Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    There are times when there is no such thing as bad publicity.

He's playing to his constituency and loving every bit of it.

He don't care if your talkin' good or bad about him, just as long as your talkin' about him.
    Some people wonder why Dennis Rodman went to North Korea and said all those crazy things he said. Well, nobody was talking about Dennis Rodman BEFORE he did those things, and now lots of people are talking about Dennis Rodman.

If L Brooks wasn't the caricature of person that he was, nobody would even know his name. Seriously, who would know the name of the Oakland County Commissioner if not for the fact that it's L Brooks Patterson and he says/does outlandish and controversial things?

There's method to his madness, and one of the big reasons why his schtick is so successful is because of the magnitude of the response he gets from thin-skinned people like many who post here in this forum.
    Last edited by aj3647; January-20-14 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Some people wonder why Dennis Rodman went to North Korea and said all those crazy things he said. Well, nobody was talking about Dennis Rodman BEFORE he did those things, and now lots of people are talking about Dennis Rodman.

If L Brooks wasn't the caricature of person that he was, nobody would even know his name. Seriously, who would know the name of the Oakland County Commissioner if not for the fact that it's L Brooks Patterson and he says/does outlandish and controversial things?

There's method to his madness, and one of the big reasons why his schtick is so successful is because of the magnitude of the response he gets from thin-skinned people like many who post here in this forum.
    On one hand, I agree with you about him being a troll. OTOH, I just don't understand how this is tolerated by the media or his constituents. The local Detroit media made more fuss when Bloomberg made unflattering comparisons of New York against Detroit than it does about Paterson opening his big fat mouth.

I live in New York and I just can't imagine any elected official making such a comment about any place in this region. I don't think it would have been cool for a suburban official to talk about New York 20 years ago when the city was registering 2,500 murders a year. It's not cool today for New York officials to talk about it's neighbor Newark, which also has a disturbingly high murder rate. But in Oakland County trashing Detroit essentially encouraged.

Then again, it's obviously just the lady protesting too much. If Oakland County were really that attractive in its own right then it would speak for itself.