Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bike Lanes...

I knew very many bicyclists who were in accidents in NYC. Most, but not all, were caused by bikers behaving irresponsibly [[often weaving in and out of cars in slow traffic). Motorists need to respect bikers when their paths cross, but at the end of the day, it's not the motorists who get killed. I am in favor of bike lanes where they are feasible, but they are not a cure-all for bike safety.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Nah if you live in Cheboygan, Presque Isle, or Montmorency Counties thats probably just my 75 year old Aunt. I followed her once from her house to my cousins. She was doin' 65-70 down two lane highways. It was all I could do ro keep up with her.
    Back in the day when M59 [[Auburn Road), M150 [[Rochester Road) Dequindre, Romeo Plank, Van Dyke [[north of Utica), and 12 to 26 Mile Roads were two lane blacktops, we used to go 65-70 MPH on them as well. 23 Mile from Van Dyke to North Boulevard had no traffic lights or stop signs and we used to go 65 on it to get from Rochester to Algonac.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    At the very local level people for some reason think that bicyclists should be banned from roads. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad apples among the biking community that spoil it for everyone [[blowing through reds, wrong way on one way streets, insisting on taking full lanes where there are paved shoulders).
    Nah, just have the dedicated bike lanes go through selected neighborhoods with enterprising denizens. That would eliminate problems with bikes [[and their riders)

Check out the new sign on Grand Blvd. at E. Lafayette. I glanced up Grand Blvd. looking north and saw two or three more of these. This is just outside of Bell Isle. Maybe there is anticipation of more bicyclists heading over to the island because they won't be charged a fee.
    -DVD

Name:  New bike sign.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  44.5 KB

[QUOTE=DetroitPlanner;416415]However, the motorist does pay for the streets. Bike have no mechanism to contribute to transportation taxes. QUOTE]

http://www.frontiergroup.org/reports...pay-themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Given our horrible weather and long distances between activity centers, biking will be primarily recreational. More bike lanes are good, but they should be designed for recreational use, not "complete streets" style, slowing traffic and increasing pollution from idling.
    Except Minneapolis:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2...top_honors.php

Because it's the 'real' connectivity that allows people who want to bike to do so on a regular basis:

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featur...ty-minneapolis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2