Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Huh? Non-Sequitur?
    Was response to EastsideAl: "The answer to all 3 is the same: no one with money or in power gives a crap about working people."

Occasionally, I have to respond to these kind of class warfare attacks on people with money. Granted, many may be horses asses -- but the generalization is simply untrue. There are also countless moneyless horses asses, too.

You'll note in that NPR article that "Now the storied franchise of Hank Aaron is leaving Turner Field in downtown Atlanta for neighboring Cobb County."

I think having sports downtown has been a success. Unfortunately it has a cost. It shouldn't. Tax breaks need to be banned. But they're not. So until they are, I'm in favor of giving money to billionaires to keep sports teams downtown. [[It pains me to say that -- but sometimes you have to eat your principles in favor of practical realities.)

Ok Wes. Should tax breaks come with a ROI? The kind that includes partial ownership of said Franchise?

Refering to the OP's first question, should the Detroit pension retirees get a piece off the action?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Ok Wes. Should tax breaks come with a ROI? The kind that includes partial ownership of said Franchise?

Refering to the OP's first question, should the Detroit pension retirees get a piece off the action?
    Dan, nobody should get anything. no tax breaks. no givvernment ROI. No piece of the action for retirees.

Tax breaks is a game rigged in favor of estanlished, big business. It is not governments role to dispense favors.

[[But if being dispensed, Detroit should get be included.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Because someone else is get 6/5's of the $100,000. Do you think its fair that there are pensions over $100,000 for government workers?
    What's up with this, how you say,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    class warfare attacks on people with money.
    ??

What's fairness got to do with it? You must just be jealous of their success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    How come I'm only getting 1/5th of those 100k pensions? At least, I was........
    Because you moved out of the city and helped erode the tax base along with others who moved out?

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    3. If Michigan is so strapped for cash, why is Gov. Snyder almost doubling the salaries of his top officials?
    The State of Michigan had a budget SURPLUS last year.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The State of Michigan had a budget SURPLUS last year.
    That the republican governor thinks should be used to increase the pay of already overpaid constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    That the republican governor thinks should be used to increase the pay of already overpaid constituents.
    Really? He's using the entire surplus to increase the pay of top officials? Link please?

As far as I'm aware, he increased the pay of three officials who oversee the state's $70 billion pubic investments. Three. Does that seem prudent given the economic climate? Not really. But is Detroit of all places going to throw stones in this regard? How many Detroit officials have given themselves extravagant compensation and perks at the city taxpayer's expense? How many have openly stolen from the city? That's not the exception in Detroit either, that's been the RULE for decades.

But hey, Snyder gave three people a big pay raise. Using DYes logic, he's worse than Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Really? He's using the entire surplus to increase the pay of top officials? Link please?

As far as I'm aware, he increased the pay of three officials who oversee the state's $70 billion pubic investments. Three. Does that seem prudent given the economic climate? Not really. But is Detroit of all places going to throw stones in this regard? How many Detroit officials have given themselves extravagant compensation and perks at the city taxpayer's expense? How many have openly stolen from the city? That's not the exception in Detroit either, that's been the RULE for decades.

But hey, Snyder gave three people a big pay raise. Using DYes logic, he's worse than Hitler.
    You can defend him all you want. And what happened with Detroit isn't the issue. We all know about the corruption. Snyder has his share of warts and his rhetoric about being accountable aren't universally accepted when he doesn't practice what he preaches.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-22-13 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Because you moved out of the city and helped erode the tax base along with others who moved out?
    I retired in 1984. My mother and step-father [[since deceased) lived in Nevada. My two brothers and their families both lived in Nevada. My sister lived in nearby California; one aunt lived in Arizona and the other in Washington. My son lived in Nevada [[the other back in Westland). So, yeah, I really am a horse's ass for moving from Michigan on retirement.

Few are saddened as I to see what has happened to Detroit. For those who hold me responsible for it, you may gently kma.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    For most of my life, I was a Detroiter. Lived inside the city limits. Had a generally favorable view of the residency requirement for police/fire/city workers. Its good have employees who have an investment in the city.

I've changed my mind on this. Yes, it does happen.

Why?

First, city crime affected my family.

Second, reading the court decision -- well at least a summary.

What the court rules was that it wasn't reasonable to restrict freedom of movement, just to keep your job. For many people, staying in the city wouldn't be a problem. But suppose you marry someone who's required to live in Oakland Country for their job. What do you do? Lie? Or say your mother becomes ill. She lives in Wayne. Do you quit your job as a firefighter because you need to move closer to her?

Its easy to think of reasons why a residence requirement can be an unfair burden. It was nice having 'Copper Canyon'. But its better having freedom to make your life decisions based on your life goals, not a rule that provides a 'feel good' benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I retired in 1984. My mother and step-father [[since deceased) lived in Nevada. My two brothers and their families both lived in Nevada. My sister lived in nearby California; one aunt lived in Arizona and the other in Washington. My son lived in Nevada [[the other back in Westland). So, yeah, I really am a horse's ass for moving from Michigan on retirement.

Few are saddened as I to see what has happened to Detroit. For those who hold me responsible for it, you may gently kma.
    I don't blame you one iota for moving Ray. I'm sure if most people get the opportunity they would do the same. It's getting harder and more expensive to live here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2