Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by I <3 DET
    I'd like it to be a real skyscraper that will impact the skyline for the world to literally see the progress going on in Detroit.

To quote Chief Keef, "that's that **** I don't like." You know what city tries to build ridiculously showy skyscrapers while the populace suffers?
    Pyongyang. It's of course important to have a functioning, vibrant downtown, but we don't need the Renaissance Center Pt. II just yet.

If we really want to grand projects to uplift the city, we need a new police force and new law enforcement infrastructure, and also - if you could - a bunch of unskilled labor positions. What's a giant skyscraper gonna do when a more modest, appropriately scaled building could fill the space?
    Last edited by nain rouge; November-26-13 at 12:01 AM.

I agree that new police, firefighter, streetlights, etc. are the cities most important infrastructure. But those are funded by taxes, grants or donations. This new Hudson block building will be a private investment with maybe a few tax incentives.

If Dan Gilbert actually stated
    "it is our vision to see this new development serve as the new center of downtown Detroit for decades to come."
    he may want this building to be a mega project.

And if he also wrote
    "In its day this was the epicenter of downtown Detroit. Over 2.1 million square feet of shopping. To give you some perspective, The Somerset Collection in Troy is under 1.5 million square feet and that includes thecombined north and south sides of that world-class regional shopping mall. Hudson’s was where the action, hustle and bustle of a thriving major American downtown was at its highest. I am told that the energy level and excitement of ‘going downtown’ was electric and infectious when you got anywhere around or near this 2.1 acre rectangular city block site, especially during the holiday season."
    he is making such a big deal to the size of the old Hudson Building, I wonder if the size of the proposed building is going to be quite large.