Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Unfortunately, it looks as if the PlacePromo domain has expired [[as of 1/4, according to GoDaddy). If this remains true, it's a real shame, because those photos, small and blurry as they could be, were a real treasure trove of the physical state of the city just on the brink of the abandonment and blight that would devastate it so thoroughly over the next 3+ decades.

I wonder who has actual physical possession of those pictures and where they are kept? Does Burton Historical have any access to them?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-10-14 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I wonder who has actual physical possession of those pictures and where they are kept? Does Burton Historical have any access to them?
    The film negatives are held at the Detroit Historic Designation Advisory Board Office. Locating a particular building is a hassle. They have a map in the office that assigns a number for each block in the city. You have to use that number to find a physical index card in their files. Then that card contains a film negative roll number. Then you can use that number to find the film negative. The DHDAB office is open by appointment only.

A few years ago I bought a film negative scanner for the sole purpose of obtaining all of the 1976 images for Corktown, available here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corktow...7628099965522/

I regret not also scanning North Corktown. One of these days I have to take a day off work and make an appointment to go back for the rest.