Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

That Great Guy Guest

Default Rosa Parks said NO 58 years ago today

Soon, we will be voting on the SMART millage and possibly an RTA car registration fee to help pay and coordinate SMART and DDOT public bus systems. Should we all say NO to more cuts in funding from the tax on State fuel collected by the Michigan Department of Transportation to pay for DDOT and SMART operating and grant money? Or, should we demand in writing that there be no more cuts first before we decide to vote YES?

As a SMART bus rider, I have no problem paying $225 per year instead of $60 for the property tax and then again for the RTA. But, what about the single woman with 2 children who works in the fast food industry? DetroitYES people, a wage of $15 per hour is not very greedy for an average worker anymore, in my opinion. But asking for more transportation tax money without increasing public bus ridership, attracting good jobs, protecting city pensions and helping Detroit is indeed greedy, in my opinion.

So, what are all your thoughts of honoring Rosa Parks by protecting our bus money and service? How many more Livonia's do we need? How many more service reductions? How many more job losses? It is time to write to our leaders now before next August 2014 and before next November 2014 when the RTA tax is planned to be on the ballot. Or, maybe that extra $100 Million per year is not really needed? What will we do if it is not in writing to get Federal and State grants to replace old buses? What will people do if they have to pay a transit tax first before they pay for food or health insurance and there is just not enough money to do so?

I-94 should not be widened without first protecting bus service and funding. Your many letters are again needed and the widening of roads and slashing of bus service is concrete proof of this.

Your thoughts please?
    Last edited by That Great Guy; December-01-13 at 07:59 PM.