Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Does anyone know if there is a statistical analysis of win percentages or championships of first year NFL coaches as broken down by: college coaches/ promoted coordinators/ former NFL coaches returning? It seems like most head coaches were immediately before an OC/DC. Surely there must be stats on the success rates of each category.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    How about Lloyd Carr? He is the last football coach to leave are state with a wining record.
    Why don't we open up the closet and dust off Monte Clark while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You know, that man did win a playoff game. [[only one since 57)

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Heard it this morning on the way to work, sad......so much for being the #1 team for potential coaches quoted by Lions mgt. Just hope we do not wind-up w/another "fast talkin" wannabee w/o proven credentials looking for millions [[like Schwartz), been there/done that many-many times. I have no faith in the front office, they snoozed already & continue.....Schwartz should have been fired when he told the fans during the Giants game; "STFU". We could have interviewed immediately after, now we will get the leftovers, just watch.

I agree, I hope they don't SETTLE for anyone, "especially that Tom Cable guy"

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Sure....if he was still alive.

Jim Caldwell/OC, who the Lions will interview, went 2[[W) & 14[[L) with the Colts in 2011 before he was FIRED.....while coaching in the college ranks, his overall record was 26[[W) & 63[[L), another wannabe looking for a million-dollar[[s) NFL HC gig......

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lio...4-2cb8dd28379d

Dungy says Detroit the most Super Bowl ready....

From what I've been hearing Whisenhunt is still the No 1 target. He can interview with the Lions next week if the Chargers lose to the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    From what I've been hearing Whisenhunt is still the No 1 target. He can interview with the Lions next week if the Chargers lose to the Bengals.
    Also heard his coaching style, like Schwartz, is a "players coach" & not a disciplinarian, this behavior style will Not change the culture [[losing).

We need a coach with Vince Lombardi traits; he led a mediocre team by example and emphasized discipline, fearlessness, confidence, vision and direction, practicality, responsibility, honesty, commitment, power, and integrity!

Players are overpaid way overpaid. I'll coach the Lions for 25K and I'll bet they win at least 8 games..... and no I won't cheat LOL

Also heard his coaching style, like Schwartz, is a "players coach" & not a disciplinarian, this behavior style will Not change the culture [[losing).

We need a coach with Vince Lombardi traits; he led a mediocre team by example and emphasized discipline, fearlessness, confidence, vision and direction, practicality, responsibility, honesty, commitment, power, and integrity!
    Whisenhunt isn't afraid to bench players who don't work in practice. that makes him a disciplinarian. you don't have to be an ass to be a disciplinarian. a Lombardi-style coach would have a revolt on his hands these days.

Ok fellas, we are in big trouble now.....appears they have included part of the problem [[Stafferd) in the new coach interview process. In the "real world", how many problem employees get to interview their new boss......right?

Ok fellas, we are in big trouble now.....appears they have included part of the problem [[Stafferd) in the new coach interview process. In the "real world", how many problem employees get to interview their new boss......right?

Stafford's problem is he doesn't want to be coached. He is adamant about having a QB coach work with him to correct techniques and flaws in his game. Says he never had one and doesn't need one.

Originally Posted by Smirnoff

Stafford's problem is he doesn't want to be coached. He is adamant about having a QB coach work with him to correct techniques and flaws in his game. Says he never had one and doesn't need one.
    Part of the pre-interview homework, and this is telling, is that Caldwell was to review Stafford's passes and come up with ways he could improve

Whisenhunt worries me for 2 reasons. First, his later years at AZ were not successful. And most of those pushing him as the pick are stressing how he can help a QB. While I do agree MS could use better direction, I think the Lions have problems beyond the QB. I would prefer a pick with a demonstrated capacity to take charge of an organization. His head coach record doesn't really show that. To be fair, I have not studied what went wrong in those last 3 years. I hope they make the pick sooner rather than later. I guess if the pick is Jay Gruden it could be this week. If it's Whisenhunt it'll wait until the SD season is over. And the Lions could pick Kliff Kingsbury anytime!

Now hearing Bob Stoops of Oklahoma is interviewing next week.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Whisenhunt worries me for 2 reasons. First, his later years at AZ were not successful. And most of those pushing him as the pick are stressing how he can help a QB. While I do agree MS could use better direction, I think the Lions have problems beyond the QB. I would prefer a pick with a demonstrated capacity to take charge of an organization. His head coach record doesn't really show that. To be fair, I have not studied what went wrong in those last 3 years. I hope they make the pick sooner rather than later. I guess if the pick is Jay Gruden it could be this week. If it's Whisenhunt it'll wait until the SD season is over. And the Lions could pick Kliff Kingsbury anytime!
    SD beat Cincinnati today so we'll have to wait.

The loss might help Gruden, strangely enough. If the Lions want to make an early decision, they can tap him now; Whisenhunt can't really campaign for the job as they go further into the playoffs. If it came down to Whisenhunt or Gruden, I would take Gruden.

Now hearing Bob Stoops of Oklahoma is interviewing next week.
    I wonder why he would pursue an NFL job now? His stock was a little higher after the national championship. Is his contract up at OK?

SD beat Cincinnati today so we'll have to wait.
    I thought they could talk after today's game regardless

I myself would never hire a coach who would take time off of his playoff run to interview for a job for next season. His eyes should be on the current business until their season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I thought they could talk after today's game regardless
    They can have discussions this week between games, but Whisenhunt can't accept the job until after SD either wins the SB or are eliminated from the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    The loss might help Gruden, strangely enough. If the Lions want to make an early decision, they can tap him now; Whisenhunt can't really campaign for the job as they go further into the playoffs. If it came down to Whisenhunt or Gruden, I would take Gruden.
    Gruden is "fat and happy", he's not leaving the broadcast booth.

Gruden is "fat and happy", he's not leaving the broadcast booth.
    Jay Gruden, not Jon Gruden.

Sure....if he was still alive.
    I wasn't aware of that, sorry to hear that. I thought he was a good coach. Maybe the best since Joe Schmidt.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast