Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Whatever standard you compare this storm to, pace yourself. No one needs a heart attack. I plan to take frequent breaks and spend the whole day clearing this stuff despite the plummeting thermometer.

The neighbor is plowing the public street with his own truck. What a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    As mentioned earlier the severity of this storm must really depend on where in Metro Detroit you are located. I was out late last night and even the main roads out this way were barely passable unless you had 4 wheel drive. "Getting up a little earlier" would not have made any difference for those in cars or 2wd trucks. I just got a call from my mail carrier and they are not even delivering today to most areas in Milford Township. I work from my home and rely on my daily mail pickup and I can not remember this happening in the last 10 years. The company that plows my drive has been here 3 times in 24 hours and if it snows again I have no idea where they will push the snow!

Out this way I would venture to say this is one of the most [[If not the most) significant snow storms we have had since the storm of 1999. The biggest threat now will be the record low temps and high winds they are calling for tonight and tomorrow. Salt does not work at all when the temps get this low, and if one were to become stranded exposure to the elements would be a serious concern.
    Eh, I'm being cranky [[its the same group of people....every.damn.time) But you're sort of making my point re: those my rant was directed toward [[ and I understand I'm ranting) You live in an exurban sprawl/semi rural-ish area. on a good day that is probably a 45 minute commute downtown. It snowed a lot, I understand that, and I understand things will be delayed, but people need to learn to deal with it. It's not the apocalypse every time we have a snow event.

And if it is a huge problem for your toyota tercel to navigate Michigan roads in the winter from your home in Lake Orion to your job in downtown detroit... perhaps evaluate your choices. ... rant over.

side note: we had to have been hit with at least 8-9 inches in GP and the streets and sidewalks were both plowed by the city [[at least the ones I saw) overnight and the biggest issue I had was getting rid of the pile of snow at my driveway's apron from the multiple overnight passes by the plows.
    Last edited by bailey; January-06-14 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The neighbor is plowing the public street with his own truck. What a guy.
    Were you referring to my photo? I didn't see any truck plowing Eureka Road at the time I took it.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    And if it is a huge problem for your toyota tercel to navigate Michigan roads in the winter from your home in Lake Orion to your job in downtown detroit... perhaps evaluate your choices. ... rant over.
    Try taking a four-wheeler at any time during massive snowstorms from, for example, your Grand Blanc home to your office in Troy or from Jackson to Livonia... would you experience the same? There are plenty of huge hills you have to pass on both routes.
    Last edited by mtburb; January-06-14 at 12:28 PM.

Here in Midtown, my car is basically stuck. I live in the alley that Dalley takes place in, and the snow is impassable. I dug out my garage to the ruts in the alley, but the snow is so high that my Ford Focus got stuck within 20 feet. None of the landlords who have parking back here feel any responsibility to hire a plow, and it would probably take all of us with a shovel an hour to make it passable.

Basically, I don't see me driving anywhere for a few days. Only after more cars drive through and compact the snow down, since there isn't going to be any melting... As my sister-in-law said, maybe all these gusts will just blow the snow out of the alley.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Try taking a four-wheeler at any time during massive snowstorms from, for example, your Grand Blanc home to your office in Troy or from Jackson to Livonia... would you experience the same?
    Try not living an hour or more [[on a good day) from work in the first place? It stopped snowing before midnight in most places... it wasn't dumping snow at rush hour. again... i'm ranting/venting because it caused an issue today and it's the same handful of people every-time there is a weather event and it's the same excuse... "it's just too hard to get in".

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    Here in Midtown, my car is basically stuck. I live in the alley that Dalley takes place in, and the snow is impassable. I dug out my garage to the ruts in the alley, but the snow is so high that my Ford Focus got stuck within 20 feet. None of the landlords who have parking back here feel any responsibility to hire a plow, and it would probably take all of us with a shovel an hour to make it passable.

Basically, I don't see me driving anywhere for a few days. Only after more cars drive through and compact the snow down, since there isn't going to be any melting... As my sister-in-law said, maybe all these gusts will just blow the snow out of the alley.
    For days like that, if the buses are running at all and you are very prepared to stand in negative temps [[and if you own a cell phone), you best have DDOT's "text my bus" app thingy they occasionally advertise on the city's local cable access channel.

Understand your rant. Some people will get drive phobic over less snow. Folks in Atlanta for example go into ultra-panic mode if they see a snow flake or an ice cube on their roads. The economy warrants that more people work and drive distances. I commuted somewhat for years, albiet less than half an hour away. I drove to work in anything, rain snow or sleet -- but I did not live in one of those areas un-plowed....

I even once drove a Toyota Tercel... stick shift, five speed. Never got stuck!

Try not living an hour or more [[on a good day) from work in the first place?

Eh, I'm being cranky [[its the same group of people....every.damn.time) But you're sort of making my point re: those my rant was directed toward [[ and I understand I'm ranting) You live in an exurban sprawl/semi rural-ish area. on a good day that is probably a 45 minute commute downtown. It snowed a lot, I understand that, and I understand things will be delayed, but people need to learn to deal with it. It's not the apocalypse every time we have a snow event.

side note: we had to have been hit with at least 8-9 inches in GP and the streets and sidewalks were both plowed by the city [[at least the ones I saw) overnight and the biggest issue I had was getting rid of the pile of snow at my driveway's apron from the multiple overnight passes by the plows.
    Well, I know of very few people out here that commute to Detroit. As I mentioned I work from home, so my only mandatory daily commute is to the mailbox at the end of my road . I am fully prepared for the weather [[4x4 truck, 4x4 tractor with a plow [[if needed), 80 gallon tubs of sand and salt, etc, etc, etc). I'll be fine, but for my elderly neighbors and my friend who is two days past her due date this storm isn't just another overblown non event. I know you are just ranting, but is it really out of line for someone to complain and worry about a storm that is probably a once in a decade weather event?

Well, I would like to tell you that Google+ took one of the photos I posted earlier in this thread and added animated snow to it!

Does this seem crazy?

Were you referring to my photo? I didn't see any truck plowing Eureka Road at the time I took it....
    Oh, no. I meant my neighbor.

Thanks for the photos though. That always spices up a thread.

It's exactly 2 months from today that I leave for Lakeland. As long as I-75 is clear by then I'm good. Spring training tickets go on sale this Saturday if anyone else is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Well, I know of very few people out here that commute to Detroit. As I mentioned I work from home, so my only mandatory daily commute is to the mailbox at the end of my road . I am fully prepared for the weather [[4x4 truck, 4x4 tractor with a plow [[if needed), 80 gallon tubs of sand and salt, etc, etc, etc). I'll be fine, but for my elderly neighbors and my friend who is two days past her due date this storm isn't just another overblown non event. I know you are just ranting, but is it really out of line for someone to complain and worry about a storm that is probably a once in a decade weather event?
    Kind of. yes. Especially when we had a week of warning. this wasn't that weird ice storm out of the blue that took down power lines. This was a "special weather alert" since at least Tuesday?..maybe even Monday? If one is due to pop, should one be staying in their remote home in a "severe winter snow event" or might they look into staying overnight somewhere near to or at least with better access to a hospital? Friends, family, heck a hotel for one night...for at little piece of mind?

Look, I should have added that several of those that set me off this morning also posted selfies of their attendance at the Winter Classic last week and stories of their arduous trip getting there and what they dealt with at the game.

Kind of. yes. Especially when we had a week of warning. this wasn't that weird ice storm out of the blue that took down power lines. This was a "special weather alert" since at least Tuesday?..maybe even Monday? If one is due to pop, should one be staying in their remote home in a "severe winter snow event" or might they look into staying overnight somewhere near to or at least with better access to a hospital? Friends, family, heck a hotel for one night...for at little piece of mind?

Look, I should have added that several of those that set me off this morning also posted selfies of their attendance at the Winter Classic last week and stories of their arduous trip getting there and what they dealt with at the game.
    Then be mad @ them, not @ us! We made it, we're all here!

And 'texting' is nearly impossible on a smart phone in cold weather, even often with the 'special' finger gloves... lovely!

For days like that, if the buses are running at all and you are very prepared to stand in negative temps [[and if you own a cell phone), you best have DDOT's "text my bus" app thingy they occasionally advertise on the city's local cable access channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And 'texting' is nearly impossible on a smart phone in cold weather, even often with the 'special' finger gloves... lovely!
    I saw people texting while driving today; another sign this wasn't a "massive blizzard". Someone posted the criteria for a blizzard - heavy/blowing snow, high winds, reduced visibilities for a prolonged period. The NWS never issued any blizzard warning for this area.

I'm with Bailey on this. Your complaints of commuting in this snow are for areas I hardly call "metro" Detroit. Move. I'm on the eastside. I drive I friggin Fiat and I was able to back out of my unshoveled driveway and drive to a restaurant, the bank, and several stores today with no problems, and all were open- another sign this wasn't a massive blizzard. Don't fall for the hype.

http://www.wxyz.com/subindex/weather/school_closings

must be pretty bad if all these schools are closed....some through tuesday

Dressed up looking like a cross between Napolian Dynomite and my friends from the UP,we cleaned up the car lot today.I should say half the lot,because the other half will have to wait until the wind calms down on Wed.13" of snow,20mph winds and now drifts up to 2'.Never had school closed in the 60s-74.The 1974 Dec1 blast was about 18" of snow with thunder and lightning that night!School was closed for that week because the teachers and busses couldn't get down the side streets.This was in Oak Park.
    Bloomfield Twp did a great job on our sub last night.Piled up the snow in everyones driveway and had to dig out that 3' mess before attempting Telegragh.Just my cold-ass rant.

Umm, to some extent the media, and news outlets hype everything, while downplaying and concealing others: great imitators are they.

Specifically, I was talking about texting 'OUTSIDE' like a bus stop, standing... it can be 35 degree, sun with blue skies and most smart phones cannot be dialed with a glove on and some starting acting balky even to the touch period. This is not a factor in the car, assuming you have heat in the car.

And I've always been a great snow driver with the exception of a couple of few spins out. Snow day was a work day: thick and thin. Now I work at a college that is closed today. That's the way of it. In a way it's not just the snow that is an issue for driving. It is the maniacs driving poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I saw people texting while driving today; another sign this wasn't a "massive blizzard".
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-06-14 at 03:46 PM.

Looks like WSU and HFCC are back in business...

I weny to a Catholic School, the nuns went from the convent to the school via tunnel, the only bonus days were 11/1 and 3/17. Now a days, so many kids rely on school buses to get them to school, for safety sake, it's easier to just call a snow day than to rely on the buses and bus drivers and the roads being cleared.

Those pictures don't seem all that bad. About like what I remember in the 60s and 70s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2