Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
Well, Detroit *could* obtain capital funding from the FTA--IF they had a funded regional transit authority with a dedicated source of revenue to support operations. Woodward already has the ridership to justify a light rail line.

I'm not sure what you mean by trains "becoming flexible"--does that mean they can bend in the middle now? I also don't know what kind of technological upgrades can fundamentally overcome the friction and heat inherent in a diesel engine with moving parts, and with rubber tires on pavement. But your faith in science is astounding.

There are dozens of light rail systems in the United States alone--many of them in areas much more thinly-populated than Detroit. There are only 5 bus rapid transit systems, though. So it makes one wonder why on earth a city would spend so much more money to construct light rail if trains and buses are effectively the same, as you claim.
You're overthinking my comments.

Bus & rail are not effectively the same. The differences are shrinking. Diesel not the only motive for busses. Overhead electric or 3rd rail not the only game in rail.

My main love for BRT is investment. Regardless of source, there's a limited amount of cash for investment -- in transportation. If you build BRT, you get more bang for you dollar today -- and of course an increase in operating costs in the future. A perfect trade off for a city with future hopes, but little clout today.

I'd rather see BRT on Fort, Michigan, Grand River, Woodward, Jefferson, than rail on Woodward and one other. And I'm sure you'll say how wrong I am about the relative capital costs of BRT vs. rail... but I think BRT can be done quite cheaply -- and improvements like signal control can come later. I think we need volume of routes more than we need operating efficiency.

Its an opinion. Bless you if you can find a way to fund rail and get it done. I think you'll end up with a great line on Woodward ... and nowhere else.

Meanwhile, the BRT could run all spokes, and even be expanded into the suburbs at minimal costs.