Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greekt0wn View Post
    I guess all of us pretending everything is terrific is more constructive? Pretty sure Detroit was just called Chernobyl during a 1hr show on CNN.
    There is a pretty big difference between [[a) "pretending everything is terrific" and [[b) simply being able to appreciate that each piece of reinvestment and redevelopment in Detroit is a good thing and has a cumulative effect. If you have to downplay and dismiss every bit of good news, you really have a sad and bitter approach to things.

You might like Chernobyl better.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; November-25-13 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Wonderful news. I know we'll see something excellent produced from SHoP. About damn time we see good new architecture arrive in Detroit.
    the only thing I've seen from them that I liked was Barclay Center. The rest of it left a big nothing

I'd hope this development is mostly residential, because downtown really needs Merchant's Row to take off. In fact, I find it kinda interesting that Second and Third Avenues in Midtown are showing way more life than Merchant's Row. We can't get a used record store in there or anything? Maybe a mini-John K. King?

Detroit's CBD has long suffered from the same problems I've seen in the financial centers of Chicago and Brooklyn - there are so many gosh darn tall office buildings that just about all other life is effectively squeezed out. The abandonment downtown has given the city a chance to adopt a more mixed use approach, and hopefully this project will be another step in the right direction.

Skyscraper offices might pretty up the skyline, but otherwise, I can't think of many ways in which the average person's life is enhanced. All but the biggest companies usually only need a couple of floors at most.
    Last edited by nain rouge; November-25-13 at 11:46 PM.

If Dan Gilbert wants a building above 18-20 stories, the existing beams could be replaced to accommodate such a structure.
    I'd like it to be a real skyscraper that will impact the skyline for the world to literally see the progress going on in Detroit.
    I hope it is designed with outdoor stores with interior walkways like the Compuware Building. I also hope it is a primarily residential building and hotel combo.

Quote Originally Posted by I <3 DET
    I'd like it to be a real skyscraper that will impact the skyline for the world to literally see the progress going on in Detroit.

To quote Chief Keef, "that's that **** I don't like." You know what city tries to build ridiculously showy skyscrapers while the populace suffers?
    Pyongyang. It's of course important to have a functioning, vibrant downtown, but we don't need the Renaissance Center Pt. II just yet.

If we really want to grand projects to uplift the city, we need a new police force and new law enforcement infrastructure, and also - if you could - a bunch of unskilled labor positions. What's a giant skyscraper gonna do when a more modest, appropriately scaled building could fill the space?
    Last edited by nain rouge; November-26-13 at 12:01 AM.

I agree that new police, firefighter, streetlights, etc. are the cities most important infrastructure. But those are funded by taxes, grants or donations. This new Hudson block building will be a private investment with maybe a few tax incentives.

If Dan Gilbert actually stated
    "it is our vision to see this new development serve as the new center of downtown Detroit for decades to come."
    he may want this building to be a mega project.

And if he also wrote
    "In its day this was the epicenter of downtown Detroit. Over 2.1 million square feet of shopping. To give you some perspective, The Somerset Collection in Troy is under 1.5 million square feet and that includes thecombined north and south sides of that world-class regional shopping mall. Hudson’s was where the action, hustle and bustle of a thriving major American downtown was at its highest. I am told that the energy level and excitement of ‘going downtown’ was electric and infectious when you got anywhere around or near this 2.1 acre rectangular city block site, especially during the holiday season."
    he is making such a big deal to the size of the old Hudson Building, I wonder if the size of the proposed building is going to be quite large.

Perhaps that would fit the bill?

^^^^^^^
    The sad fact is that it took 25 years for that building to be completed, and it's STILL made more progress than MCS.....

Woo! It only took 15 years for the Hudson's demolition to "unleash new opportunities" on a prime site in downtown Detroit.

Now, if the architects can produce more than a shitty glass box cartoon, I'll be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    the only thing I've seen from them that I liked was Barclay Center. The rest of it left a big nothing
    well i'll remain neutral until renderings surface, SHoP does not have the greatest reputation in NYC these days. their work is often fingered as 1970's out of date blaise

funny, curbed has identified Bjarke Ingels Group was shortlisted
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...in-detroit.php
    he would've been my first choice

The one called "Supertall Mixed Use" in location "confidential" that doesn't open a larger image might prove their choice.

Curious it has what appears to be the top floors of the RenCen in the rendering background.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The one called "Supertall Mixed Use" in location "confidential" that doesn't open a larger image might prove their choice.

Curious it has what appears to be the top floors of the RenCen in the rendering background.

That building is 225 W. 57th in Manhattan. They were ultimately not selected as architect, and Smith + Gill is designing the new tower.

Wait, SHoP?! I was on their site! I wondered what that was.... do you think? What on earth is Detroit going to do with a supertall?

Either way this is great news, they do great work.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    well i'll remain neutral until renderings surface, SHoP does not have the greatest reputation in NYC these days. their work is often fingered as 1970's out of date blaise

funny, curbed has identified Bjarke Ingels Group was shortlisted
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...in-detroit.php
    he would've been my first choice
    I thoroughly agree with the NYC reputation. Their idea of innovation seems to be "let's put a coke swoosh-like design on all our towers." I looked at BIG - very nice, sculptural architecture. http://www.big.dk

I still like the winner of that contest though.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitman32 View Post
    Wait, SHoP?! I was on their site! I wondered what that was.... do you think? What on earth is Detroit going to do with a supertall?
    Detroit doesn't have market demand for really anything, so no, whatever is built on this site will not be a supertall.

Whatever is built will be very heavily subsidized and a midrise at best. But I don't think anything will be built there soon.

I thoroughly agree with the NYC reputation. Their idea of innovation seems to be "let's put a coke swoosh-like design on all our towers." I looked at BIG - very nice, sculptural architecture. http://www.big.dk

I still like the winner of that contest though.
    i was a BIG skeptic til i heard his TED talk
    http://vimeo.com/13058392

also their web address is 'big dick' - stellar
    Last edited by hybridy; November-26-13 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Detroit doesn't have market demand for really anything, so no, whatever is built on this site will not be a supertall.

Whatever is built will be very heavily subsidized and a midrise at best. But I don't think anything will be built there soon.
    Seeing that this is a Dan Gilbert project I doubt it will be very heavily subsidized.
    also I would trust billionaires know something about business , so I believe they have faith in Detroit or they wouldn't be doing this

I guess all of us pretending everything is terrific is more constructive? Pretty sure Detroit was just called Chernobyl during a 1hr show on CNN.
    Seeing that this is a Dan Gilbert project I doubt it will be very heavily subsidized.
    also I would trust billionaires know something about business , so I believe they have faith in Detroit or they wouldn't be doing this
    I have more faith in four billionaires putting their money and rep on the line than some wash up chef/travel writer ,I'm just saying

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    i was a BIG skeptic til i heard his TED talk
    http://vimeo.com/13058392

also their web address is 'big dick' - stellar
    that was good

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

It's a round building. Only similarity. Design completed in 2010

http://www.shoparc.com/node/2233

Pretty boring, like the rest of their work. too bad he didn't hire a truly great firm...Bjarke Ingalls Group

If we can get something that was at least as tall as Hudson's, that would be wonderful.

Anything lower wouldn't do that site justice.

greekt0wn Guest

There is zero demand for this. 30 stories? Not only are you all very good at spending someone else's money but I'm wondering if you've thought about where he's going to find tenants for those floors? Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Oh I know, make it a hotel--because Detroit is such a booming vacation draw! I will be shocked if anything is there within 5 years. And the amount of care I have in a building that may be built in Detroit in 5 years is non existent. And I no zero idea why the average Detroiter would care about this when there are literally 1,000 other more important things that need your attention. Stop being suckers for the smoke and mirrors BS.

that was good
    Win... Traveling to the metro this wknd to witness all of downtowns continued resurgence. Can't wait to be back

There is zero demand for this. 30 stories? Not only are you all very good at spending someone else's money but I'm wondering if you've thought about where he's going to find tenants for those floors? Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Oh I know, make it a hotel--because Detroit is such a booming vacation draw! I will be shocked if anything is there within 5 years. And the amount of care I have in a building that may be built in Detroit in 5 years is non existent. And I no zero idea why the average Detroiter would care about this when there are literally 1,000 other more important things that need your attention. Stop being suckers for the smoke and mirrors BS.
    perhaps you miss the part that says Dan Gilbert is controlling the site ,so WE aren't spending any of his money , mr Gilbert is pretty good at doing that himself.
    i believe mr Gilbert and mr Penske, mr llitch , mr karmaros are pretty wise businessmen , and if these men can't get it done maybe it can't be done .

THis is the same mr Gilbert in the running to buy the fail prison , I think you better tell him he making a big mistake .

I believe mr Gilbert has done pretty good so far and has a good idea where the market is going . He's three moves ahead of everybody else and it's done him well thus far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast