Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

This guy doesn't need a parody. The shit that comes out of his mouth is entertainment enough!

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...n#.Ut6J3hAo6M8

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This guy doesn't need a parody. The shit that comes out of his mouth is entertainment enough!

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...n#.Ut6J3hAo6M8
    With regard to the 'reservation comment', his 1989 quote was far less inflammatory than his restatement of it 2013...

When the New Yorker's Paige Williams interviewed Patterson in late 2013 for the story that was published Monday, he brought up a strange analogy to an Indian reservation when she asked him how Detroit might fix its financial problems.

Patterson said: "I made a prediction a long time ago, and it's come to pass. I said, 'What we're going to do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, an then throw in the blankets and corn.'"

In 1989, when Chafets asked about the quality of life for Detroiters, "Patterson looked at me as I were simpleminded," Chafets wrote.

"It's like the Indians on the reservation," he said. "Those who can will leave Detroit. Those who can't will get blankets and food from the government men in the city."

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    It was one of the factors---population in 1980 1.2 million plus. Coleman was a racist.
    It was pointed out in a free press story "How did Detroit go broke" that Young was the most fiscally responsible mayor since the late 1940's. He always kept the books balanced and Detroit didn't suffer the debt problems that it has now during his reign. People hear, see and believe what they want to, but the statistics don't lie. Was Young divisive? sure he was, he didn't take no _hit from anybody, but you didn't have to look far to see what he had to deal with being the city's first black mayor, as well as other factions and being brought up in a Jim Crow world. Young wasn't perfect, but HE was the best mayor up to where we are now. Archer was a puppet. Young wasn't anymore racist than L Brooks or any other politician in Michigan, past or present including our current governor. L Brooks and others way of thinking, are exactly the reason why southeastern michigan will continue to languish, instead of working together for the total good of the region. Too many personal agendas.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-21-14 at 10:48 AM.

"What we're going to do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, an then throw in the blankets and corn.'" -- L. Brooks Patterson

"You will do well to try to inoculate the Indians, by means of blankets, as well as to try every other method that can serve to extirpate this execrable race." — Jeffery Amherst*

*[Amherst] was a known advocate of the extermination of Native Americans, and approved the distribution of smallpox infested blankets to native towns in New England.

A neighbor of mine had a good idea - don't spend a dime in his county. I won't be. Damn, how will I live without fratty Royal Oak bars, and where will I go to the movies? I used to drive to Royal Oak Township for gas because it was super safe, now I'm just going to get carjacked.

Everybody seems to be pretty pissed about this guy, so so much for his friends and family here trying to downplay it.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Everybody seems to be pretty pissed about this guy, so so much for his friends and family here trying to downplay it.
    What is comical, is multiple people have stated I need help because I believe his death will be another step in healing the region.

How many times back in the day did people say the same about CAY but that was seen as a perfectly acceptable comment.

As far as boycotting spending money in OC. I agree. Granted, anything missing from Detroit can be found in Dearborn or Warren or a number of bordering WC and MC communities.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    What is comical, is multiple people have stated I need help because I believe his death will be another step in healing the region.

How many times back in the day did people say the same about CAY but that was seen as a perfectly acceptable comment.
    Beat me to that... and I agree with you to a degree. I don't know if he needs to die...not that it would be a bad thing for the region, but at the very least he needs to be removed from office. I'm just not so sure what replaces him would be of any improvement.

As far as boycotting spending money in OC. I agree. Granted, anything missing from Detroit can be found in Dearborn or Warren or a number of bordering WC and MC communities
    I see what you did there.... will anyone else?
    Last edited by bailey; January-21-14 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Beat me to that... and I agree with you to a degree. I don't know if he needs to die...not that it would be a bad thing for the region, but at the very least he needs to be removed from office. I'm just not so sure what replaces him would be of any improvement.
    I'd be fine with his retirement as well.

As for a boycott of OC, I'm sure there will never be enough support for it to impact anyone or anything there but I'd be remiss if I didn't make my little attempt. Granted, I spend close to nothing there to start with so the impact will not be noticeable by a single store.

You didn't just say that his death would be a step towards healing this region, you actually stated that you would celebrate the man's death and even hoped that it would be violent. Your comment was totally inappropriate, but I think you are well aware of that since you appear to be downplaying what you originally wrote.

At least he will be dead soon. When his death is announced, I will celebrate one more small step towards healing this region.

Kwame is gone, LBP will soon be gone and hopefully Ficano will be swept out of the office in the next election.

The question above about him wanting to retire to spend time with his family. My gut tells me his family doesn't care to spend that much time with him.

Now, let's hope is death is something exceptionally ironic like him getting killed during a car jacking in Oakland County or killed by crumbling infrastructure in Oakland County.

And to be clear: yes, I truly want him to die. It will help this region heal. Perhaps he and Manny Maroun can drive head on into each other and we can be without both of them [[Perhaps Cushingberry can be involved somehow as well)

I'm just glad to finally have Patterson fully exposed for exactly who and what he is. And to a national audience, beyond the pathological rationalizations of this region, who won't be so kind as our local press has been to his casual hate.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-21-14 at 11:44 AM.

As far as boycotting spending money in OC. I agree. Granted, anything missing from Detroit can be found in Dearborn or Warren or a number of bordering WC and MC communities.
    Funny thing is that Patterson made a similar comment about CAY. He didn't say he needs to die but he suggested that everything would be okay once Coleman was gone:

"We see ourselves as a target. In this situation, you see the evidence of one man's hatred for the honkies. He's the racist. Things will quiet down when Coleman Young leaves."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    You didn't just say that his death would be a step towards healing this region, you actually stated that you would celebrate the man's death and even hoped that it would be violent. Your comment was totally inappropriate, but I think you are well aware of that since you appear to be downplaying what you originally wrote.
    I stand by my original statements however a resignation would be a good first step

I tend to agree with jt1 in context.

I wouldn't celebrate anyone's death nor would I wish death on anyone, but I certainly wouldn't miss LBP or shed a tear if he died. I'm sure there were many suburbanites who felt the same way about Coleman Young [[EDIT: I saw iheartthed's post above after posting my reply).

The region will be much better off without people like him [[that simply want to spew vitriol at who they deem to be opposition, worsening the divide).
    Last edited by 313WX; January-21-14 at 12:14 PM.

While I won't celebrate or call for the death of anyone, I think it's hilarious are calling for compassion when it comes LBP and mortality.

He certainly didn't extend it to anyone else.

After former Detroit Mayor Coleman Young’s death in 1997, Patterson minced no words: “He was singly responsible for the demise of Detroit. I can see he was a significant political force, but I don’t think he marshaled his energies in a constructive way. I think he was destructive.”

Unfortunately most of the outside world sees southeast Michigan [[Metro-Detroit) as one. Oakland-Wayne-Macomb and even Monroe and out toward A.A. and Howell as being "Detroit" .......... bad press is never good and it's certainly not helpful when one of our officials says these kinds of things. But I also think we give the outsiders like this reporter too much credit.

Stabbing your neighbor in the back doesn't make the neighborhood a better place to live does it? He should choose his words more carefully next time.
    Last edited by MotorCityTrikes; January-21-14 at 01:05 PM.

Nolan Finley rides to the rescue with a column in the Snooze under the headline of, "In Defense of L. Brooks Patterson"

Well, that's a surprise!

Well my paternal grand-mother always said 'You know how you came in, you don't know how you're going out'.

Not an LBP fan, but as a rule I'm not on a 'death count' for anyone. Folks who've done that have been surprised and you never know your own date.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I tend to agree with jt1 in context.

I wouldn't celebrate anyone's death nor would I wish death on anyone, but I certainly wouldn't miss LBP or shed a tear if he died. I'm sure there were many suburbanites who felt the same way about Coleman Young [[EDIT: I saw iheartthed's post above after posting my reply).

The region will be much better off without people like him [[that simply want to spew vitriol at who they deem to be opposition, worsening the divide).

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    But I also think we give the outsiders like this reporter too much credit.
    Seems to me she's got plenty of credits:

http://www.paige-williams.com/

Doesn't need ours.

That's L.B. Patterson being L.B. Patterson. A racist bigot!

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Nolan Finley rides to the rescue with a column in the Snooze under the headline of, "In Defense of L. Brooks Patterson"

Well, that's a surprise!
    Like I said above, the love of our kindly local press. No surprise they'd try to come riding to the rescue. They have enabled this asshole far too long. But then he supports and panders to exactly the same prejudices and divisiveness that "reporters" like Finley do.

This region has been so ill for so long.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-21-14 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Impossible. No such thing. I get the haters when there's gushi around with shit like "detroit has A-A mayors sinse the 70.s,"? I mean come on.
    I know you're not one to pretend Detroit doesn't have its problems, but it's absurd to believe everyone of a certain "background and education" would choose Detroit over an adjacent affluent county.

I don't have much time for GUSHI's even more absurd comments!

I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't agree with Patterson. I also don't really care about Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Like I said above, the love of our kindly local press. No surprise they'd try to come riding to the rescue. They have enabled this asshole far too long. But then he supports and panders to exactly the same prejudices and divisiveness that "reporters" like Finley do.

Finley's rescue column had me laughing by paragraph three. I mean, if LBP is the "greatest political talent of the last half century," then why does he just happen to be "impolitic"?

When Finley can't get a few paragraphs without a major act of hypocrisy, even his magic word dust can't hide the BS...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Finley's rescue column had me laughing by paragraph three. I mean, if LBP is the "greatest political talent of the last half century," then why does he just happen to be "impolitic"?

When Finley can't get a few paragraphs without a major act of hypocrisy, even his magic word dust can't hide the BS...
    In Finley's defense, it's hard for him to type with one hand and cradle Patterson's nuts in his other hand.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHA! Excellent, jt1!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

Well of course the bias is real. Keep in mind most of the folks working for our local press elected this asshole because he best represents where they stand [[where do you think most of them live after all? Oakland County or Detroit?). Essentially, by not defending him, they would be casting doubt on their own judgement.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast