Something needs to be done with these expressways. The Ford is outdated and poorly designed which is what leads to the traffic backups that have hammered that expressway for years. The left lane exits and on ramps need to go and should have never been built like that in the first place. The Ford has always lacked lanes, three lanes in each direction with the volumes of traffic it sees isn't enough and the thought of making it boulevard is just going to make things even worse. Expressways are widened all the time and it will not be the end of Detroit just because an expressway is getting widened.

I don't think this can be undone but I-75 should have never been built so close to downtown. Coming in from the north it should leave it's current allignment at the Ford, follow the Ford west to the Jeffries and the Jeffries south towards the Ambassador Bridge. So coming in from the south you'd follow the Jeffries up to the Ford and then east back to I-75's current allignment. The Lodge south of Grand Boulevard however should be a boulevard which would eliminate the Lodge/Ford interchange, taking I-75 out between the Jeffries and Ford would eliminate a few more of those massive interchanges as well as that stupid 25 mph curve it takes where it transitions between the Chrysler and Fisher Freeways.

Just think about the gaps that would be filled in though, Eastern Market would be better connected to Midtown and Downtown and Woodbridge would be better connected to Midtown. If the Ford was a tunnel between Brush and Third then you would have New Center and Midtown connected. I can't stand the massive amounts of wasteland these expressways create but widening the Ford is kind of a priority, if it could be done and then remove the Lodge south of Grand Blvd. and I-75 between the Jeffries and Ford it would make things awhole lot better I believe.

Detroit is a big city, it was built to be a big city and should function like a big city but it doesn't. These neighborhoods should be reconnected so they function properly.