Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think it will be spread beyond where we assume it will be. From what I hear, they are going to have an area at the midway point between ford field and campus martius to promote the idea of going between the two festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Actually yes I do. I have worked with her before.
    Welp that explains a lot. Can you tell me why she held on to the DEMF brand name for over ten years? That'd be a cool thing to clear up. And didn't she have some awesome electronic music festival up in Traverse City?

"That explains a lot." What the hell does that mean?

While I am in no position to defend her, she held onto the name because it is under was able to trademark the name, like if you were to trademark the name "motz" for instance. I am sure you wouldn't be happy if someone came along and used the goofy name motz for profit. Not to mention it is a brand name. In regards to "Clover," yes the festival in Traverse City did not get a great response, but she was able to go out and get a ton of corporate sponsorship, Pepsi for instance. Which goes to show she can get the money.

This is all moot point. Do you honestly think that the kids that are going to this festival really care what happened behind the scene 12 years ago? No, they are not, they were 7, 8, 9 years old, that is all irrelevant information. You know Rothbury hasn't exactly had the greatest track record but people still attend it in the masses.

"That explains a lot." What the hell does that mean?

While I am in no position to defend her, she held onto the name because it is under was able to trademark the name, like if you were to trademark the name "motz" for instance. I am sure you wouldn't be happy if someone came along and used the goofy name motz for profit. Not to mention it is a brand name. In regards to "Clover," yes the festival in Traverse City did not get a great response, but she was able to go out and get a ton of corporate sponsorship, Pepsi for instance. Which goes to show she can get the money.

This is all moot point. Do you honestly think that the kids that are going to this festival really care what happened behind the scene 12 years ago? No, they are not, they were 7, 8, 9 years old, that is all irrelevant information. You know Rothbury hasn't exactly had the greatest track record but people still attend it in the masses.
    My issue comes with burnt bridges, a certain bitterness among the folks who'd be more likely to drop $300 on a premium electronic music based festival and the fact that we had to go 10+ years using a series of silly names because one person didn't want to play nice with others. The success of this festival is going to hinge on Carol's ability to advertise and execute it. Corporate sponsorship and whatnot is great, but it doesn't mean that it will be good or profitable. Again, I will attend the free portion, but do not hold high hopes for this to become a tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    My issue comes with burnt bridges, a certain bitterness among the folks who'd be more likely to drop $300 on a premium electronic music based festival and the fact that we had to go 10+ years using a series of silly names because one person didn't want to play nice with others. The success of this festival is going to hinge on Carol's ability to advertise and execute it. Corporate sponsorship and whatnot is great, but it doesn't mean that it will be good or profitable. Again, I will attend the free portion, but do not hold high hopes for this to become a tradition.
    I appreciate the honest answer and I can totally agree with wholeheartedly 100%. But I think that this generation of festival goers does not care who is behind this, especially when they are bringing in worldwide/household names. That's going to be your target audience, because they are the ones spending the money.

Just don't bring in cheese, warsaw. More MJC, less Alesso.

Why won't warsaw take the bet? It's an easy $500 if you're so confident!

What a joker.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Why won't warsaw take the bet? It's an easy $500 if you're so confident!

What a joker.
    Why won't I take an internet bet?! SMH.

I'm with Armin on this one. This is the same shenanigans she used last time to validate her reputation. This time she is using Juan Atkins instead of Carl Craig. I can't believe anyone would want to work with anyone that did not pay a bunch of people and then basically blew it off: http://www2.metrotimes.com/music/story.asp?id=3296

And warsaw7, you sure are going out on a limb defending someone you just "used to work with". About the only thing you are right about is that the new fans will not care about her past negative dealings and drama. People are stupid that way.

P.S. And if you're the same one defending her on the 313 list, it's nice to see how you talk to people when you think you're anonymous.
    Last edited by Islandman; December-04-13 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I'm with Armin on this one. This is the same shenanigans she used last time to validate her reputation. This time she is using Juan Atkins instead of Carl Craig. I can't believe anyone would want to work with anyone that did not pay a bunch of people and then basically blew it off: http://www2.metrotimes.com/music/story.asp?id=3296

And warsaw7, you sure are going out on a limb defending someone you just "used to work with". About the only thing you are right about is that the new fans will not care about her past negative dealings and drama. People are stupid that way.

P.S. And if you're the same one defending her on the 313 list, it's nice to see how you talk to people when you think you're anonymous.
    I'm pretty sure the city owed the money to those that were never paid. Carol was basically the scapegoat in that scenario after the cities negligence.

Thanks for joining the party. No this is the only board I am currently on.

Again the past is the past. I am not defending her in any way. My point is that this festival will not fail prior the the festival itself. It will happen, she is working with a great team and I foresee it being a success regardless of her past activities.

The DEMF festival planned for campus martius IS free. A second event is planned as a fundraiser. Both of these have no affiliation with movement.

I'm bumping this, after a conversation with a fellow Friday night who hadn't heard a word about it.

The DEMF website isn't loading, though, so I cannot find updates.

Wondering how the odds have tilted in the past few months since this announcement. Anyone have any news on this?!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ...The DEMF website isn't loading, though, so I cannot find updates....
    Just for reference, DEMF.us says
    Full Website Coming Soon

Default 2 Tickets [[3 day passes) to Movement

Price for 2 tickets to Movement:

ITEM DESCRIPTION
    PRICE [[USD)
    May
    Sat
    - May 26
    Paxahau Presents:
    Movement
    Electronic Music Festival
    3 Day Pass
    Tier 2 / All Ages Hart Plaza - Detroit, MI

$130.00
    + $11.70 service fee

ORDER SUMMARY
    Item Total: $260.00

Service Fees: $23.40

Processing: $2.00

Sub-Total:

$285.40

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Am I just a cheapskate or is $300 kind of a lot for concert tickets, especially if we're talking something appealing more to 17-year-olds than Barbara Streisand fans?
    People, people who need techno, are the luckiest people in the world......

Name:  1947734_780905478604786_343728480_n.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  50.5 KB

from DEMF's facebook page. [[NOT MOVEMENT) ... pic was uploaded Feb 20

no artists have been announced though.. who knows what's going on

They also said, after someone posed the question of when artists would be announced. "Will post soon, making it perfect" also from their facebook page on feb 20

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    "Will post soon, making it perfect"
    Looks like somebody is a liar now, since nothing has been posted 'soon'.

That short quote sounds like it came from Ms. Carol...she seems to be one who aims to be perfect. That goal is a bit inhumane, but that doesn't keep some from imagining they can get there.

If they don't have a line-up by now, how the heck are those world-travelers going to get the time off and arrange their journeys?! [[I say this since it seems so much of the electronic music genre success has come from overseas)

And what Europeans vacation in July, anyways? Isn't August their big month to 'take holiday'?

The inertia is damning. I sure hope they can pull this off...and big, because inevitably, at the end of the Summer, there will be comparisons with the established event. That might affect how future corporate backing will flow.

Cheers

Whoa wait, Carol Marvin came up with excuses for not being able to put the event on??? Well I never...

At least the Movement is on at Hart Plaza this year.

Thanks for joining the party. No this is the only board I am currently on.

Again the past is the past. I am not defending her in any way. My point is that this festival will not fail prior the the festival itself. It will happen, she is working with a great team and I foresee it being a success regardless of her past activities.
    Anything to add?

I didn't realize that construction had broken ground the M1...is the area tore up?

Anything to add?
    Maybe we should have a fundraiser to buy warsaw some crow to eat, not sure.

edit - You can call Carol Marvin a really nice lady, or whatever you want. But when it comes down to it, she showed that she still can't put on an event properly. And her continued hoarding of the "DEMF" brand as if she will ever actually use it is, to some of us electronic music fans, unforgivable.

Agree 100%.

Even worse, people are now thinking Movement has been cancelled because of all the press this "postponement" is getting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast