Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
A lot of murders are people getting angry at something [[usually "disrespect" ) and making bad decisions while angry. Without guns in the picture most of those turn into fist fights.
You're insinuating that guns will magically disappear. Criminals will always find a way to arm themselves, I don't care what kind of legislation is passed. Furthermore, disarming society is simply not going to happen. That's like banning candy.

Even more murders are gang related, and everyone is already armed.
Agreed.

And yeah, the burglars might like to pick easy targets, but if the situation changes to where every burglary turns into a gunfight, then the criminals are going to make sure they'll win the gunfight, and they have a severe advantage.
I would speculate an increasing amount of violent crimes already result in homicide, aside from the gang violence. The concept being suggested by Craig is a reactionary response to the current state of affairs. Criminals now more than ever seem devoid of respect for life. I think they realize the best way to avoid being caught and imprisoned.

And the statistics have been run on guns, and gun owners are far far more likely to either accidentally or intentionally kill themselves than they are to use the gun to defend themselves.
No offense, but this argument is a strawman. If anything, we could utilize the arming/mobilization of citizens as an opportunity to increase gun safety and training. Anybody who kills themselves with their own weapon is simply falling victim to Darwinism.

I appreciate your points, but we have bigger fish to fry here. The 35+ year status quo in Detroit re: crime s NOT working. Regardless of who has overseen the DPD, violent crimes remain a huge deterrent to the city when it comes to residency, population and business investment - let alone our national reputation.

I'm not sure if this is the answer to our problems, but it's certainly time to try something different.