Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

So, the new director starts next week. From Crain's:

John Roach, Mayor Mike Duggan's communications director, said the new DDOT director is from out of state and could be named publicly this week. The director is expected to start work by Jan. 15.

What perplexes me is how Duggan says he decided to do this after seeing folks standing out in the snow yesterday. OK, fine. But you already have somebody from out of state lined up? I suspect he wanted to do this from the get go, which is also fine, but why make it all based the poor performance in the weather this week? We all know D-DOT has been a mess for a long time. You don't need to use a snow storm to blame it on.

I thought this was also curious:

Paul Toliver, an MV Transportation employee who has been running DDOT since September, will report to the new director for the duration of MV's contract, which is scheduled to expire in September, Roach said.
    Last edited by downtownguy; January-08-14 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

John Roach, Mayor Mike Duggan's communications director, said the new DDOT director is from out of state and could be named publicly this week. The director is expected to start work by Jan. 15.

What perplexes me is how Duggan says he decided to do this after seeing folks standing out in the snow yesterday. OK, fine. But you already have somebody from out of state lined up? I suspect he wanted to do this from the get go, which is also fine, but why make it all based the poor performance in the weather this week? We all know D-DOT has been a mess for a long time. You don't need to use a snow storm to blame it on.

It makes for better press. "A man of the people".

This question is more than likely tangential...

I haven't ridden a Detroit bus in a long, long time but I was wondering do the drivers have anyone riding shotgun for them?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yup, and some people won't like the harshness of it, but you can't fix Detroit without making some very harsh and drastic changes.
    It would not surprise me if this is part of a larger plan to take much of the control back from Orr.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It would not surprise me if this is part of a larger plan to take much of the control back from Orr.
    I think Orr would love to get as much off of his plate as possible, as long as he can be reasonably sure Duggan's work will be responsible with respect to both budget and services. If Duggan starts fixing things left and right, he might have full power back sooner rather than later.

Every single city employee should have expectations for job performance. Anyone not achieving should be let go. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Every single city employee should have expectations for job performance. Anyone not achieving should be let go. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    again... fine... and the point is clearly moot, but the guy that Duggan summarily dismissed WAS the "expert" brought in less than 5 months ago and he was apparently fired for something entirely out of his control [[40% of the drivers not physically able to get into work).

What happens when duggan's new out of state "expert" brought in to turn around DDOT fails to do so in less than 5 months? Fire him and get another one?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    What happens when duggan's new out of state "expert" brought in to turn around DDOT fails to do so in less than 5 months? Fire him and get another one?
    Duggan should give each dept head a list of things he wants either accomplished or demonstrably underway with specific target dates. If they aren't getting it done, yes, you replace them. The length of time, of course, should depend on the specific department, the problems at hand, and the goal. I would actually be in favor of 6-month terms for department heads. At the end, they would need to lay out what they've gotten done, what they are currently doing, and the goals for the next 6 months.

again... fine... and the point is clearly moot, but the guy that Duggan summarily dismissed WAS the "expert" brought in less than 5 months ago and he was apparently fired for something entirely out of his control [[40% of the drivers not physically able to get into work).

Kinda makes one wonder of the trickle down effect of those who needed that bus to be there,did they lose a days pay? Did they really need that money to eat and pay bills so bad that they probably trudged through the snow freezing to go to a bus that did not show up?

An expert brought in 5 month's ago that did not have a snow plan in place?
    It does snow there,right?

I would have fired him also,to many people depending on the bus system to be let down like that,next would be the 40% that did not show up.That is a big percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

The Mayor might've been trekking around the city prior to his being sworn in and seen people waiting at bus stops for buses that are running late. And after seeing that been like "Maybe I should start searching for someone so I can have a competent official I trust in that position". Or it could be... more... sinister...

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That's how it use to be in Detroit when I was growing up in the 60's and early to mid 70's. The snow was always plowed, until the crooks slowly started emptying the cookie jar.
    If I remember correctly, where I grew up [[ Littlefield between Vassar and St Martins ) The streets were not plowed after storms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just heard this on WDET. Duggan seems to have grabbed the bull by the horns, verbally at least, declaring that change is already happening. He touted the success in plowing the snow from all Detroit streets and implementing 24 hour garbage pickup/catch up as his evidence.

Saying he was appalled by seeing crowded bus stops caused by buses running two hours late on his drive in to work, he has fired the DDOT chief.

He is asking Detroiters for a six month honeymoon, urging them to stick it out and not move away. He also declared that the city's population will be growing by the time of the next mayoral election.

He definitely hit the ground running. What will happen when he hits the many walls and political land mines out there? Good luck Mike.
    I don't want to sound negative, I hate negative people but Bing sounded good in the beginning too. He almost had me convinced, I thought he was going to make a difference. It's got to be tough running a city with no middle class tax base.

Softrailrider, you are completely correct in that we have been lead to believe in things before. Even when Kwame first came to power, he had a certain energy that I found appealing [[even though I was in NY at the time). So there is a track record of high expectations vs. low returns.

I try to maintain a "skeptical optimism." I think the city's trajectory of getting things in order [[thanks to many factors, from politicians, Orr, and business people like Gilbert). But I also think we need to make sure that we spend money wisely; that we need to reject bad ideas, even when they are well intended; and that we need to get through a lot of tough times to make a nicer city.

Mike Duggan might be an amazing or an awful mayor. We'll see. One thing I think he won't be, though, is inactive. Here's to hoping.

Yep. Him and get another. And never be shy about failure. There will always be failures. What is unacceptable is hiding the failure -- or even worse not admitting the failure -- and instead just saying everything is perfect. That's what most perplexes me about education. People don't seem to mind the massive failures. And when someone wants to try something new, they are attacked because its not a proven technique -- or even worse with claims that because that idea was tried before, it can't work. Many self-made rich people have long strings of failures behind them.

Yep -- if this new gal fails, then replace her with someone else. And quickly.

MV is a Texas-bases transportation management company with service contracts in many cities. Toliver, an acknowledge leader in municipal transit, works for MV. MV has a contract here thru August with the option for a second year. Toliver is just MV's top guy here. He doesn't need to be the "Director" of DDOT.Duggan gets to appoint a Director to work with MV.
    Cobo is now run by a national facility management company, SMG, to great success. SMG employees manage sales, marketing, HR, finance, security, maintenance.
    Sometimes it pays to farm work out to experts.

Duggan said that he had ridden with the garbage collectors and order more collectors on the street to work 24 hours. Duggan said that he had ridden in a snow plower and order more plowers on the street to help plow the snow. Duggan said that he had noticed people waiting at the bus stops; found out that the busses will be running two hours apart; fired the DDOT director; but didn't say anything about ordering more busses out of the garage unto the lines for speedier service. What a smokescreen

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If I remember correctly, where I grew up [[ Littlefield between Vassar and St Martins ) The streets were not plowed after storms.
    I agree. I grew up in Detroit and was born in the mid-60's never saw a plow on local streets until a huge snow storm when Archer was in office. I do remember the block getting together and paying a guy with a jeep to sweep the walks with this cool attachment. Saw a lot of kids shagging to school though!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree. I grew up in Detroit and was born in the mid-60's never saw a plow on local streets until a huge snow storm when Archer was in office. I do remember the block getting together and paying a guy with a jeep to sweep the walks with this cool attachment. Saw a lot of kids shagging to school though!
    I know what you're talking about, I remember the jeep with the spinning broom on the front doing the sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Duggan said that he had ridden with the garbage collectors and order more collectors on the street to work 24 hours. Duggan said that he had ridden in a snow plower and order more plowers on the street to help plow the snow. Duggan said that he had noticed people waiting at the bus stops; found out that the busses will be running two hours apart; fired the DDOT director; but didn't say anything about ordering more busses out of the garage unto the lines for speedier service. What a smokescreen
    With the citizen and media criticism machine in high gear, you need to have the smokescreen engaged at the same time you are working on real results.

People, for the most part, do not understand how things work. They like simplistic images. They often work. Dukakis riding a tank -- or Bush with 'mission accomplished' -- Obama with 'if you like your coverage'. Smokescreens all.

So what. Let's discuss what he's doing -- not how you think he's sending up smokescreens. Smokescreens are a normal part of modern media life.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The best thing about his situation is the Emergency Manager. Most individuals would have fought back, but Duggan has forged a relationship out of necessity. By doing this, many of the walls he stands to hit, he can go to Orr and he can approve changes without having to get clowncil approval. Orr has very broad and substantial powers, and Duggan certainly sees this as an advantage, which is why he is working with Orr while he is here. The goal is not for Orr to be here, but as long as he is, he can be a major asset to breaking down the barriers of city government that got in the way and put the city in this predicament in the first place.

It may pose a bigger problem down the road when Orr leaves, but the hope is, that many of those barriers are exposed and eliminated while he is here.
    Excellent analysis^ esp. He is singing a song many in Detroit have been wanting to hear by 'taking names and kicking butts'. It appeals on the PR level and he is getting loads of attaboys but he does this with a degree of protection from the man with the checkbook, Orr.

..the guy that Duggan summarily dismissed WAS the "expert" brought in less than 5 months ago and he was apparently fired for something entirely out of his control [[40% of the drivers not physically able to get into work).

Another excellent^ point that made me go hmmm... The fact that Duggan had a replacement at hand and that the current chief is not having his desk emptied and being frog-walked out of the building but will be hanging around until Sept. does add a bit curiosity to this drama.

It is as if Duggan is gambling he can get things noticeably improved in six months, and more importantly before Orr leaves and democracy returns, that he will have so much popularity and political capital that Council will in his pocket [or afraid of him] instead of being the rancorous obstructionist body it too has often been.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    With the citizen and media criticism machine in high gear, you need to have the smokescreen engaged at the same time you are working on real results.

People, for the most part, do not understand how things work. They like simplistic images. They often work. Dukakis riding a tank -- or Bush with 'mission accomplished' -- Obama with 'if you like your coverage'. Smokescreens all.

So what. Let's discuss what he's doing -- not how you think he's sending up smokescreens. Smokescreens are a normal part of modern media life.
    All of the services that he had mentioned were stepped up during this polar vortex with the exception of bus service. It is good that he had fired the director. He didn't say that he had ordered more busses on the line especially during this past critical week

A few observations, since some of you haven't been reading the articles or don't know Duggan:

- Danny is usually wrong about everything, and sometime in some bizarre ways, but he brought up something that just seemed to be totally ignored: Mike Duggan served for a number of years in the 90's as the general manager of SMART. This wasn't some rash or weird fiiring; Duggan knows a thing or two about running a transit system, okay?

- Toliver isn't being "fired", he's being demoted. Now, this is where one must read between the lines. Duggan was given control over many city services [[including DDOT), but the current DDOT director was hired by Orr with a contract that ends in September, when Orr is supposed to be on his way out. Either Duggan made a deal with Orr before hand over this, or Duggan didn't want to totally piss off Orr and start some local government crisis over who is really in charge by just flat out getting rid of Toliver, so he's allowing this contract to run its course [[a contract that even apart from a power struggle, probably has a clause that would force the city to pay him out if fired) while clearly displaying that he's not going to be a pushover.

- Until DDOT can be spun off like public lighting was, it's ALWAYS going to have problems. No transit system in this nation could function with its funding raided every fiscal year as much as DDOT's has been. No doubt there are some cultural problems within th department that need to be worked out, but there is no cultural change that could be made that would have prevented the cutting of 24-hour service in dozens of routes over the year. This is a funding issue before anything else. The system's only real hope is to be spun off to the RTA, but it's going to be a whole other year before they are even up-and-running at full-speed, and even the legislation that created the RTA didn't provide any specific and dedicated funding for the actual agency, so it'll be likely years before they are even able to entertain the idea of taking on ANY transit system in the region.

I'm glad Duggan is flexing his muscle early on. As someone who believes in co-operating with the EM while he's here, I am and will always be fundamentally against the idea of the expanded law. Folks knew when they elected Duggan what he was about. This man is not cute and cuddly; he gets shit done, and steps on toes, and I hope that allays the fears of some Detroiters who didn't trust him to have their interest at heart. He's putting everyone on notice - the state AND the local hangers-on - that there's a new boss in town, and he ain't like the old one.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who supported him because they actually believed the rumors from his opponents that he was a stalking horse for Snyder. Boy, are you going to be sadly disappointed if that's the reason you got behind his candidacy.

Mike came to Detroit to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and he's all out of bubblegum.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-09-14 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post

- Until DDOT can be spun off like public lighting was, it's ALWAYS going to have problems. No transit system in this nation could function with its funding raided every fiscal year as much as DDOT's has been. No doubt there are some cultural problems within th department that need to be worked out, but there is no cultural change that could be made that would have prevented the cutting of 24-hour service in dozens of routes over the year. This is a funding issue before anything else. The system's only real hope is to be spun off to the RTA, but it's going to be a whole other year before they are even up-and-running at full-speed, and even the legislation that created the RTA didn't provide any specific and dedicated funding for the actual agency, so it'll be likely years before they are even able to entertain the idea of taking on ANY transit system in the region.

so is it politically feasible to try and shunt DDOT into the RTA? I can see local folks start assuming it's just a means to ultimately "end" urban Detroit bus service or further cut routes heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so is it politically feasible to try and shunt DDOT into the RTA? I can see local folks start assuming it's just a means to ultimately "end" urban Detroit bus service or further cut routes heavily.
    Nope.

RTA Act requires unanimous vote of RTA Board and regional vote to take over legacy costs of any existing transit operator.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    What's that old saying about "assuming" [[ass u me)? Just fix the problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast