Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Downtown-Midtown Gap

I'm curious about how we got such a big gap of buildings between Downtown and Midtown. As a boy, I recall the Motown Records building at Woodward and 75, and its neighbor to the north, both of which met their doom so we could impress Superbowl visitors in 2006, I seem to recall. But what happened to everything else? I see from PlacePromo that there was a 10 story building at 2539 Woodward - when did that come down, and when did its neighbors come down? Were they intentionally demolished, or was it a case of gradually taking away buildings by demo and fire, until suddenly there was nothing left but Ilitch-owned parking lots? Your comments on this matter are appreciated!

Many of those buildings, like to Donovan Building [[former Motown HQ), were torn down in late 2005 or early 2006 in the run-up to the Super Bowl at Ford Field. They didn't want Detroit to look like a city full of vacant buildings to the national media, so it was thought better to have it look like a city full of empty surface parking lots.

Of course, much of that land was given over to Ilitch to run as parking lots, and now apparently will be the site of his new hockey arena.

The 8-story Seville Motel a block north of the Masonic Temple on 2nd was sucked straight into the bowels of hell in the late-80s or early-90s. Somebody once claimed to see a vortex or something...

...but it was an amazing structure, ran the whole width of the block...back to the alleyway.

Many of the buildings in the Brush Park area that were converted to seniors apartments were taken down in the late 1980's.

converted and THEN demolished?? Must have sucked for the Seniors!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The 8-story Seville Motel a block north of the Masonic Temple on 2nd was sucked straight into the bowels of hell in the late-80s or early-90s. Somebody once claimed to see a vortex or something...

...but it was an amazing structure, ran the whole width of the block...back to the alleyway.
    Apropos of another thread currently on this board, the Seville was once home to the classiest of the "New Chinatown" restaurants, Henry Yee's Forbidden City. The place was all dark wood and fabric "oriental" exoticism on the inside, with big fruity drinks served in various novelty vessels.

Years later, it became a partially abandoned nest of drug dealers and users of all sorts, best exemplified by the graffiti that appeared for a short while on the south side of the building: "if you need a pill, go to the Seville".

I believe it stood as an increasingly hideous vacant husk until about 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

you mean the Seville Hotel, I assume, which Gilda Radner's dad ran?

Does anybody have any pictures of the Seville Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Of course, much of that land was given over to Ilitch to run as parking lots, and now apparently will be the site of his new hockey arena.
    Illitch has done good in terms of employing people, but he's done nothing for or with real estate. He's more than happy to buy land and let it be a surface lot for eternity.

Gilbert on the other hand buys buildings, renovates them, and packs in jobs onto every floor. Gilbert needed more parking, so what does he do? He turns two surface lots into a 10 level parking garage with first floor retail.

I'm hoping the new arena will have Woodward-facing shops and I hope they'll go for the street wall effect. It will certainly do a lot to repair the gap. Hopefully we'll see a lot of businesses grow around the arena.

This is where the "freeway cap" would work well to allow storefronts to be on Woodward over I-75. It doesn't have to be a huge tunnel, just enough to carry on the street wall.

When I started this thread, I was secretly hoping that someone had more info on the quasi-skyscraper at 2539 Woodward, including pictures of that building and the surrounding area. Can any forum readers comment to that effect?

Thanks,

Does anyone have pictures of the Seville Hotel? I googled it, only one pic where it is partially demolished already.

Not a picture but how about an image.

Name:  seville.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  49.5 KB

1953, I believe you're referring to the old Hoffman Building at Woodward and Sibley.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1380/1...f96_z.jpg?zz=1

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Not a picture but how about an image.

Name:  seville.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  49.5 KB
    Love the "Fireproof" statement

I can also remember a Red Barn and a White Castle just N of the Donavan Building and its nearby Burlesk House.

Yes, thanks. It is the Hoffman Building. I have been able to find the postcard of it on many sites, but no photos. I am dying to see it in context.