Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    like I said the only good mayor we had in that time span was Dennis Archer, but to alot of Detroiters he was to white to be black, or that what alot of AA in my old hood use to say.
    It is unfortunate that detroit will never elect a white mayor . If archer was so great, what did he do for the city? I'd argue that you may have liked him because he seemed whiter because I can't point to any success under his tenure[[just like kk and bing)
    Last edited by jt1; January-20-14 at 07:40 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Ford Field , Comerica park, worked with the suburbs----He was a nice change form Young.--------Then we got big pimping KK,

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Just more of the , "oc is better than Detroit" stuff from gushi and others. That still doesn't address that the region continues to fall further behind other regions. But good for oc for being the skinniest kid at fat camp
    I agree, the "ours is nicer than yours" argument is just silly. All Patterson has to do is look out his office window from Telegraph Rd.... and look one way to see the dying Summit Place Mall... or look the other way towards Pontiac city center and environs. Detroit doesn't have a monopoly on disinvestment... just like Oakland County doesn't have a monopoly on wealth...

If Patterson doesn't see the disinvestment creeping out Northwestern Hwy in Southfield... then he's delusional as well...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-20-14 at 09:20 PM.

GUSHI Guest

HMmmmm Pontiac southfield, what doe they have in common

It is unfortunate that detroit will never elect a white mayor .
    Wait!!! Isn't Mayor Duggan, recently ELECTED, a white guy?

like I said the only good mayor we had in that time span was Dennis Archer, but to alot of Detroiters he was to white to be black, or that what alot of AA in my old hood use to say.
    Brooks! is that you???

You know, most of this is just boilerplate Brooks bullsh%t-speak that we've all heard before. But, I can not get over the disgusting Indian reservation comment, which manages to insult two different historically oppressed groups in one paragraph. He's usually more careful with his racism.

You know, I thought the tragic death of his son, and his own near-death experience not that long ago had finally awakened him to his humanity and the humanity of others, but I see he's still the same disgusting old man he's been since he was young.

Detroit's been making legitimate strides in for what's going on about five years, now, and he's going to drop a deuce right in the middle of that why? What a selfish and repugnant human-shaped entity this thing is.

Maybe Mayor Duggan should tell Patterson to have himself a good helping of "Shut It Stew"....

At least he will be dead soon. When his death is announced, I will celebrate one more small step towards healing this region.

Now, let's hope is death is something exceptionally ironic like him getting killed during a car jacking in Oakland County or killed by crumbling infrastructure in Oakland County.
    This is one of the most disturbing comments I have read on this board in a long time. Seriously. Perhaps you should look into some professional help.

BTW, Detroit's mayor is white.

I think that statement is the root of the problem. People are not choosing Oakland County over other locales throughout the country so the refrain of 'We're better than Detroit' isn't working.

Sure, Detroit sucks for most QOL issues but there is not a net migration of people into Metro Detroit or Oakland County. Until we, as a region, get past the 'We're better than Detroit' refrain, things in SE Michigan as a whole will not better.

We are all tied at the hip and the entire region is failing. I guess LBP and his followers would prefer to be the last people standing on a sinking ship as opposed to trying to right the ship in general.
    I'm not sure which statement, but my comment about choosing Oakland Co. was in direct response to an earlier, idiotic poobert comment.

His cronies must be in deep damage control now. Even if his camp thought that the writer was trying to bait him and getting select quotes out of Brooksie, he should've known better. But obviously not. he gave them just enough verbal vomit to paint him as a bloated fat cat politician who can't play nice with Detroit.

I'm not defending that everything he said wasn't true but what brings to my mind is... did he have to say them? And i think that's the biggest question I have for so many people now- do you need to say anything at all or are you smart and savvy enough to just say "I have no opinion" or I'd rather not answer that question" when tossed what could be inflammatory questions?

It was one of the factors---population in 1980 1.2 million plus. Coleman was a racist.
    And Brooksie is not a racist? Why hasn't Oakland County declined then?

...Oh wait, it's because we actually agree with and support Brooksie's racism, so HIM being a racist is perfectly fine.

Sad that people didn't get my sarcasm about Detroit and a white mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'm not sure which statement, but my comment about choosing Oakland Co. was in direct response to an earlier, idiotic poobert comment.
    Impossible. No such thing. I get the haters when there's gushi around with shit like "detroit has A-A mayors sinse the 70.s,"? I mean come on.

I love the little bitchy whine coming out of his office this evening that this was a hit piece by an author with an agenda who took his words out of context. Using Brooksie's own words: Tough sh%t. You want to be the boss until you're asked to pay the cost, apparently. You want to play a tough-guy cowboy on television, but when someone has the nerve to call you on it, you turn into a little...anyway. Apparently, admitting a blinding hate of Detroit isn't an "agenda", but a writer you told this to repeating your words often verbatim is an "agenda."

What blows my mind is that in the previous decade, alone, over two-hundred thousand mostly black Detroiters ended up crossing county lines to Oakland and Macomb counties. This whole black-white divide is so blurred, now, that the old rhetoric just looks so f%cking ridiculous. Apparently, Oakland County for him begins at 14 Mile, now. lol Obviously, he's not far enough gone to realize that words will have electoral consequences when he's out of office, right? He saw what happened in 2012 in the county, right? The state legislature had to unilaterally insert itself into the structure of government in OC to help him retain his majority on the commission.

If his focus has always been on keeping his county fiscally solvent and business friendly, why all of the extra and unnecessary antagonizing of your neighbor? He must realize that he's set his power structure up for a major backlash when he's gone, right? This could have been prevented, but when this county swings, boy is it going to swing.

Karma. She coming back around, baby. She may be late at times, but she always arrives.

best thing to do with Pattersons babble.........ignore

lily

I have every reason to believe that Brook's comments were taken out of context. I find it ironic that the day before this ran in the Freep which Brooks gives a lot of good reasons why the DIA needs our support now more than ever.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2014301190032

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    One of the things that's only briefly mentioned in the article, but certainly well-remembered by many Detroiters of my age, is the repulsive Wallace-like crusade that first brought "showman" Patterson to wider public attention around here.

You're going to put Detroitnerd out of business.

As I have always said "if you are afraid of Detroit, don't come here, we don't need your negativity or money". Scare your kid to stay away, they are the ones who enjoy a ball game or Concert and get shit-faced drunk and think that they can piss on the sidewalk. Please stay away and leave the City to those that want to make it a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I have every reason to believe that Brook's comments were taken out of context.
    That is certainly possible. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine how there could have been a context within which the reservation comment would be reasonable. Seriously misquoted, OK, but I don't think context can redeem that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That is certainly possible. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine how there could have been a context within which the reservation comment would be reasonable. Seriously misquoted, OK, but I don't think context can redeem that one.
    I've heard Brooks speak on numerous occasions. I think the fact that he does a two year budget and keeps it updated is amazing. I have mixed feelings about him because as County Prosecutor he brought up a manslaughter charge on my uncle that was dismissed after it went to court. Therefore, I see two sides to this guy.

Like CA Young, Brooks is a lightening rod. Both of them were smart-@$$e$. If you ask them a smart-@$$ question, then that would be the type of answer you are going to get.

I kind of question why he would want to continue being County Exec Director, but politicos seem to draw their life from being someone. Many won't retire or stay around far too long.

I have every reason to believe that Brook's comments were taken out of context. I find it ironic that the day before this ran in the Freep which Brooks gives a lot of good reasons why the DIA needs our support now more than ever.

Yeah, sure. I don't know why the New Yorker would care enough about him to print a hit piece. But if they did then he should file a suit.

Read between the lines.

I fully believe that he supports the DIA, just minus the "Detroit" part. He didn't even have the balls to call it the Detroit Institute of Arts.

Notice how he seemed to make it clear that it was only an "attraction not just for the region [[suburbs), but all of Michigan", not the city of Detroit. He even stopped just short of saying he doesn't want the DIA under Detroit's ownership.

It sort of like how folks support the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings, but only because they're the only professional sports teams in the region and thus a source of entertainment [[and Detroit is just a much more marketable name than "SE Michigan"). It's not like they support those teams to boast the city of Detroit.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-21-14 at 09:41 AM.

LBP's Spokesman---
    Bill Mullan, a spokesman for Patterson, issued the following statement concerning the New Yorker profile.

“It is clear Paige Williams had an agenda when she interviewed County Executive Patterson. She cast him in a false light in order to fit her preconceived and outdated notions about the region. Mr. Patterson’s record on advancing regional issues in a transparent and responsible manner is unparalleled. His initiatives – including such as Automation Alley, the regional law enforcement management system CLEMIS, and his leadership on the Cobo Authority – have had a highly positive and nationally recognized impact on the region.”

Mullan did not say Patterson was misquoted.
    If he was not misquoted, then how was any of it taken out of context? He, to my knowledge, has never appended nor retracted any of the quotes so ...if he's been taken out of context, what exactly was the right context for
    "I made a prediction a long time ago, and it's come to pass. I said, 'What we're going to do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, an then throw in the blankets and corn.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're going to put Detroitnerd out of business.
    Ha! Thanks for paying attention, Honky Tonk.

Thing is, though, when I use that kind of inflammatory imagery, it's usually an over-the-top gag. Oddly, those are actual photos from that period ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast