Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

iirc the parking garage on the north side of the block covers the new parking needed for the new developments and the replacement parking from the parking lots being built on.

I was thinking that they would of planned this for Woodward and Warren site, as originally planned. Guess the Subway shop couldn't be leased out, now what's the plans for the site now?

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    How many Detroiters in the 1920's would have gotten excited about a 9 story building? May as well be the first Starbucks in Benton Harbor.
    Probably none, but I don't see the relevance of the question. It isn't the 1920's and Detroiters haven't been jaded by an enormous building boom.

In June you may not pay a lot of attention to the leaves on the trees, but in April you might see a tree with some tiny leaves and take that as a sign that spring is arriving. Seems natural to me that people would be somewhat excited. But, to continue in the same vein, one swallow doesn't make a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    +1 for added density, mixed use
    -10 for design
    Amen to that.... Bjarke Ingels... where are you??

Very refreshing to see bigger development. This will certainly contribute big to the neighborhood. Unfortunately the design looks very cheap. Kind of the same type of architecture you see on suburban hotels. Hopefully they can make a revision.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Very refreshing to see bigger development. This will certainly contribute big to the neighborhood. Unfortunately the design looks very cheap. Kind of the same type of architecture you see on suburban hotels. Hopefully they can make a revision.
    I agree it looks like that crap they are building in Ann Arbor.

Well it doesnt look like it was designed by a Nobel Prizewinner but at least it doesnt have a goofy staggered cladding pattern that is all the rage now. lol.

Here's a idea, The new building will be 9-stories, why not make it one of Marriott's "urban cosmopolitan' boutique hotel and residence, which is called "The 9"...how ironic. Check it out, in Cleveland, OH. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...226472771.html

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree it looks like that crap they are building in Ann Arbor.
    You are right. But, at least the stuff in Ann Arbor is all brick. Still doesn't excuse it from looking institutional. But this thing appears to have stucco above the first couple levels. The same low cost theory you see in tract homes with the brick front and siding on the back. Build it fast and build it cheap.

But I'm willing to excuse the ugly design for the fact that this will be a major improvement, adds density, more residents and retail, and is finally crossing a threshold where larger development in the city is underway. But after awhile, Detroit [[or Michigan in general) needs to up it's game in architectural design. Detroit has rich architectural history and deserves better than lowest cost design on the market

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Amen to that.... Bjarke Ingels... where are you??
    Lol. Have u gotten u off the liebeskind train?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Well it doesnt look like it was designed by a Nobel Prizewinner but at least it doesnt have a goofy staggered cladding pattern that is all the rage now. lol.
    pritzker prize is for architecture

Cass & Canfield? Why didn't they build this on the empty corner lot of Warren & Woodward, Its actually more space there.

You are right. But, at least the stuff in Ann Arbor is all brick. Still doesn't excuse it from looking institutional. But this thing appears to have stucco above the first couple levels. The same low cost theory you see in tract homes with the brick front and siding on the back. Build it fast and build it cheap.

But I'm willing to excuse the ugly design for the fact that this will be a major improvement, adds density, more residents and retail, and is finally crossing a threshold where larger development in the city is underway. But after awhile, Detroit [[or Michigan in general) needs to up it's game in architectural design. Detroit has rich architectural history and deserves better than lowest cost design on the market
    Actually a lot of what they're building in Ann Arbor is faced with a "brick" veneer. I've seen them install the panels. Perhaps some of these buildings are real brick but I've never seen any masons working on any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    pritzker prize is for architecture

True, and the funny thing is Nobel was responsible for the quick removal of architecture, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    Actually a lot of what they're building in Ann Arbor is faced with a "brick" veneer. I've seen them install the panels. Perhaps some of these buildings are real brick but I've never seen any masons working on any of them.
    Actually most, but not all, is utility size brick, not precast with thin inlay. In fact the university does all lay up masonry, but not the private housing developers with shallower pockets. It's a close cousin aesthetically to cmu blocks in my opinion. But I'll take that over EIFS which is embraced on party stores and strip malls. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what the rendering seems to suggest. Why else stop the brick on the lower levels?
    Last edited by wolverine; November-24-13 at 12:01 AM.

Actually most, but not all, is utility size brick, not precast with thin inlay. In fact the university does all lay up masonry, but not the private housing developers with shallower pockets. It's a close cousin aesthetically to cmu blocks in my opinion. But I'll take that over EIFS which is embraced on party stores and strip malls. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what the rendering seems to suggest. Why else stop the brick on the lower levels?
    I was referring strictly to the private developments. I can say with certainty that the pre-cast panels are in widespread use on new construction high-rises in Ann Arbor. The apartment building that went up a few years ago at State and Washington is one prominent example. I agree with you regarding EIFS. It's terrible. I've seen some particularly egregious bastardizations of homes in Dearborn [[Aviation Sub in particular) using this material. Or this abomination at I-94 and Lumley in Detroit... See it every day on my way to and from work and wonder WTF? Although I guess it beats the "firebombed" look so popular with many of its neighbors. http://goo.gl/maps/Vw6d7

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    I assume the NW corner where there is one lonely house sitting?
    next to university tower

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Cass & Canfield? Why didn't they build this on the empty corner lot of Warren & Woodward, Its actually more space there.

WSU and other real estate planners can put and exotic buildings whatever they want in midtown. It's for their benefit to make people happy not for our benefit. One area can be a park, parking lot or a brownfield and other can be a building complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

WSU and other real estate planners can put and exotic buildings whatever they want in midtown. It's for their benefit to make people happy not for our benefit. One area can be a park, parking lot or a brownfield and other can be a building complex.
    Danny is right. Ownership of the land trumps DYesers playing SimCity.

Quote Originally Posted by scottn55 View Post
    I was referring strictly to the private developments. I can say with certainty that the pre-cast panels are in widespread use on new construction high-rises in Ann Arbor. The apartment building that went up a few years ago at State and Washington is one prominent example. I agree with you regarding EIFS. It's terrible. I've seen some particularly egregious bastardizations of homes in Dearborn [[Aviation Sub in particular) using this material. Or this abomination at I-94 and Lumley in Detroit... See it every day on my way to and from work and wonder WTF? Although I guess it beats the "firebombed" look so popular with many of its neighbors. http://goo.gl/maps/Vw6d7
    State and Washington was thin brick, but applied by hand. It was cold form steel and rigid board insulation behind it. Not precast. Zaragon projects used structural precast but did have lay-up utility size brick. I have photos of all of these under construction on visits to Ann Arbor. You don't have to convince me though, I'm not a fan of those projects.

As for detroit yes playing simcity, there's actually a varying amount citizen participation in larger cities. I don't know how much power is given to residents who may speak through their district representatives. At least where I live we successfully convinced a developer to move their tower to a lot next door and not tear down some old brownstones. Ultimately an alderman could support or bury a project if the electorate wasn't happy with the design. So kind of like simcity if community meetings continuously send developers and architects back to the drawing board. Or else the projects simply never get approved.

greekt0wn Guest

Wow a whole 9 stories of Detroit opulence. I can't wait to sign a lease and live next to some of Wayne State's 26% 6 year grad rate finest.

Quote Originally Posted by greekt0wn View Post
    Wow a whole 9 stories of Detroit opulence. I can't wait to sign a lease and live next to some of Wayne State's 26% 6 year grad rate finest.
    Oh man, you remind me of absolutely none of the other half assed trolls to pass through in since I've been reading regularly. Nope definitely none of them.

I am excited to hear this, but disappointed that it is going to take until 2015 to get this going. I have a feeling by then, several of the other projects that have not broken ground will be well underway and ready to go. Honestly shouldn't bitch though, development is development is development.

Yes, you'd be such a fine addition to the neighborhood.

greekt0wn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I am excited to hear this, but disappointed that it is going to take until 2015 to get this going.
    How do all of you Detroit lifers keep falling for the smoke and mirrors? If this was Chicago, New York, D.C., or SF a 9 story building would be completed by this summer.

How do all of you Detroit lifers keep falling for the smoke and mirrors? If this was Chicago, New York, D.C., or SF a 9 story building would be completed by this summer.
    As resident of SF, I can attest to the fact that you obviously have no idea of the development process here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast