Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Maybe LBP needs a blanket and some corn. He suddenly seems awfully cold and alone right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Maybe LBP needs a blanket and some corn. He suddenly seems awfully cold and alone right now.
    You say that as if the vast majority of OC voters wouldn't vote him right back into office if he used each of the "out of context" quotes as campaign ads.

He is preaching to his choir. Not only does he need to die, but so does his entire cohort.

I bet Cushingberry is happy as hell because of this development.

The Heat is off him for sure.

That Great Guy Guest

Brooks Patterson is a big supporter of the City of Detroit. And he has shown this in is public speeches with compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I bet Cushingberry is happy as hell because of this development.

The Heat is off him for sure.
    I have a suspicion good old Cush will find a reason to continuously be in the news and, unfortunately, not for positive reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    Brooks Patterson is a big supporter of the City of Detroit. And he has shown this in is public speeches with compassion.
    This is a joke right?

GUSHI Guest

Oakland county his a masterpiece compared to Detroit/wayne county. LB knows how to run a county--Detroit or wayne county can't run shit.I don't live in Oakland county, but i am not blind-- Look at all the wealth

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Oakland county his a masterpiece compared to Detroit/wayne county. LB knows how to run a county--Detroit or wayne county can't run shit.I don't live in Oakland county, but i am not blind-- Look at all the wealth
    Woo hoo, OC is the the least messed up county in a failing region. They are still part of a failing region.

GUSHI Guest

Due to Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This is a joke right?
    I'm wondering the same thing.

If not, the level of delusion is most certainly impressive.

We need to have each others backs but like the world we don't. Keep the faith Detroit we will survive all the firey darts.........

They can not kill our Spirit.

That's an image........!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    In Finley's defense, it's hard for him to type with one hand and cradle Patterson's nuts in his other hand.

I'm hoping Detroit gets the Pistons back.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    The wealth is there because it moved out of Detroit and I-75 runs through Oakland County. Brooks had nothing to do with it. In fact, I bet Oakland County would be nicer [[smaller and less economcially powerful, but nicer) without him, because Detroit would be nicer.

He is a negative influence on everyone's life that lives in this region. It really pisses me off that people still vote for him. Could any other politician get away with outright racism like that today?

For the love of everything good and holy, at least in this thread, please ignore the trolls. lol

BTW, we can stop sh%tting on the local media, this time. Nolan Finley was the only columnist or mainstream media figure to come to this guy's aid. This is a turning point. For the first time, everyone seems to be in agreement that Patterson's inflammatory rhetoric serves no positive purpose for either the city or his own Oakland County.

The doddering old racist will cling on lik he always does. What's so stupid about this is that he's setting up a power switch in his county when he's gone that he thought he spent his entire career trying to prevent. In the past, these kind of comments would have rallied support around him. Poor thing, he doesn't notice how much the political, cultural, and social landscape has changed around him. He's setting up his local Republicans for such a hellish political push-back and swing, that it'll let in the people who he has been trying to keep outside the walls of the fortress for years. lol

I'm having a hard time being mad, anymore. I'm happy he revealed himself to a national audience what the rest of us knew all along. Without the self-awareness to even realize what's he's doing to his county's political power structure, he's actually facilitating and expediating his exit.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-22-14 at 12:00 AM.

Well stated Dexlin... what's the point of getting upset over what he says... since we already know what to expect??

Oh, do not get me wrong. You must have missed my post on this yesterday. I was heated to say the least. lol The Native American comment was probably one of the most tone-deaf and insensitive things I'd ever heard a politician say out loud, and so proudly to a writer.

But, more than angry, I'm kind of relieved by the reaction that this generated. There is hope for this region, yet.

Patterson has done a lot of good in Oakland County, but he really messed up with Pontiac. To locate all of those county buildings just outside of the borders of your county capital was stupid. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Now Oakland County has a mini-Detroit in the middle of all its glorified affluence, and the blight is spreading.

At least Macomb County officials had the intelligence to locate all of the major county buildings in downtown Mt. Clemens. As a result, Mt. Clemens is still at least passable as a city, which is more than I can say for most of Pontiac.

Not that Patterson was alone in his desire to kill of Pontiac. It amazes me how little Oakland University cares about Pontiac. Can't they see the value in having a good-sized urban community in their backyard? Royal Oak and Birmingham are OK, but don't really have large enough urban district to feel like a city as opposed to a suburb. And all this money is spent in improving Rochester when they had a better city down the road. I'd say I don't understand, but I do - Pontiac has black people, and we know how people like Patterson feel about that.

That Great Guy Guest

Brooks Patterson knows about the

The abolition of state revenue sharing for mass transit in Michigan
    Cut and paste into Google and let him know that he should indeed be much more supportive of Detroit by backing up his talk with actions.

I'm very openly and publicly opposed to the I-75 expansion in it's present form. I think all of Oakland County should opt into the County Transit Authority and leverage both government and industry support for the Cities of Detroit and Pontiac. I'm sure Mr. Patterson is SMART enough to do that.

I'm sure he must know expanding I-75 should include everyone, poor and rich and black and white. So, if y'all don't stand up to protest the tax shifting to expand freeways, then shame on Brooks? No, shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    Brooks Patterson knows about the

The abolition of state revenue sharing for mass transit in Michigan
    Cut and paste into Google and let him know that he should indeed be much more supportive of Detroit by backing up his talk with actions.

I'm very openly and publicly opposed to the I-75 expansion in it's present form. I think all of Oakland County should opt into the County Transit Authority and leverage both government and industry support for the Cities of Detroit and Pontiac. I'm sure Mr. Patterson is SMART enough to do that.

I'm sure he must know expanding I-75 should include everyone, poor and rich and black and white. So, if y'all don't stand up to protest the tax shifting to expand freeways, then shame on Brooks? No, shame on you.
    I agree. I think all the manufacturers should put their wares in donkey carts, and take them up Gratiot Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Not that Patterson was alone in his desire to kill of Pontiac. It amazes me how little Oakland University cares about Pontiac. Can't they see the value in having a good-sized urban community in their backyard? Royal Oak and Birmingham are OK, but don't really have large enough urban district to feel like a city as opposed to a suburb. And all this money is spent in improving Rochester when they had a better city down the road. I'd say I don't understand, but I do - Pontiac has black people, and we know how people like Patterson feel about that.
    Oakland University predates Patterson by quite a bit [[1957). The university was built on donated land and was always oriented towards Rochester. When the university was being built, Rochester renamed 5th Street/Walton Blvd as University Drive.

So has Patterson even bothered to hint at a successor, or does he really thinks this role is his for life [[and beyond)?
    Last edited by Hypestyles; January-22-14 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You say that as if the vast majority of OC voters wouldn't vote him right back into office if he used each of the "out of context" quotes as campaign ads.

He is preaching to his choir. Not only does he need to die, but so does his entire cohort.
    I believe he is vulnerable. Oakland County has been trending blue for quite a while now. At the national level Kerry carried it by a few thousand in 2004, Obama swept in the last two elections. Locally the county commission is trending Democrat and the County Prosecutor, LBP's path to the top, is now a Dem.

All that is needed is a solid candidate.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I agree. I think all the manufacturers should put their wares in donkey carts, and take them up Gratiot Avenue.

Thanks to Kwame and Brooks, this is the future of Detroit. Unless people learn how to vote
    Last edited by That Great Guy; January-22-14 at 11:39 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast