Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    “Like a good for nothing cock, without having won the victory, he walks away and crows." -Socrates
    Pure cut and paste, again. remember what you said:

Look at me! I can cut and paste! Wheeee! Maybe people will think I'm smart!
    You know, I don't think that there's much of a chance of that happening, but some people may be swayed easily. Probably why you hang out here, I guess.

Then there's always THIS priceless quote:

Well, there's copying and pasting, and then there's quoting something, offering context, insight and a link to the original article. As to which is more scholarly ...
    Which further serves to illustrate the fact that you do not follow your own pathetic advice.
    Link to the quote:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=GfM...crates&f=false

Now, for the insight:
    This is a fictional conversation. It's very appropriate that you've chosen to use this, I think.

OK, this thread has degenerated into annoyingness, time for it to close up

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    2) Buy when there's blood in the streets. [[an old Rothschild axiom)

Or that ole Mr Potter! http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...ievillains/20/

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What happened to austerity? Oh, right, I forgot. When you're a billionaire, the broke-ass City of Detroit is always Father Christmas. Want to buy buildings? No problem! You'll never have to pay taxes again! Even when we go bankrupt! Just go ahead an move in, Master Gilbert! We're sure whatever jobs you shuffle from one part of the region to another will make up at least some of the money you don't have to pay to locate there. And our generous city residents will make up the difference.

In the meanwhile, maybe Santa can send some for-hire economist to make up theories about how making sure Gilbert doesn't have to pay property taxes means that our economy will take off, and we'll all be rich?
    I'm not sure where people get the idea that Gilbert is not paying property taxes on his buildings. This accusation came up recently at an event at WSU.

Fielding questions from the audience, Gilbert denied the perception that his many buildings do not pay property taxes. He said aside from a few existing abatements on buildings that he acquired, “the vast majority of our buildings don’t have any tax breaks, zero.”
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013102...icken-downtown

As far as I can tell, the only tax break that has been given to Gilbert is the 15 year RZ tax credit that would apply to a future development on the Hudson site.

Gilbert has so far focused on buying and renovating office space, though he cited the need for more residential space downtown. He noted the possibility of developing residential property on the old Hudson's Department Store site, for which he just secured a 15-year Renaissance Zone tax credit from the city.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1241647.html

As far as the other 40 or so buildings that he owns in the city, there have been no new tax credits given to him by the city that i have heard of or that I can find any record or evidence of.

Unless the people accusing Gilbert of paying no property taxes, or receiving a slew of new tax breaks have some actual evidence of this happening, then they are just spewing made-up lies based upon nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I'm not sure where people get the idea that Gilbert is not paying property taxes on his buildings.
    Yes. Thank you. There are many of us wondering this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3