Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I can't really comment much about the DDOT situation, but regarding the snow, I was impressed that he even had a plan. He was talking about what they were going to do on Friday before the storm hit. I can't remember a Detroit mayor taking to the airwaves with their snow storm plan ahead of the storm in the past.
    Communications IS commendable, but was it necessary or even out of the ordinary? My point was, where I live, I really didn't notice any big change from what has happened in the past after a big snowfall. MD made it sound like nothing was in place and he orchestrated it all. Maybe people in other parts of Detroit have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Communications IS commendable, but was it necessary or even out of the ordinary? My point was, where I live, I really didn't notice any big change from what has happened in the past after a big snowfall. MD made it sound like nothing was in place and he orchestrated it all. Maybe people in other parts of Detroit have a different opinion.
    He is communicating, and telling the citizens of his city what his game plan is. Bing never did that. Kilpatrick never did that. This is an improvement. The results might be the same, or even slightly better, but he is communicating, and that is a huge step ahead of Dave "Walking Corpse" Bing and convicted racketeer Kwame Kilpatrick.

Also I have a feeling that the firing of the DDOT chief is a decent start because maybe he can get someone in there who is willing to bust arse to figure out how to best use limited resources. At least MD is doing SOMETHING, can you name anything Dave Bing did in the past year?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    He is communicating, and telling the citizens of his city what his game plan is. Bing never did that. Kilpatrick never did that. This is an improvement. The results might be the same, or even slightly better, but he is communicating, and that is a huge step ahead of Dave "Walking Corpse" Bing and convicted racketeer Kwame Kilpatrick.

Also I have a feeling that the firing of the DDOT chief is a decent start because maybe he can get someone in there who is willing to bust arse to figure out how to best use limited resources. At least MD is doing SOMETHING, can you name anything Dave Bing did in the past year?
    He proclaimed May 21st-May 27th, 2013, Detroit Techno Week.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    He proclaimed May 21st-May 27th, 2013, Detroit Techno Week.
    Also, it should be noted that while Bings accomplishments were few ,, no matter what he tried, he was systematically blocked by a pathetic City Council,, whatever Bing recommended, they automatically took the other stance.. He on some occasions could have over rode them but generally chose not to [[ not necessarily a good choice) , other times his hands were totally tied.. Duggan does not have to deal with this idiocy, yet, due to the EM. Once he is gone , Im hoping the ship of fools mentality doesnt emerge again.. The jury is out on this one,, The fact that they chose the new President and Cushingberry does not bode well, The more rational ones ofcourse did not vote for them. Im very disappointed in Gabe Lelands stances/voting so far. I thought he wouldnt buy into the old guard.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Also, it should be noted that while Bings accomplishments were few ,, no matter what he tried, he was systematically blocked by a pathetic City Council,, whatever Bing recommended, they automatically took the other stance.. He on some occasions could have over rode them but generally chose not to [[ not necessarily a good choice) , other times his hands were totally tied.. Duggan does not have to deal with this idiocy, yet, due to the EM. Once he is gone , Im hoping the ship of fools mentality doesnt emerge again.. The jury is out on this one,, The fact that they chose the new President and Cushingberry does not bode well, The more rational ones ofcourse did not vote for them. Im very disappointed in Gabe Lelands stances/voting so far. I thought he wouldnt buy into the old guard.
    The self-serving fights against the EM laws foster a mentality that there was nothing wrong with the old ways. It shouldn't then be a surprise when some voters agree -- seeing the alternative as evil state control driven by Wall Street and multinationals.

Do I recall correctly that Orr can dissolve council? Let's see where Cushingberry takes this game. As Orr becomes a lame duck, it might get to be fun again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do I recall correctly that Orr can dissolve council? Let's see where Cushingberry takes this game. As Orr becomes a lame duck, it might get to be fun again.
    No, one of the Cushenberry news articles mentions that Orr cannot remove a council member... only stop paying them....

He did that with Pugh last summer, when he wasn't showing up for council meetings before he resigned.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-11-14 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    No, one of the Cushenberry news articles mentions that Orr cannot remove a council member... only stop paying them....

He did that with Pugh last summer, when he wasn't showing up for council meetings before he resigned.
    Really -- so it just like the mayor's office. The council still has all its powers -- except those it forfeited by the results of their malfeasance.

Thanks.