Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    SD beat Cincinnati today so we'll have to wait.
    I can wait, not all choked up with happiness about him anyway............

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I wasn't aware of that, sorry to hear that. I thought he was a good coach. Maybe the best since Joe Schmidt.
    Monte Clark passed away in 2009.

Whoever the Lions decide to select.....fact known, it will be their last HC job in the NFL, make no mistake Detroit is the last stop. If the new HC doesn't change the losing culture [[many have unsuccessfully attempted over 50+ years), the losing culture will definitely change them regarding a future NFL HC career!

Think about it.....why do you think Dungy said what he said.....who will be the next stiff?

Dungy flew in to Detroit today from Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Whoever the Lions decide to select.....fact known, it will be their last HC job in the NFL, make no mistake Detroit is the last stop. If the new HC doesn't change the losing culture [[many have unsuccessfully attempted over 50+ years), the losing culture will definitely change them regarding a future NFL HC career!

Think about it.....why do you think Dungy said what he said.....who will be the next stiff?
    Do you suggest we close the franchise?

As rough as the past has been, it actually doesn't have bearing on the future. All 3 of our other sports franchises have had rough patches [[pre-Daly Pistons, Red Wings until early 90s, Tigers early 90's through 2005). They do need someone who can come in and change the organization. They need a Chuck Daly or a Scotty Bowman. That is one reason I lean against an OC taking over, unless there is evidence they can change the whole club. The Lions failure is not just a failure to have a perfect offense. The Lions have broken our hearts some years by being terrible, and made it worse in other years by being less than the sum of their parts, just bad enough to not move forward. But as someone who remembers getting family 4-pack of tickets plus hot dogs and cokes to Red Wings games as a kid for a total of $20 [[I doubt you could get the cokes for that now!), or attending Tigers games with more Cleveland Indian fans than our own, I know that it can be turned around. And, to paraphrase the Herb Brooks character in the movie Miracle, we don't need the best coach, we need the right coach.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I would love TD. My only fear about him is that I suspect sometimes when people come out of retirement they might not have their whole heart in it. If it is, I am completely on board, and I hope he takes it. I will have to put off my love affair with Kliff Kingsbury if they hire Dungy, but it will be worth it.

And, if the Lions hire him, who would have thought Detroit would have a white mayor, a black head coach, and a woman in charge at GM? I know, when Hell freezes over. Oh, it's -1 in Hell right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Close; NO
    Sell; YES

Smirnoff, I think there is no chance whatsoever of that happening. It is part of the family's heritage. Even when Sr dies, the younger ones have shown every intention of keeping it in the family.

I think he is just visiting family

Now Mike Munchak is interviewing. Lord knows we don't need another ex-Titans coach.

As rough as the past has been, it actually doesn't have bearing on the future. All 3 of our other sports franchises have had rough patches [[pre-Daly Pistons, Red Wings until early 90s, Tigers early 90's through 2005). They do need someone who can come in and change the organization. They need a Chuck Daly or a Scotty Bowman. That is one reason I lean against an OC taking over, unless there is evidence they can change the whole club. The Lions failure is not just a failure to have a perfect offense. The Lions have broken our hearts some years by being terrible, and made it worse in other years by being less than the sum of their parts, just bad enough to not move forward. But as someone who remembers getting family 4-pack of tickets plus hot dogs and cokes to Red Wings games as a kid for a total of $20 [[I doubt you could get the cokes for that now!), or attending Tigers games with more Cleveland Indian fans than our own, I know that it can be turned around. And, to paraphrase the Herb Brooks character in the movie Miracle, we don't need the best coach, we need the right coach.
    I don't think any other team has had the 57 year "rough patch" that the Lions have had [[with 50 of those years under William Clay Ford's failed ownership).

Has Bill Jr. ever said he is interested in running the team? I don't sense that he's heavily involved, but I'm not hearing any local discussions 1,600 miles away.

Now Mike Munchak is interviewing. Lord knows we don't need another ex-Titans coach.
    Some never learn from their mistakes.....LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I don't think any other team has had the 57 year "rough patch" that the Lions have had [[with 50 of those years under William Clay Ford's failed ownership).

Has Bill Jr. ever said he is interested in running the team? I don't sense that he's heavily involved, but I'm not hearing any local discussions 1,600 miles away.
    Not obtaining a championship isn't an ownership failure. Every single owner but one loses every single season. Sports franchises are entertainment enterprises, not military campaigns. If people enjoy going and watching, then there is at least some success. While we would find it more entertaining if they won more often and went into the post season at least once in a while, enough people enjoy it to sell half a million tickets a year, and get a respectable share of the TV and radio audience. Ownership will have failed when no one cares about the Lions. Our perpetual hope and exasperation [[and this thread) shows that we still care. The Cubs have a huge and loving fan base. They are a success in every respect except a trophy.

Bill Jr is vice-chair of the Lions, second only to his dad in control; in reality his dad is so old and frail that Bill is the day-to-day #1 guy. Bill Ford Jr is educated and rich. If he wasn't interested in the Lions, he would not have any reason to be an active exec with the club. I like having legacy ownership, especially with a family tied to the city. The Fords are going to keep the team here. They moved to the burbs once, and regretted it. They may not have made a winner, but they have not skimped on facilities or staff. If they have one flaw- and it's fixable- it's that they are too slow to let go of people.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; January-07-14 at 07:38 PM.

You can cross Jay Gruden off the list. Redskins hired him to be HC today.

The last team to pick a coach gets to choose from among those the other teams didn't take.

The last team to pick a coach gets to choose from among those the other teams didn't take.
    AKA last call at a singles niteclub.....

AKA last call at a singles niteclub.....
    At least Kliff Kingsbury will still look good in the morning.

I hope it's not Whisenhunt, outside the one SB appearance, his overall record sucks.

I hope it's not Whisenhunt, outside the one SB appearance, his overall record sucks.
    On December 31, 2012 he was fired after 3 straight non-playoff seasons & his record in Arizona was 45[[W) & 51[[L) for a .469% losing percentage. Also in 2012, the Cardinals proceeded to lose 9 straight games and in week 14 were blown out by the Seahawks by 58-0.

On December 31, 2012 he was fired after 3 straight non-playoff seasons & his record in Arizona was 45[[W) & 51[[L) for a .469% losing percentage. Also in 2012, the Cardinals proceeded to lose 9 straight games and in week 14 were blown out by the Seahawks by 58-0.
    My point exactly, thanks for the stats. I don't see the love everyone is showering on this guy. I think better options are available. He's a good OC, maybe that's where he needs to stay. Some coordinators aren't cut out to sit in the "big chair".
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-11-14 at 03:54 PM.

It's lovely to look at stats without bothering to understand what is behind those stats.

It's lovely to look at stats without bothering to understand what is behind those stats.
    What's behind them then? Injuries? Bad game management? or just bad coaching? If that's the case why bother with stats? The bottom line is wins and losses, and he wasn't great on the plus side for his career.

What's behind them then? Injuries? Bad game management? or just bad coaching? If that's the case why bother with stats? The bottom line is wins and losses, and he wasn't great on the plus side for his career.
    the 2008/9 Cardinals lost HALF of their starting roster for 2010, and team management overruled Whisenhunt on both draft picks and trades. you can't blame a builder for building a crappy house when the owner will only pay for toothpicks

the 2008/9 Cardinals lost HALF of their starting roster for 2010, and team management overruled Whisenhunt on both draft picks and trades. you can't blame a builder for building a crappy house when the owner will only pay for toothpicks
    Not understanding that analogy but whatever man.... All these Whisenhunt apologists. Regardless to what happened internally, if he did his job, he probably would still be there..... the stats don't lie.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-12-14 at 04:34 PM.

the stats don't lie.
    No, but they mean nothing without context. Who do YOU think the Lions should go/have gone after? Lovie? You would probably have issues if the Lions got Belichick

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast