Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Good Ol' Brooksie Never Disappoints

I'm just dying to see who will come to his defense and with what defenses.

The New Yorker Profiles L. Brooks Patterson: The Detroit-Bashing Never Stops

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...g#.Ut0q0bQo7IV

Too bad Detroit doesn't have a cheerleader to defend it.

He's 75 and half crippled.

He's also already announced he's running again. Doesn't he have grandchildren he wants to spend time with.

He's one of the reasons this place looks just like it does. Like it was designed for a bunch of shortsighed angry old white men.

And his face resembles an over-masturbated penis.

Brizee brings up my usual points [[with the addition of the looking like a penis part, which is hilarious), but leaves out my one point I like to make...

Brooksie hates urban and urban-like developments. He has always been biased against Ferndale-esque communities, while praising Clarkston for being so safe and wonderful and whatever. He's completely and utterly neglected Royal Oak Township, much to the detriment of its residents. Everyone, whether on a local, state or national scale, seems to willfully ignore that there are more than one areas of Oakland County which are not exactly the standard of living you'd expect for a "platinum" community. Brooskie refuses to look at the big picture, neglecting the fact that a strong urban core with supporting suburban communities is quintessential to our region's success. Instead we're left with another "EFF YOU GOT MINE" old white guy. My generation will be paying for his short-sightedness for years to come.

* Patterson told me, “I used to say to my kids, ‘First of all, there’s no reason for you to go to Detroit. We’ve got restaurants out here.’ They don’t even have movie theatres in Detroit—not one.” He went on, “I can’t imagine finding something in Detroit that we don’t have in spades here. Except for live sports. We don’t have baseball, football. For that, fine—get in and get out. But park right next to the venue—spend the extra twenty or thirty bucks. And, before you go to Detroit, you get your gas out here. You do not, do not, under any circumstances, stop in Detroit at a gas station! That’s just a call for a carjacking.” . .

Oakland County is an overrated dump. It embodies what was fashionable 30 years ago - cheap, nouveau-riche suburbia. Feeble, geriatric incapacitated, and likely going mad, Brooks is unable to see the writing on the wall. He is Michigan's own George Wallace, and hurrying the state on to being the next Alabama. Now that a national trend has turned to urban living as an alternative to bland, milquetoast places such as Oakland County, Michigan has nothing to offer someone who desires that lifestyle. As a result, and for a myriad of other human mistakes, Michigan's population has flatlined and even dropped for decades. College-educated, urban-oriented professionals continue to earn their educations at illustrious Michigan institutions and take the next plane out of the state. The kind of short-sighted neighbor-hatred that Brooks has dedicated his life to has hurried the mutually-assured destruction of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties.

Detroit, for all its problems, offers incredible architecture, a vibrant arts scene and venerable cultural institutions, and some of the only pockets of urban living in the state. Even movie theatres. I, for one, would never live in Oakland County. It is simply not a desirable place for someone of my upbringing and education.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

He's also already announced he's running again. Doesn't he have grandchildren he wants to spend time with.

He's one of the reasons this place looks just like it does. Like it was designed for a bunch of shortsighed angry old white men.

This place?

That made me chuckle quite a bit! Patterson is quite hated, and his hate speech and overt racism doesn't help.

Many people blame Patterson for some of Detroit's woes, but I see it the other way around, Detroit's woes are to blame for Oakland County's success.

People don't want to live in a place filled with so much crime, terrible schools, and poor city services.

If you fix Detroit's problems, it will repopulate. Oakland and Macomb County are what they are because Detroit isn't what it ain't.

Detroit has an opportunity to fix its problems and rebuild as an urban city with larger lots and new homes.

Now if Detroit would stop resisting help and labeling it as a "takeover", it could move forward. The fact is, Detroit needs to be taken over because more of the same action will get you more of the same results.

Also, keep in mind that these pensioners that so many people are trying to protect live out in the sprawlburgs, not Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Also, keep in mind that these pensioners that so many people are trying to protect live out in the sprawlburgs, not Detroit.
    Oh yes, most of us are definitely well aware of that...

I never understood why people get so red in the face about the things that he says. He's a glorified salesman. He says what he needs to say to make his product sound like best thing in the world and to make every competing product sound like utter crap. He's the political equivalent of Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Wolf of Wall Street.

But right on cue, L Brooks trolls Detroit and everyone gets butt-hurt about it. Why do you even care? All the negative attention showered upon him from Detroit's direction is still just that...attention. All you're doing is feeding the troll.

There are times when there is no such thing as bad publicity.

He's playing to his constituency and loving every bit of it.

He don't care if your talkin' good or bad about him, just as long as your talkin' about him.

I think people already went over this territory 6 months ago:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...rview-with-LBP

At least he will be dead soon. When his death is announced, I will celebrate one more small step towards healing this region.

Kwame is gone, LBP will soon be gone and hopefully Ficano will be swept out of the office in the next election.

The question above about him wanting to retire to spend time with his family. My gut tells me his family doesn't care to spend that much time with him.

Now, let's hope is death is something exceptionally ironic like him getting killed during a car jacking in Oakland County or killed by crumbling infrastructure in Oakland County.

And to be clear: yes, I truly want him to die. It will help this region heal. Perhaps he and Manny Maroun can drive head on into each other and we can be without both of them [[Perhaps Cushingberry can be involved somehow as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    There are times when there is no such thing as bad publicity.

He's playing to his constituency and loving every bit of it.

He don't care if your talkin' good or bad about him, just as long as your talkin' about him.
    Some people wonder why Dennis Rodman went to North Korea and said all those crazy things he said. Well, nobody was talking about Dennis Rodman BEFORE he did those things, and now lots of people are talking about Dennis Rodman.

If L Brooks wasn't the caricature of person that he was, nobody would even know his name. Seriously, who would know the name of the Oakland County Commissioner if not for the fact that it's L Brooks Patterson and he says/does outlandish and controversial things?

There's method to his madness, and one of the big reasons why his schtick is so successful is because of the magnitude of the response he gets from thin-skinned people like many who post here in this forum.
    Last edited by aj3647; January-20-14 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I think people already went over this territory 6 months ago:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...rview-with-LBP
    No.

This thread is about a recent article with the New Yorker. That thread was about an article with BusinessWeek.

I suspect that many of Mr. Patterson's most loyal constituents probably agree with him on various fronts. Also the "fiscal conservatives", including some members of racial minorities, look at him as the AAA bond rating guy and are probably willing to turn a blind eye to his social commentaries. He will probably get reelected when the election comes up again. Oakland Dems will be bashing each other to death up to the primary; there may be few, if any, televised debates with the final two candidates.

Wouldn't he rather spend time with his booze than any grandkids?
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; January-20-14 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I never understood why people get so red in the face about the things that he says. He's a glorified salesman. He says what he needs to say to make his product sound like best thing in the world and to make every competing product sound like utter crap. He's the political equivalent of Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Wolf of Wall Street.

But right on cue, L Brooks trolls Detroit and everyone gets butt-hurt about it. Why do you even care? All the negative attention showered upon him from Detroit's direction is still just that...attention. All you're doing is feeding the troll.

Because if this giant dumpster fire of a region constitutes "Detroit" then he is a national embarrassment. So what do the fine readers of the New Yorker think of the Metro Detroit area? A bunch of jerks like Brooks in glorified trailer park called Oakland County, hmm, they might be right.

What kind of salesmanship is that? He isn't a salesman, he's a politician. He's playing to his audience already living in Oakland County. What about him would ever make anyone say "Wow, this Oakland County place sounds like a really forward-thinking, desirable place, I mean, they're not Detroit and they even have movie theatres." Basically he just keeps hitting home the fact that they're not Detroit, which everyone knows, and doesn't say much.

I never understood why everyone gets butthurt when Kwame does something Kwame-like and it's okay to flip out [[rightfully so) yet when Brooks goes on one of his alcohol and Alzheimers-induced tirades the reaction is "nothing to see here, just Brooks being Brooks." Hypocrisy at its finest. It's good for decent people to get outraged at thugs like Kwame and Brooks.

It's probably best to reserve judgment until the entire New Yorker article can be read. But the excerpts on Deadline Detroit are pretty hateful and ignorant. The author is a veteran and well respected writer. Misquotes are unlikely. Seems like anybody who thought LBP in his old age was softening and opening his eyes to a bigger and more tolerant world was probably mistaken. [[Ever notice how LBP squints?) Is he a wise old pol speaking truth to political correctness or is he really just a dick. I'll wait for the article.

He's obviously a GREAT SUCCESS as witnessed by what the assholes stoop to write on this thread to vent their HATE and JEALOUSY on someone who WORKS for and EARNS the accolades of his people. Of course the same assholes are at the front of the line to spend the wealth he's produced in Oakland County if they could only just get their fingers on itto blow it. If they had had a leader like Brooks Patterson they wouldn't be bankrupt they would be a contributor to Michigan [[maybe to add to the $1B surplus).
    Last edited by coracle; January-20-14 at 03:13 PM.

Well, I'll wait to read the article in print too -- but we see that 'Drop Dead, NYC' ended up pretty good for them -- so I'm don't really care what this guy says.

I'll be curious to read their take on how
    Oakland has achieved an unusually high bond rating and reputation for efficient, clean and progressive government.
    I suspect most here will simply complain about his 'racism', and say that his success was not a product of his efforts, but just that he was dealt a lucky hand.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; January-20-14 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Detroit's woes are to blame for Oakland County's success.
    But it's a lot easier to blame "outsiders". A lot of people here prefer that action.

I've never lived in Oakland county, but people of my background and education [[lived in many other states, advanced degrees, good job in higher ed, married parent, etc.) would rather live there than Detroit proper.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    But it's a lot easier to blame "outsiders". A lot of people here prefer that action.

I've never lived in Oakland county, but people of my background and education [[lived in many other states, advanced degrees, good job in higher ed, married parent, etc.) would rather live there than Detroit proper.
    I think that statement is the root of the problem. People are not choosing Oakland County over other locales throughout the country so the refrain of 'We're better than Detroit' isn't working.

Sure, Detroit sucks for most QOL issues but there is not a net migration of people into Metro Detroit or Oakland County. Until we, as a region, get past the 'We're better than Detroit' refrain, things in SE Michigan as a whole will not better.

We are all tied at the hip and the entire region is failing. I guess LBP and his followers would prefer to be the last people standing on a sinking ship as opposed to trying to right the ship in general.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    cheap, nouveau-riche suburbia.
    Great way of describing it!

But something I have to give Oakland County is Cranbrook. Even though it's been generations since Cranbrook has been important, a big chunk of America's art and design heritage is connected to Cranbrook in some way or another in the 1940s and 50s.

But I wonder what it's like to be a student there today. When you're on campus I'm sure it's like any art school, but what do they think when they leave the compound and find themselves in the middle of Oakland County? When they drive down Woodward or Big Beaver or the neighborhoods and you're surrounded by the complete opposite [[both in terms of the physical environment and the people)? I'd bet that most people at Cranbrook wish it was in Detroit. I also wonder what out of state and international students think when they learn about Cranbrook, see photos of it, hear that it's in Detroit, and then what they think when they get there and see where it actually is.

I'd also love for the people who Patterson talks to to actually see Oakland County. For after he tells them how great and amazing it is, for them to actually go there and see what he's talking about. For them to see the moderately landscaped boulevard and the unremarkable office parks of Big Beaver after him telling them so much about it.

L. Brooks is not my favorite person. But he is not Detroit's Imperial Overlord. It is not his fault that Detroit has high crime & high taxes. He does not go up to Detroit students and tell them to drop out. He does not impose addiction on a large portion of our population. He hasn't been destroying our streetlights for a generation. He hasn't been stealing from the city and directing no-bid contracts to friends and family.

I know that scapegoating is a convenient way to avoid hard choices. But Detroit does not have the problems it has because of low self-esteem brought about by L. Brooks Patterson. Most of Detroit's problems were caused by our citizens, voters and politicians. There are 2 things we should do about L. Brooks Patterson: ignore his comments, and prove him wrong by making this city a place people do want to visit, work and live in. And we don't need to trash Oakland County. Birmingham, Royal Oak and Ferndale have great downtowns. The whole county has wonderful parks. Residents keep up their homes and property. They do have [[relative to Detroit) low crime. Great schools in many districts. Lots of businesses thrive there, which pays a lot of taxes and a lot of employees. Detroit shouldn't rebel against those things, we should emulate them.

Aw common people... stop this silliness... for crying out loud...

There's more to Oakland County than just Cranbrook!!

When you start getting apoplectic over Patterson [[who is a pompous ass... agreed!)... you start going stupid about Oakland County architecture and scenery...

Lest we forget there are MANY beautiful areas there... for every Auburn Hills and Clarkston... there's historic Franklin or Rochester... the scenic drives along Kirkway or Orchard Lake... the beauty of Shrine of the Little Flower, Kirk In The Hills, or Christ Church Cranbrook.... the nice homes along the winding roads among the lake district or the rolling hills around Meadowbrooke Hall, the Woodward cooridor south of Pontiac with some of the nicest housing stock in metro Detroit... that are very much reminiscent of that along Outer Drive in Detroit.

So let's not throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater...

Just like Detroit... there's a lot of nice areas among the shitty ones... so lets not go there via this herd mentality....
    Last edited by Gistok; January-20-14 at 03:55 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast