Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
Austin has only one interstate running through town not only one freeway. There are many freeways and toll ways that are up to interstate standards, but they can't keep up with the growth. Austin's traffic is often nightmarish because the population has been increasing by about 5,000-6,000 a month. Austin is model city for just about everything except anything related to transportation.

Based on my last few visits back to Michigan I would say any money available for roads should go for maintenance over capacity. Some of the freeways are in horrible condition.
Please don't bring facts to this discussion.

So Austin is building freeways AND considering smarter mass transit? Good for them.

Does anyone else think that this DY is debating the difference between horse drawn trolley and steam powered busses?

I don't know what will be next in transportation, but I'll bet its gonna change. Into what? I don't know. But the idea that transit is either gas-powered cars or 12-car trains is going to be the past sometime really soon.

Google cars work. Ford's talking about adaptive cruise control as a reality in next few years. Much light rail is now driverless a la People Mover. There will be new modes of personal and mass transit coming at us made by 3D printers made by engineers from gay Iranians before you know it.