Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New era potato chips? Yes, i am shouting!

I went into 7-11 on the way home today to grab a little bag of chips to go with my dinner. I had hardly started browsing the delectable delights, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bag with a silhouette lady, labeled NEW ERA! They are from BetterMade.

The bag itself was enough to justify the purchase, even though it only has the one lady silhouette. The kid behind the counter was mystified by my delight with the label, guess I don't blame him, but I am sure there will be a lot of old folks grabbing those bags.

I am now enjoying the tasty treats and I am convinced they are a little bit different from regular BetterMade. Very tasty, in any event.

Name:  new era.jpg
Views: 19976
Size:  36.8 KB

What? We aren't allowed to shout? Well, sorry about that!

Those are still around? They used to be made by Dancley or something like that and were advertised as "alkali"

We have an old large tin touting them as"Scientifically Processed". Nonetheless, remember them from my youth and will look forward to seeing them on my local store's shelf. Will read up on further claims when I get downstairs.

New Era potato chips were always my favorite and I was disappointed when Frito-Lay bought them out, although their graphics seemed quite similar to New Era's. The company actually bought only certain Michigan-grown potatoes for a consistent taste and quality, according to a Detroit News article circa 1965. There were several local or regional brands then: New Era, Better Made [[which had a shop on W. Vernor), Vita Boy [[whose very greasiness I loved as a kid) and Superior [[with its hokey commercials touting their "po-tah-to" chips). I'll buy them just for memories - when I stock up on Sanders Burbanet chocolates, Vernors, and that elusive hybrid, Sanders Vernors ice cream. Not to mention Mallow-Cups and Goo-Goo Clusters.
    Last edited by A2Mike; December-10-13 at 06:50 PM.

You have made my night.......... I'm getting up early and going to find those puppies..........hey watch the "old folks" stuff LOL

Superior used to come in a green bag at the Michigan Theater that was heavily waxed so as not to make crinkle noises while the movie was in progress. They were probably sold at other theaters too, but I remember them especially at the Michigan that was my favorite.

I remember the farm silos painted like New Era cans. The Michigan answer to "See Rock City" barns......

They sell them at western market in Ferndale.

I have a Superior tin in my closet.

I have skeletons in my closet.

Are there skeletons on the top of your bookshelf? That's where my New Era tin is. I'm planning on a spot for it in my new basement bar, along with a few other advertising art lovelies.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-11-13 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Superior used to come in a green bag at the Michigan Theater that was heavily waxed so as not to make crinkle noises while the movie was in progress. They were probably sold at other theaters too, but I remember them especially at the Michigan that was my favorite.
    I had forgotten those "noiseless" bags at the Michigan. In my teens I liked going to the matinees and getting popcorn for the first feature and saving the chips for the second. Teenage piggy delight.
    Of course it was easy to forget those chips because the Michigan itself was overwhelming in its grandeur. The Fox was so over-the-top that it was fun, but the Michigan had a truly palatial feeling. At least the chips are easier to reproduce than the sadly departed Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    All mine are inferior......

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    All the other nuns must miss her

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    All the other nuns must miss her
    Nice..........

I love this. I'd forgotten about the painted silos; I think there was at least one just north of Mt. Clemens on Gratiot. I paid actual money - maybe $3.00 - at an antique store for a New Era tin a while back. It promotes the chips as esily digested, and "on the alkaline side." As a kid reading those ads, that reminded me of the Tigers for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I love this. I'd forgotten about the painted silos; I think there was at least one just north of Mt. Clemens on Gratiot. I paid actual money - maybe $3.00 - at an antique store for a New Era tin a while back. It promotes the chips as esily digested, and "on the alkaline side." As a kid reading those ads, that reminded me of the Tigers for some reason.
    You hit it out of the park with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Those are still around? They used to be made by Dancley or something like that and were advertised as "alkali"
    My grandparents made, sort of, the mistake of investing their money in building a nice "spec" house in 1929 in time for the crash. it was one of the first homes on the street. To make ends meet, they moved back into their old flat and rented out the new house to Nicolai Dancey. I think that was their only option. He was from down south. He started making potato chips in the basement and moved employees in. They rotated working in the basement in shifts and sleeping in the beds. That was the beginning of New Era. As New Era expanded, it moved into a new facility on Shoemaker which, I think, later became Wolverine Potato Chips. I think Lay's eventually bought up New Era and sold Lay's.

My grandmother said she spent a lot of time removing thick grease from all the walls and ceilings of the house but was grateful that Mr. Dancy always paid his rent on time. It helped get the family through the depression. I have made contact with a grandson of Mr. Dancy now living in Florida to tell him this part of his family story. I grew up my first years living upstairs in that English Village neighborhood house.
    Last edited by oladub; December-11-13 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    Hehehe... you really need to ask why it reminded you of the Tigers....

Alkaline = Al Kaline

We need noiseless movie goers these days.......hey with Faygo, New Era Chips, Sanders Cakes and Vernors how did I grow up so good lookin and healthy?

Great story, oladub!

the better made outlet store does not have them, at least yesterday when i called them.

checked a few 7-11s , no dice.
    none in any supermarkets either.

id drive to ferndale if the weather wasnt so terrible.

These threads always make me laugh. I am in no way a collector but love old tins.The New Era tin is by far the largest but my favorite tin on show in my kitchen is a Saunders tin.

Planned on attending church at our Eastern market area historic church but guess they forgot to inform us that church was canceled [[snow day) so we moseyed over to the Russel Street fair.

As God is my witness, did I feel old! "Vintage" stuff they were selling existed and still some exists in our home. Sigh!

The Detroit Television history documentary currently airing on WTVS has a complete musical New Era commercial from 1951.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    The Detroit Television history documentary currently airing on WTVS has a complete musical New Era commercial from 1951.
    Ed - excellent job on the documentary, I know the vintage footage is very hard to locate. I have watched the recent documentary several times.....any plans for additional Detroit Television history programs in the near future?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast