Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I think in a way I find myself agreeing with Wesley in that I find that "created" names for areas just mess up my head. I am told that the inability to adapt to new things is a sign of growing old. Maybe it's so.

I think what confused me a little more than a little bit is that if there was a "Midtown" back in the 60's, I would have considered New Center to be it [[about midway between Downtown and the northern border), with "The Cultural Center" covering the general Wayne State area.

Just to be clear, Alvin's Finer Delicatessen IS [[or would have been) in Midtown but Dalgleish Cadillac would have been too far north, right?
    I know a lot of people seem to have issues with the "created" Midtown name. I personally think its a great way of branding and unifying the various smaller neighborhoods that make up midtown. As well as a way for an entity like Midtown Inc. to coordinate development.

Besides, all neighborhood names are just made up initially. Somebody "made up" the term Cass Corridor, it has no inherent superiority just because it was made up earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    ...Besides, all neighborhood names are just made up initially. Somebody "made up" the term Cass Corridor, it has no inherent superiority just because it was made up earlier.
    By that logic, there's no inherent superiority in old buildings. Someone just built them. We can ignore the past safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    By that logic, there's no inherent superiority in old buildings. Someone just built them. We can ignore the past safely.
    And what "historically significant" structures were torn down to free up the land to erect the building you are so passionately defending?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    And what "historically significant" structures were torn down to free up the land to erect the building you are so passionately defending?
    Perhaps by your logic, the renumbering of the streets destroyed the city's heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Besides, all neighborhood names are just made up initially. Somebody "made up" the term Cass Corridor, it has no inherent superiority just because it was made up earlier.
    Someone made up the term Detroit too. I say we call it "Bill" from now on and all of our the negative issues with Detroit will magically go away.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Someone made up the term Detroit too. I say we call it "Bill" from now on and all of our the negative issues with Detroit will magically go away.
    OMG, we're calling the city Detroit! That's not what it used to be called....

In July 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his party landed at a riverbank site chosen because the narrow strait there seemed strategically situated for protecting French fur trading interests in the Great Lakes. The river was called d'Etroit, a French word meaning "strait." Cadillac and his men built Fort Pontchartrain on the site, naming the fort after Comte de Pontchartrain, French King Louis XIV's minister of state; soon a palisaded riverfront village developed nearby. Cadillac named the settlement "ville d'etroit," or city of the strait. Eventually the name was simplified to Detroit.

History History! It's ville d'etroit! The hipsters have bastardized it!

I'm flattered!

I'm flattered!

I've long advocated Detroit should change its name to Pointe so Eastpointe will have to change its name again.

I left Detroit in '80 and the Detroit area in '84 [[layoffs in the auto industry, move to Houston, move back, move to Indiana, move to the shores of Lake Michigan). There were times, when living in either Texas or Indiana, I'd meet someone from Detroit. Ask a few questions, pin-point where I was from.
    East side or west? East
    You know where Mack and Warren come together? You know where Maple Lanes Bowling alley is [[or was)? That's my street, Farmbrook. Go toward Chandler Park Drive, a block and four houses on the left. That's where I'm from.