Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by grancan View Post
    I had dinner two weeks ago with someone who works in the front office and has for the last five coaches. Schwartz has a poor reputation as a hands-off coach who sits in his office and dictates, doesn't relate to his players at all on their level and only listens to his staff when they agree with his perspective. No one upstairs will be sad to see him go.
    Maybe that's why Mayhew said in the press conference that the next coach has to be a leader

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    Now, it's official...Good bye, Jim Schwartz.
    and he takes the $12,000,000 with him... [[owed to him under his contract) off for a NICE vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Not Whisenhunt, on December 31, 2012 he was fired after 3 straight non-playoff seasons & his record in Arizona was 45[[W) & 51[[L) for a .469% losing percentage. Also in 2012, the Cardinals proceeded to lose 9 straight games and in week 14 were blown out by the Seahawks by 58-0.

Who does he remind you of [[Schwartz)
    Whisenhunt showed what he can do with talent. After going to the Super Bowl, most of the team's best talent left. I think only the Ravens had a bigger exodus of top players after a SB appearance. And the Lions have better talent than the Cardinals did in 2009.

Bring back Bobby "I don't coach that!" Ross.

I do lean towards a young coach, because I think the older candidates [[unless you get a stellar candidate like a Belichick or a Cowher) are generally very stuck in their ways. The Lions have hired mostly safe coaching choices since Wayne Fontes. We don't need a decent longtime oc/dc to take a cautious step up to head coach. We need someone who will think outside the box, shake things up. Someone who can work with but also independent of the front office. And lastly, someone who will lead the players, not make friends with them. They need a drill sergeant, not a dad. An aggressive college coach has a better chance of making great things happen than someone who's turn it is to get a head coaching gig.

I want someone who thinks they will get only one season as a head coach, and to go crazy and do everything possible to go all the way.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; December-31-13 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Bring back Bobby "I don't coach that!" Ross.
    Bobby is 77 years old.

Good riddance to bad sport coach. I hope he could do well coaching high school students.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Bobby is 77 years old.
    I don't care he was the Coleman Young of the Lions! Told it like it was did not care if you liked it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I don't care he was the Coleman Young of the Lions! Told it like it was did not care if you liked it or not.
    He never changed. I have known him since 1957 when he was playing college football. He was a very hard-nosed quarterback.

Hearing now the Lions have interest in Tom Cable, former Raiders HC and current Seahawks assistant.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-tom-cable/

Glad to hear they will interview Lovie Smith......don't need another inexperienced "wannabee" coach [[Schwartz, Marinelli, Morningwig, etc) that verbally over-promises & upon hire under-delivers.

Glad to hear they will interview Lovie Smith......don't need another inexperienced "wannabee" coach [[Schwartz, Marinelli, Morningwig, etc) that verbally over-promises & upon hire under-delivers.
    Exactly. I'm really hoping we have a shot at Lovie.

As much as I like Lovie, he's a defensive oriented coach. Aside from our secondary I think our defense has been relatively solid, bailing us out of many Stafford miscues. I think Tom Cable is the most promising candidate.

Kingsbury! Kingsbury! Kingsbury! Okay, so maybe he's not on the short list... He is very possibly not on the long list. But I will not stop dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    As much as I like Lovie, he's a defensive oriented coach. Aside from our secondary I think our defense has been relatively solid, bailing us out of many Stafford miscues. I think Tom Cable is the most promising candidate.
    Really....17[[W) & 27[[L) at Oakland with a W/L percentage of: .386%

Just another losing wannabee coach: PASS

GUSHI Guest

How about Lloyd Carr? He is the last football coach to leave are state with a wining record.

GUSHI Guest

Lovie in Tampa

GUSHI Guest

How about Mike Shannon, we are so screwd.

Lovie was quoted saying he preferred TB over Detroit, I wonder why?

The Detroit Lions were also interested in Smith, but he preferred the Bucs job. He has previous ties to the organization having served as an assistant under Tony Dungy.

Tampa has to hire a GM before they hire a head coach.....plus, Mayhew & Lovie Smith are former players/friends.

Tampa has to hire a GM before they hire a head coach.....plus, Mayhew & Lovie Smith are former players/friends.
    Smirnoff, the Bucs ALREADY DID hire Lovie Smith.

I hope they hire a top experienced assistant who is hungry for a chance at a head coaching job. Not a retread head coach who a lot of people think SHOULD have been successful [[but never really was) like Lovie Smith [[dodged that bullet), Tom Cable, or Ken Whisenhunt.

Of course, several of my fellow overjoyed Spartan fans have whispered the name Dantonio to me today too...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I hope they hire a top experienced assistant who is hungry for a chance at a head coaching job. Not a retread head coach who a lot of people think SHOULD have been successful [[but never really was) like Lovie Smith [[dodged that bullet), Tom Cable, or Ken Whisenhunt.

Of course, several of my fellow overjoyed Spartan fans have whispered the name Dantonio to me today too...
    Mich St just signed him and his assistants to new deals, so he isn't going anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Smirnoff, the Bucs ALREADY DID hire Lovie Smith.
    Heard it this morning on the way to work, sad......so much for being the #1 team for potential coaches quoted by Lions mgt. Just hope we do not wind-up w/another "fast talkin" wannabee w/o proven credentials looking for millions [[like Schwartz), been there/done that many-many times. I have no faith in the front office, they snoozed already & continue.....Schwartz should have been fired when he told the fans during the Giants game; "STFU". We could have interviewed immediately after, now we will get the leftovers, just watch.

I wonder if Vegas is offering odds on who the Lions hire. Even money on Whisenhunt.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast