Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just got a private message from a reader with some fond memories of our egg rolls and our waiter, Paul. Just thought I would bump up the thread.

Default Detroit chinatown history

Quote Originally Posted by Chungs View Post
    Just got a private message from a reader with some fond memories of our egg rolls and our waiter, Paul. Just thought I would bump up the thread.
    Check this site out for Detroit's Chinatown history ENJOY

http://www.detroitchinatown.org/history/

My wife died last year from cancer. She loved Chungs. While she was undergoing all her treatments she would make me drive from Hamtramck to Waterford, past, dozens of Chinese restaurants in order to get food from Chungs. Her parents had taken her to Chungs in Detroit many times as a child. They would get dressed up and go. It was a special occasion. As a picky 6 year old girl, she would only eat the chicken soup, but one day her Dad got her to nibble on an egg roll and then it was all over. Sixteen years ago, I used to take her to the Chungs while we were dating, and afterwards when we were married. She was very sad when the Detroit location closed. And then we discovered the Waterford location, unfortunately after it had already passed from the Chung family [[although we did not know that), and we burned a lot of gas getting there.

I'm sure I could still dig out an old takeout menu from the Detroit location.

Thank you Chungs for the memories and happiness.
    Last edited by RickBeall; August-06-14 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    My wife died last year from cancer. She loved Chungs. While she was undergoing all her treatments she would make me drive from Hamtramck to Waterford, past, dozens of Chinese restaurants in order to get food from Chungs. Her parents had taken her to Chungs in Detroit many times as a child. They would get dressed up and go. It was a special occasion. As a picky 6 year old girl, she would only eat the chicken soup, but one day her Dad got her to nibble on an egg roll and then it was all over. Sixteen years ago, I used to take her to the Chungs while we were dating, and afterwards when we were married. She was very sad when the Detroit location closed. And then we discovered the Waterford location, unfortunately after it had already passed from the Chung family [[although we did not know that), and we burned a lot of gas getting there.

Hey RickBeal, Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope things are coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post

Like Honky Tonk said, my sincere condolences but it's nice to know a place such as Chung's can bring a little joy to someone like your wife. Cherish those thoughts; they're damn good ones.

Hi, Honky Tonk. Sorry to hear about your loss. My family were the original owners of Chung's and we loved our customers. It was my parents favorite part of running the place. I'm so glad that we could bring your wife so much joy in her life.

Hi, Honky Tonk. Sorry to hear about your loss. My family were the original owners of Chung's and we loved our customers. It was my parents favorite part of running the place. I'm so glad that we could bring your wife so much joy in her life.
    Chungs, your condolences were sincere, but it wasn't me who lost their wife, but another poster named RickBeal. I'm sure he appreciates your message.

Ah, yes, sorry. My condolences, RickBeal.

Thanks everyone.

Name:  IMG_20140915_130158.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  68.3 KB
    The block that Chung's was located in needs some love

I really don't think Detroit ever had a "vibrant" gay and lesbian community. But I remember there being a bar in Chinatown or near Chinatown that showcased drag queens performing. I was in it once while going to Wayne State. There were mostly straight couples watching the performers. I can't remember the name of the place--Famous Door comes to mind but I am probably wrong.
    Anyway I remember Chungs well---great food---loved the place.

This image is taken from the old Chungs site.
    Name:  20141009_100211-1.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  52.5 KB

The Gold Dollar was the name of the bar that had the drag queen shows. It was later bought by Neil Yee who made it a rock 'n roll bar that is remembered very fondly today. The White Stripes played there.

And on topic, I did indeed find my old Chungs takeout menu the other day when I was looking for pizza.

Hey JJW, there were a lot of LGBT owned businesses in/near Chinatown. Hey, Rick, don't throw away that menu! Save it!

3.) Any memories of how the neighborhood, in general, changed over time, particularly in the 70's and 80's? I remember a vibrant gay and lesbian community that was in the area, too [[Gold Dollar Bar, Birdtown Petshop, etc.)
    The Bird Town Pet Shop was destroyed by fire in August 1985 [[DFP 8-21-85, p. 3-A). As a previous post here notes, its former owners later operated Showcase Collectibles down the block.

A couple of the female impersonators that performed at the Gold Dollar in the 1960s told me when I interviewed them that they often went to Chung's as a group after their shows. Whether they were still in costume, they did not say.
    Last edited by timzloff; October-18-14 at 10:35 PM.

Chung's was always a staple for the employees of Yee's tenure at the Gold Dollar [[sadly, because of my food intolerances, I couldn't enjoy the food). All across from that chop-shop-er, I mean, foreign Auto Body Shop. I do wish someone would breathe some life into the Birdtown-especially, Chung's and Gold Dollar.

That whole area will be hot soon enough.

The building across from Chung’s, on Peterboro – which housed several businesses – seems to be undergoing some changes. I’ve noticed roofers working for several weeks, and now I see the inside of the entire building has been opened up for some type of project. There is a sign on the side of the building that faces Cass that gives credit to the construction company responsible for the work. I was wondering if anyone had any news or information.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    The building across from Chung’s, on Peterboro – which housed several businesses – seems to be undergoing some changes. I’ve noticed roofers working for several weeks, and now I see the inside of the entire building has been opened up for some type of project. There is a sign on the side of the building that faces Cass that gives credit to the construction company responsible for the work. I was wondering if anyone had any news or information.
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...eautifully.php

The corner building where Birdtown used to be is being gentrified until the giant tattoo palor, disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Thank you for the link, interesting article and w/ pic's to boot.

Hi Curtis, I hope this Thread is still alive. It really brought back a lot of memories when I read it. My folks and I ate at Chung's at least twice a month thru the 60's and 70's. From the time I was probably 3 years old until I went into the Navy at 20. It was our Favorite place! I can close my eyes and still see that Dining Room. The big Lanterns with the Red Tassels. The Red Linen Table Cloths and Napkins. The Big Windows that faced Cass. Those Big Red Doors leading into the Best Restaraunt in the City as far as I was concerned. [[I took my Wife there on our First Date in 76). I remember the Bathrooms were Downstairs. But most of all I remember the Great Food and the Staff. I remember your Dad well. Phil was a Class act! And I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I also remember your aunt. If my memory serves me, her name was Grace. The Waiters Paul Lee, and Ham with their White Jackets. Ham was like a Friend to me as a Little Kid Dining out with my Parents. Always had a Big Smile and taught me how to use Chop Sticks. He took me on a Tour of the Kitchen once... I think I was 6 or 7. My Sister actually Dated Paul's Son Jimmy for a little while in the late 60's. I remember when I was real little, my Dad would let me go up and Pay the Bill when we were done, and your Dad would always reach into that Glass Case by the Register and give me a Pack of Juicy Fruit Gum for being a Good Boy.
    Those Egg Rolls have carved out a Nitch into my memory, along with the Chicken Rice Soup, and the Shrimp with Lobster Sauce that was my Favorite. My Dad loved the Lobster Cantonese, and my Mom would always try new things. The meals would always come in those big Shiny Dishes with the Lids. True Class all the way!
    So sad that it's all gone now... I hope you and your Family are well.
    All the Best, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The Original Detroit's Chinatown was at 3rd street from W. Fort St to Plum St since the 1850s to 1960s. The Chins, Chungs and Moy families came to Detroit from Chicago to make their presence known. The Detroit Housing Commission [[which was mostly white Detroit city workers at the time) want to put a Lodge FWY in the area. They told the Chinese to pack up their things and vacant the area. The DHC relocated them to Cass Corridor area on Cass St. and Peterboro St. thus the 2nd Chinatown was made. By the 1980s Detroit's Chinatown began to slowly died out due to these problems:

1. Fewer Chinese immigrants was came to Cass Corridor area to apply for Wayne State University spoke Mandarin. The Chins, Chungs and Moy families only speak Cantonese There are no Chinese cultural or social services center to relieve language issues.

2. The crack epidemic spread like wildfire from Brush Park to Cass Corridor area and it worried them.

3. The death of Vincent Chin [[ in Highland Park, MI.) was the last straw and started to pack their bags and leave Detroit. The Chinese move into suburban areas from Canton, TWP to Troy, MI. Most of them move to Madison Hieghts, MI. and set up shop along John R. Rd. from 11 Mile to 14 Mile Rd. An Asian-town like Chinatown was sprouting in those areas.

Today there are only a handful of Chinese families live in Cass Corridor area. The growth is slow. If Detroit gets plenty of regional base and reduce violent crime, then more Chinese or Asian families can move to Detroit not only to set up shop, but to stay.

I have received information for Dorothy Moy-Matsumoto. She is your cousin. Her father used to own a toy shop on Third St near Michigan Ave. called " Hoy Toy".

Default Detroit's Chinatown

Hi all,

Wow, what a great thread! I have a few childhood memories of chinatown. As one of Henry Yee's granddaughters, I have been told many stories about my grandfather's restaurants and his involvement with the city. Does anyone recall him or his endeavors?

Thanks!
    Name:  FC1.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  49.3 KBName:  FC.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  108.1 KB

Hey JJW, there were a lot of LGBT owned businesses in/near Chinatown. Hey, Rick, don't throw away that menu! Save it!

I have received information for Dorothy Moy-Matsumoto. She is your cousin. Her father used to own a toy shop on Third St near Michigan Ave. called " Hoy Toy".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast