildings in downtown Mt. Clemens. As a result, Mt. Clemens is still at least passable as a city, which is more than I can say for most of Pontiac.

Not that Patterson was alone in his desire to kill of Pontiac. It amazes me how little Oakland University cares about Pontiac. Can't they see the value in having a good-sized urban community in their backyard? Royal Oak and Birmingham are OK, but don't really have large enough urban district to feel like a city as opposed to a suburb. And all this money is spent in improving Rochester when they had a better city down the road. I'd say I don't understand, but I do - Pontiac has black people, and we know how people like Patterson feel about that.
    The Oakland County Courthouse and most of the other structures were moved from Pontiac to their current location in the 1960's. L. Brooks Patterson was still in his 20's and in college [[In Detroit) at the time. I understand that some of you don't like the guy, but blaming him for something that happened 50 years ago makes no sense at all.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-22-14 at 04:11 PM.

This was my favorite part:

A promotional infographic currently used to recruit multinational companies situates Oakland County relative only to Chicago, Cleveland, Toronto and New York.

In 49 states, people know where FOUR of these places are. It really hurts the Southeastern Michigan region to use the same marketing strategy as a rural hamlet.

Brooks is no mastermind--he got lucky. You go into any major city in America, round-up the white collar workers, and herd them into their own county while keeping The Poors out, and you're going to appear "successful".

I hope that LBP and others recognize that the way they sprawled the ever living hell out of Oakland County means it may not always be sustainable. If you go to some of the less-well-off areas, you will see tons of abandoned storefronts and just a general dumpiness. Its much easier to live in Hazel Park/Ferndale/etc close to all the freeways than it is to live out in Commerce. I had the delightful adventure of spending a big chunk of yesterday out there and man, I am so glad I chose to live in Detroit... Everything I could ever need is a quick buzz away, where as out there... can be miles from the nearest thing that isn't mediocre.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...s#.UuBY39Io7Gh

"Why, when Patterson had the chance to expound at length about the region to the elite audience of one of the nation’s most prestigious magazines, did he choose to come across like a mean-spirited boor? What does that say to the New Yorker’s readers about Patterson, and what does it say about Oakland County?"

Classless and classless, that's what.

An interesting observation is that there's no mention of L. Brooks PAtterson even being born and raised in Detroit on his Wikipedia page [[besides his high school and college credentials).

Just considering that, there's absolutely no reason for me to doubt any of the quotes in that article.

It's amazing that one's hatred can be that pure and deep seeded.

That Great Guy Guest

The expanded I-75 freeway will be named the Brooks Patterson Memorial Freeway.

Why are we not going after Brooks for supporting this while Detroit is broke? It does not seem very fare for Oakland County to get all that money when they can just dig just a little deeper in their pockets, if they want bigger roads.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    The expanded I-75 freeway will be named the Brooks Patterson Memorial Freeway.

Why are we not going after Brooks for supporting this while Detroit is broke? It does not seem very fare for Oakland County to get all that money when they can just dig just a little deeper in their pockets, if they want bigger roads.

Because a widened I-75 costs his county nothing, and will jump-start the Oakland County Sprawl Machine that Brooks loves so much.

[QUOTE=ghettopalmetto;419194]This was my favorite part:

In 49 states, people know where FOUR of these places are. It really hurts the Southeastern Michigan region to use the same marketing strategy as a rural hamlet.

Brooks is no mastermind--he got lucky. You go into any major city in America, round-up the white collar workers, and herd them into their own county while keeping The Poors out, and you're going to appear "successful".

[/QUOTE
    In that sense, doesnt this O.C.bear an odd resemblance to another one in southern California; Orange County, maybe?

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Because a widened I-75 costs his county nothing, and will jump-start the Oakland County Sprawl Machine that Brooks loves so much.
    That is exactly my point. The City of Detroit is part of Oakland County as the same city. So, if Detroit pays for that big freeway then they too should benefit or it should not be built until they do or if taxes and tolls and user fees are raised first.

I don't think big mansions and new malls in Oxford and Lake Orion will fix anything. So, Brooks should pay for the freeway from County taxes or increased State taxes to repair roads and support community transit, in my opinion. He is not doing that, just like the leaders in Livonia who don't care about Detroit.

One Livonia City Council member even stated that Redford is an important barrier to protect his city. Oakland County and Brooks have failed because they have not taken care of 8 Mile Road. And that is a fact.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; January-23-14 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    An interesting observation is that there's no mention of L. Brooks PAtterson even being born and raised in Detroit on his Wikipedia page [[besides his high school and college credentials). ...
    Wikipedia content is by its readers. If you know this to be true and relevant, then please do add it to the page. I do think its relevant, since Brooks often has taken an antagonistic attitude towards Detroit. [[I'd edit the page, but I don't know it to be true.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Wikipedia content is by its readers. If you know this to be true and relevant, then please do add it to the page. I do think its relevant, since Brooks often has taken an antagonistic attitude towards Detroit. [[I'd edit the page, but I don't know it to be true.)
    I'm pretty sure it's true. A lot of local politicians were born and raised in Detroit. But, that's still not a excuse to be a _ _swipe.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-23-14 at 07:05 PM.

This forum needs a 'like' button so I could hit it now.

https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...n?id=207337086

Charity auction for THAW. Bid on lunch with Brooks and tell him how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...n?id=207337086

Charity auction for THAW. Bid on lunch with Brooks and tell him how you feel.
    Whose charity, his or ours?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Whose charity, his or ours?
    It goes for THAW-the Heat and Warmth Fund.

I'm pretty sure it's true. A lot of local politicians were born and raised in Detroit. But, that's still not a excuse to be a _ _swipe.
    Brooks was Detroit-born.

No need to name-call. Spend that energy fixing something, or writing a real comment.

Regardless of what you think of him, his county is considered well-managed. And sure its easier when you're growing, but that hasn't been true for OC in a few years now. And his county remains well-run.

I said it before, but I know some who voluntarily switched from OC defined-benefit plan into defined-contribution. And they have done BETTER than the fixed pension. They are happy.

Brooks was Detroit-born.

No need to name-call. Spend that energy fixing something, or writing a real comment.

Regardless of what you think of him, his county is considered well-managed. And sure its easier when you're growing, but that hasn't been true for OC in a few years now. And his county remains well-run.

I said it before, but I know some who voluntarily switched from OC defined-benefit plan into defined-contribution. And they have done BETTER than the fixed pension. They are happy.
    What I wrote is REAL. He is what he is, a divisive politician whose only concerns are fanning the flames of drama going on in Southeast Michigan. He's part of the problem, not the solution. Regardless of his sterling track record. You can defend him until you're blue in the face. I'm not.

What I wrote is REAL. He is what he is, a divisive politician whose only concerns are fanning the flames of drama going on in Southeast Michigan. He's part of the problem, not the solution. Regardless of his sterling track record. You can defend him until you're blue in the face. I'm not.
    It seems as though his "only concerns" are managing his county well and getting repeatedly re-elected. And he's succeeding. And his constituents are pleased.

L.B. Patterson on Detroit:

"I Never go south of 8 Mile Rd. unless I carry a gun."

L.B. Patterson on Royal Oak TWP:

"I just wish those porch monkeys just get the the f--- out!"

L.B. Patterson on Pontiac:

"I have no business with those watermelon and chicken eating fools!"

L.B. Patterson on Oak Park:

"D---! That place looks like Black Bottom!"

L.B. Patterson on Southfield:

"Oh my God, Southfield went from beautiful ethnic cultural community into instant black ghetto in 20 years. Now the ghetto extends further northwest to Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield. You can thank the Jews and Chaldeans for that!"

L.B. Patterson on Northland Mall:

"I hate shopping there. A matter of fact I don't take my family there at all. It's a place that you can buy weed, heroine, crack and all sorts of illegal products. You can even buy a gun there, too. I heard that black guy got killed there by mall cops. That's how you handle troublemakers!"

That will be L.B. Patterson's quotations when his new book comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    It seems as though his "only concerns" are managing his county well and getting repeatedly re-elected. And he's succeeding. And his constituents are pleased.
    And his reluctance to work with other leaders to make the Tri-County area a better place for ALL. He just wants to see Detroit fail to make himself look good. He's Orville Hubbard reincarnated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

"Oh my God, Southfield went from beautiful ethnic cultural community into instant black ghetto in 20 years. Now the ghetto extends further northwest to Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield. You can thank the Jews and Chaldeans for that!"

"I hate shopping there. A matter of fact I don't take my family there at all. It's a place that you can buy weed, heroine, crack and all sorts of illegal products. You can even buy a gun there, too. I heard that black guy got killed there by mall cops. That's how you handle troublemakers!"

Detroit's black population was abused by the white power structure. Detroit responded witih hate of whites, as expressed by CAY's bigoted reign.

Many white Detroiters became Oakland Country expressed their feelings of disenfranchisement and forced expatriation via the hateful comments of LBP.

They're both pretty much history now. Blacks have now escaped to the 'burbs en mass. And Whites migrate into the city to retake the core, in the opinion of enough people to elect City Council fools.

What do we gain from dissecting this history and figuring out who was wrong about what. Time for love. And from what I see, love is going to push this problem into the recesses of history as from what I see, love is creating a whole lot of family who didn't stay on their side of 8 Mile Road. Soon African American will not sound much different than Italian American. Time and love heal all wounds.

And his reluctance to work with other leaders to make the Tri-County area a better place for ALL. He just wants to see Detroit fail to make himself look good. He's Orville Hubbard reincarnated.
    His constituents may not care about the tri-county area.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

You "woke up" this morning and imagined this nonsense?

Can't wait for your book.

What do we gain from dissecting this history and figuring out who was wrong about what.
    For one, to keep from repeating the past in the future.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast