Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If you rely on the media for what's real and what's not, America's overrun with roving gangs of black teens randomly punching people in the head, only pretty, young white woman ever go missing and no one on Wall Street ever ripped off anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by greekt0wn View Post
    I can't think of the last time I've encountered a group of black teens walking by me.
    Do you live in rural Montana or something?

How could you live in Metro Detroit and not ever encounter teenagers who happen to be black?

More on the myth of the knock-out game.

"Here’s the fascinating thing about this “spreading” trend: nobody seems to have any evidence that it’s spreading, or that it’s new, or that it’s racially motivated, or that black youths are the ones typically responsible, or that whites are typically targeted. "

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/11/25/wh...he_knockout_game_trend_is_a_myth.html

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

"Here’s the fascinating thing about this “spreading” trend: nobody seems to have any evidence that it’s spreading, or that it’s new, or that it’s racially motivated, or that black youths are the ones typically responsible, or that whites are typically targeted. "

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/11/25/wh...he_knockout_game_trend_is_a_myth.html

I don't so much care about whether or not it's racial. And I also don't care about whether or not it's spreading.

The bottom line is that it's happening. It's happened in Lansing, Hamtramck, and Downtown Detroit.

Who cares whether or not the numbers are skyrocketing? The point is that it shouldn't happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't so much care about whether or not it's racial. And I also don't care about whether or not it's spreading.

The bottom line is that it's happening. It's happened in Lansing, Hamtramck, and Downtown Detroit.

Who cares whether or not the numbers are skyrocketing? The point is that it shouldn't happen at all.
    I would agree with that.

Unfortunately some posters are using that story to spread "woe-is-the-white-man" rhetoric about media minimizing black wrongdoing while supposedly giving undue attention white perpetrators in threads where they don't belong.

My Grosse Pointe poilice misconduct thread being just one.

Faulty reasoning. If we accept there's no evidence of such a thing, it does not prove the counter-factual.

I know I was attacked, I know the police and EMT told me it was a routine occurance, and I know many others.

I don't know why people need somd 10-year study by the Ford Foundation or whatever to prove what is, at least anecdotally, quite common, if you ask those in law enforcement and emergency response.

Because it's not quite common. Sorry to hear that it happened to you. But you don't have any stats to show that this is anything more than a media-hyped up story of something that happens very infrequently. Like most media-hyped crime stories, it's hyped because it has a racial component and because it's gone viral on social media. It's the same reason that stories about missing white women dominate the news while stories of missing black women never get aired.
    Last edited by Novine; November-26-13 at 07:27 PM.

If the media and police choose not to identify it as such, then does that mean that it doesn't exist? So if the police and media don't acknowledge racial profiling exists in local police departments, then I guess it doesn't?

Burying your head in the sand or purposefully turning a blind eye to something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. The Slate article seems to base its entire argument on the fact that there are no concrete numbers to back up the claims that this game is a problem. But here's my counter to that, how can you have numbers if nobody is even counting?

What do you think this was?

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/m...d-by-stranger/

What does this sound like to you?

CRIME ALERT
    UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
    DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Date of Incidents: March 9 and 11, 2012, about 1:30-2:30am
    Location: Off-campus around Central Campus [[Willard at East U, 100 block S First, 600 block Packard)
    Offense: Assaults
    Summary: As told to the Ann Arbor Police, in three weekend incidents, males were assaulted in unprovoked attacks. No property was taken, but injuries required medical attention.
    Suspects: Two or four black males, possibly thin build and 20-25 years old; in the assault on S. First, a small, red auto [[maybe Dodge Neon) possibly was involved
    These are local examples of the Knockout game being played. However, you'll notice NOWHERE in those descriptions are the word "knockout game" even mentioned. Maybe it's deliberate, maybe it isn't, but the point is that this trend is almost certainly being underreported as most of these crimes have been chalked up as being simple assaults with no mention or investigation into their motivations. Just because nobody labeled these four above examples as being part of the knockout game does not mean that they didn't happen.

But hey, maybe you can send that Slate article to the victims and let them know that they weren't really assaulted at all and it was all in their heads because the game is a "myth" after all...
    Last edited by aj3647; November-26-13 at 07:38 PM.

No one claimed that they never happened. I believe that some of these attacks are examples of the Knock-out Game as it's described. But that's not a trend and it's surely not worth the amount of media coverage that it generates on TV and all over the Internet. Meanwhile, almost every day, kids in American are dying at the hands of other kids in accidental shootings but we don't see those making the news every night.
    Last edited by Novine; November-26-13 at 07:36 PM.

But that's not a trend and it's surely not worth the amount of media coverage that it generates on TV and all over the Internet. Meanwhile, almost every day, kids in American are dying at the hands of other kids in accidental shootings but we don't see those making the news every night.
    Media coverage? You make it sound like this story is all over the news. It really isn't. And nobody was talking about it at all until Orthodox Jews started getting punched by black teens in NYC, then the media took notice.

Here's a story that got national headlines from San Diego St University:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...0,562462.story

Four white students are charged with a hate crime for bullying their black roommate and exposing him to racist slurs and iconography. They didn't harm in any way, just bullied him with racist intent. That made national news. So does every isolated example of a white sorority or fraternity having a racially-insensitive theme party. THAT shit makes national news too. So does every isolated example of some dumbass white person putting on blackface for a party. These things make national headlines. Are they part of some connected trend? No. Are people dying from it? No. But it makes the news, it's sensationalized.

And yet here we have a game being played in which numerous people have actually died from it, and we can't even talk about it? Why?

As I stated in my previous post, the reason why slate cannot find evidence of a trend is because nobody is counting. See my previous post where I cited four examples.
    Last edited by aj3647; November-26-13 at 07:56 PM.

You can talk about whatever you want. I'll give you hundreds of examples of kids dying this year from accidents involving kids and guns. I would say that's a more pressing problem than the supposed wave of people getting attacked in the Knock-out Game.

greekt0wn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Do you live in rural Montana or something?

How could you live in Metro Detroit and not ever encounter teenagers who happen to be black?
    I don't live, work, dine or relax anywhere where youth loiter, so I don't come across many. I suppose there may be youth at the movie theatre, but we rarely go see movies and when we do it's at off peak times like Sunday matinee. I don't do things like walk down the street in Pontiac or dine at Benihanas in Dearborn, and I stopped purchasing season tickets for the Pistons after the crowd turned for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

Yes, it shouldn't happen at all. But there is a racial angle here. Blacks often want whites to 'own up' to their racism. Whites perceive that blacks don't own up to their own issues. There's a frequent call for a 'dialog' about race. This is a dialog. I for one am learning by what I read here.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I would agree with that.

Unfortunately some posters are using that story to spread "woe-is-the-white-man" rhetoric about media minimizing black wrongdoing while supposedly giving undue attention white perpetrators in threads where they don't belong.

My Grosse Pointe poilice misconduct thread being just one.
    @ the risk of sounding racist, brizee, that's a little like the kettle calling the pot black. Please feel free to post clips or links showing young, athletic, black men, causing permanent brain damage or death to elderly black men and women, playing the knockout king game.

It happens every day HT. Of course, the media doesn't cover these kinds of crimes just like it glosses over the fact that almost every day, kids are shot and killed by other kids in accidental gun deaths. But if you're a pretty young white woman and go missing, your story will be nationally televised. But I'm sure you'll tell me it's not about race.

It happens every day HT. Of course, the media doesn't cover these kinds of crimes just like it glosses over the fact that almost every day, kids are shot and killed by other kids in accidental gun deaths. But if you're a pretty young white woman and go missing, your story will be nationally televised. But I'm sure you'll tell me it's not about race.
    The one thing you have to remember about the "Noose Media" is their job is to make money, NOT report the news. Once you accept that, it'll make more sense to you why and what gets covered.

Then why are you asking brizee to post links or news stories about something you know won't get covered?

Then why are you asking brizee to post links or news stories about something you know won't get covered?
    I'll wait for brizee to respond, if he so chooses. You sound like your pantyhose are in a bunch, [[again) and you want to argue. Besides, I can tell already you totally missed my point. Have a great Thanksgiving!

I don't watch enough major media to know if this is true. But I don't feel this. The Renisha story has been covered widely -- although not a 'random' death.

Although I don't feel this, maybe it is true. Or maybe its urban vs. suburban. Less coverage of Detroit deaths, more of Clinton Township -- regardless of the victim's race -- more regard for the 'where'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I don't watch enough major media to know if this is true. But I don't feel this. The Renisha story has been covered widely -- although not a 'random' death.

Although I don't feel this, maybe it is true. Or maybe its urban vs. suburban. Less coverage of Detroit deaths, more of Clinton Township -- regardless of the victim's race -- more regard for the 'where'.
    More regard for who buys what products, and how much of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    @ the risk of sounding racist, brizee, that's a little like the kettle calling the pot black. Please feel free to post clips or links showing young, athletic, black men, causing permanent brain damage or death to elderly black men and women, playing the knockout king game.
    My point is that there is no surge or wave of this game going around where black kids attack white people.

Is there random acts of violence? Sure, there are assaults and muggings and murders and thrill crimes all the time. Look at bum fights that's been around for years for certain people to get their rocks off to.

Look at the first attack in the video posted. Shows a group of black teenagers supposedly swooping down on an unsuspecting white victim to play "the knockout game"

Only that didn't happen.

It was one asshole "having a bad day" lashing out, and probably trying to impress someone and the media states and omits facts now that whole group is demonised. "Knockout" or punchbuggy, knockout king or knockout game is never mentioned in the original piece. And it happened more than a year ago.

The second story. Yes a white woman on a back was punched by one of a group black kids on a bike. Shouldn't have happened.

The homeless Hamtramck guy was beaten and kicked. Different than the supposed knockout and runaway tactic. Shouldn't have happened. Attacked deserved to be imprisoned at least until they're adults. But again doesn't fit the "knockout game".

Fourth attack they showed?

Didn't even happen in this country.

Attacked was a mentally ill asshole with a long rapsheet. And his first victim [[there was another one the media opted not show. For some reason.)?

BTW both attacks took place approximately two years and one year ago respectively.

The link corktown posted?

Asshole attacked someone WITH A STUNGUN, which BTW happened towards the beginning of the year because I remember the story.

So you have

-random act of violence from a self described "angry kid"

-what may be a genuine attempt to knock someone out to amuse the group

-a violent beating.

- a stun gun attack

- the acts of a mentally deficient

In this recent rash of stories of a supposed epidemic you have stories with: different ways of attacks; taking place multiple years apart, taking place in different countries, for vastly different reason.

More people in the city of Detroit have probably gotten their head smashed or a bullet in the ass for their property in the last week than "The Knockout Game" have seen across the country in the last year.

It may exist, I sincerely doubt it but weirder things have happened.

I'm just wary when these niggas-run-wild stories pop up. Because they're usually followed by stop-and-frisk, or stand-your-ground or whatever new development designed to make my life that much harder.

Michigan has a "concealed carry" law, right? Curious if City of Detroit still makes it difficult to obtain a handgun permit or if Michigan of a few years ago over rode such restrictions. When I was living in Detroit a decade ago I seem to recall that even obtaining a handgun permit just to keep in one's home was difficult. A CCW permit in Detroit was very difficult to obtain in the '90s, I was told.

If this "knock out" styling is for real, and not just media hyped thing as some officials in NYC are insisting, my guess thing new pastimes would end quickly upon several attackers being dropped in course of legal self-defense circumstances by someone that whips out a piece.

Because it's not quite common. Sorry to hear that it happened to you. But you don't have any stats to show that this is anything more than a media-hyped up story of something that happens very infrequently.
    I think it is quite common. And you don't have any evidence to prove this is not the case.

There is no National Knock-Out Database. There is no reason there should be some unified national effort at recording random street-level violence. That doesn't mean it isn't routine.

Again, if you ask anyone in law enforcement, or emergency medical assistance, in any U.S. urban area, I think they will be well-acquainted with the "game".

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    My point is that there is no surge or wave of this game going around where black kids attack white people.
    How do you know? How could anyone know?

If there were such a "surge", what municipality or local law enforcement agency would ever make such a claim? They would be crucified.

Can you imagine the Detroit Police Chief warning people about roving gangs of black youth attacking suburbanites downtown? Not going to happen, not in a million years, for obvious, racial, economic, and job security reasons.

This reminds me of the commentary we got from the clown who claimed that Somerset was being plagued by a crime wave even though there was no statistics to back up those claims. Changed your tune now Bham1982?

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...gn-in-jeopardy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast