Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Ok, I'm really just curious about this article due to the last line.

"But Jim Casha, an RTA critic from Norwich, Ontario, called the entire process a sham."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/11/17/rta-may-consider-wayne-washtenaw-transit-connection/94041756/

Who is Jim Casha? And why is the Freep quoting a Canadian from BF Ontario about our regional politics? That line literally makes no sense.

So... apparently Mark Hackel is putting a bullet into a 2018 RTA vote in favor of SMART.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/com...eat_and_board/

SMART absolutely sucks for seniors in Warren.
    The drivers are often late, causing missed appointments, and in turn F-up a day you thought was going to run smoothly since you didn't have to chauffeur.
    Been burned once to often. SMART gets a big fat No NO Hell No !! from me.
    I resolved myself to drive my mom to any and all appointments last year.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    SMART absolutely sucks for seniors in Warren.
    The drivers are often late, causing missed appointments, and in turn F-up a day you thought was going to run smoothly since you didn't have to chauffeur.
    Been burned once to often. SMART gets a big fat No NO Hell No !! from me.
    I resolved myself to drive my mom to any and all appointments last year.
    Then we could definitely use some support to the RTA proposal. I believe that by passing the proposal next year, that SMART would be forced to make some changes that would be in your favor. The RTA has until next year to modify the original proposal that would be easier to apporve.

This was the first broad transit thread I could find, so I'm going to post it here. Looks like SMART is upping its transit game come January...

https://www.smartbus.org/About/News/.../252/Get-Ready

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    This was the first broad transit thread I could find, so I'm going to post it here. Looks like SMART is upping its transit game come January...

Sounds wonderful, if lacking in detail! Unfortunately the Professor's main inside contact person at SMART retired a couple years back [[they don't force that on us in academia, thank goodness) so I can't get an inside scoop, but I can't wait to see the details. One takeaway that seems clear enough from the limited detail they provided: SMART is backing down a bit from their unfortunate "rush hour only" service to Detroit.

There's a increase in regular fare to 2.00 for DDOT Regular fare to align itself with SMART that's being considered.

It was considered years ago, and the city had a lot of opposition from the public. Of course, in order for regional transit to be successful, the fares would have to be the same.

Anyone disagrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    There's a increase in regular fare to 2.00 for DDOT Regular fare to align itself with SMART that's being considered.

It was considered years ago, and the city had a lot of opposition from the public. Of course, in order for regional transit to be successful, the fares would have to be the same.

Anyone disagrees?
    Couple thoughts.

First of all, in DC, the bus fare for the DC Metrobus is $1.75. Some of the suburban bus systems charge the same fare and some don't, but they all take the same fare-card so it doesn't really cause too many headaches. So I don't think a matching fare is a prerequisite for a successful regional transit system so much as I think the routes could be better designed.

Second, DDOT has one of the lowest fares - maybe the lowest fare - of any big-city bus system in North America. $2.00 is probably reasonable, and of course people will complain; that's natural any time you raise the price of anything. But I think DDOT has made great strides in improving their span of service and reliability, and if people need to cough up another four bits to keep things moving in a positive direction, that seems reasonable.

If you're using the system a lot, buy the regional pass, and then you aren't impacted by the per-ride fares at all.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Query: Are your initials LH? If so, we've worked on transit issues together.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Nope but I worked under that individual for quite a while

It would be a lot easier if you only needed one card for the QLine, DDOT, SMART, DPM, and the Ann Arbor Transit Authority.

It doesn't make since to pay $69.50 for 2 regional cards every month.

Grand Rapids can make a smart card for their transit authority, and many cities, whose populations are similar to theirs, have already done so.

Detroit is the largest city in Michigan. There is no excuse.

I hope that the establishment of BRT starts sometime next year, even if DDOT has to go into creating those routes by itself.

This city needs better public transportation, we've waited too long. We can't wait anymore.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    It would be a lot easier if you only needed one card for the QLine, DDOT, SMART, DPM, and the Ann Arbor Transit Authority.

It doesn't make since to pay $69.50 for 2 regional cards every month.

Grand Rapids can make a smart card for their transit authority, and many cities, whose populations are similar to theirs, have already done so.

Detroit is the largest city in Michigan. There is no excuse.

I hope that the establishment of BRT starts sometime next year, even if DDOT has to go into creating those routes by itself.

This city needs better public transportation, we've waited too long. We can't wait anymore.
    Yes! And a tourist or visitors version of the pass should also get you into the museums, Zoo, and the attractions on Belle Isle and the Riverwalk.

We need a city card.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post
    Yes! And a tourist or visitors version of the pass should also get you into the museums, Zoo, and the attractions on Belle Isle and the Riverwalk.

We need a city card.
    That is an exceptional idea. I don't know what the price would be, but a transit/culture card, good for a few days would be great way to make visiting easier.

I do think the RTA should take a strong lead on the universal-card plan, and it could make it simple by saying, "systems on the universal card will be eligible for RTA money, those not will not be." If I had my druthers Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing and Grand Rapids systems would all use the same card. It would be great for people travelling in state for any reason. College kids, tourists, etc could benefit.

DetroitNightLights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    That is an exceptional idea. I don't know what the price would be, but a transit/culture card, good for a few days would be great way to make visiting easier.

I do think the RTA should take a strong lead on the universal-card plan, and it could make it simple by saying, "systems on the universal card will be eligible for RTA money, those not will not be." If I had my druthers Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing and Grand Rapids systems would all use the same card. It would be great for people travelling in state for any reason. College kids, tourists, etc could benefit.
    I have been hounding the city to do this for years. My husband went to all those citizens meetings to get the light rail going, but he never presented the cultural side. I don't know where to go with this idea, but it needs to happen.

This is a prerequisite to fixing DPS and our region.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post

We need a city card.
    How would this be proposed, legislatively? Would it have to be done at the state legislature level? Would this be a multi-county referendum? Whom would be the administrators of how the money is collected and diverted? Would it be "one cost"? [[What, if any, accommodations, for lower-income regional residents?) Someone quoted $69.50 monthly for two regional cards. If the cost were $75 per month for one card, is that what could be expected?

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Thought you might be, what with "professor" in your username. Thanks for answering my somewhat creepy question .

New smart limited bus services in January

Quote Originally Posted by xrockerboy View Post
    New smart limited bus services in January

Looks good. 15-30 minutes for "frequent" service is a depressingly low standard, but all-day service with rapid transit-style stop spacing on these corridors is a great addition and foundation to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Looks good. 15-30 minutes for "frequent" service is a depressingly low standard, but all-day service with rapid transit-style stop spacing on these corridors is a great addition and foundation to build on.
    Considering RefleX is about every 45-50 minutes, I'll take 15-30 minutes.

SMART is now pitching it's own regional transit plan.

Which is seperate from Regional Transit Authority of Southeast Michigan. JUST FUCKING CALL YOURSELF DARTA AND CUT THE STUPIDITY!

Give yourself a cumbersome unmemorable name like that and then question why you can't market yourself!?!?

Also the Amazon bid has not inspired Oakland/Patterson or Macomb/Hackel.

They are still just as reluctant to embrace transit as ever.

Is it just me who's starting to take perverse glee in the pain this area experiences?

Every middling to bottom quality of life ranking this state/region receives, knowing it's ALL self inflicted, is beginning to put a smile on my face.

The interim CEO of the Transit Authority quit.

The board is in no hurry to replace her.

Today the RTA pretty much gave up and closed up shop.

At today's board meeting, the interim CEO resigned as did their staff planner, leaving 1 administrative staff person and some consultants. The board has no plans at this time to seek a new CEO.

SMART has taken over their one project: RefleX.
    The RTA appears to have abdicated any leadership role, giving everything into the hands of the Big 4 [[County Execs and Mayor Duggan) to decide if and when we get transit. The public, riders and other stakeholders appear to have no say.
    The RTA is dead for all intents and purposes.

Oh and Royal Oak is looking to create it's own transit system.

Word spreads fast.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    The RTA is dead for all intents and purposes.
    Well, we'll see what happens there, but in the meantime, keep in mind the whole reason for an RTA was to try to gin up some kind of improvement in regional transit. Now, what's happening today? SMART is going to begin providing service along the three major spokes that is much better than the ReFlex service was, especially in terms of frequency, and Royal Oak might start providing service where SMART doesn't [[and, really, can't). If anybody knows how to get a hold of my man Steve Baker in Berkley, why not see if Berkley wants to jump on board the Royal Oak effort?

If the service gets better, then I really don't care too much why that's happening or who's responsible. If the community as a whole someday wants to vote to pay for an actually reasonable amount of transit, then the RTA becomes important as the vehicle by which the funding is managed, Federal money is applied for, collected and distributed, and so on. In the meantime, I'm not sure what their day-to-day function is, or wasa.

A less rosy look at public transit, its costs, and its future:

https://www.cato.org/publications/po...sit-apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A less rosy look at public transit, its costs, and its future:

https://www.cato.org/publications/po...sit-apocalypse
    LOL Yeah this is basically CATO jizzing over driverless cars and buses.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast