Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

WND is a waaaay right-leaning news website, but it comments on this "game" quite often and how it's largely covered up and un-reported.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/surprise-...knockout-game/

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    WND is a waaaay right-leaning news website, but it comments on this "game" quite often and how it's largely covered up and un-reported.

In these internet days, I don't believe in coverups. Are there no cops on this forum? Is this a known activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I disagree. I am not African American, and I do not think anyone "speaks for" a community, but I think it is sad that you have a [[metaphorical) house burning down and the leadership is only complaing about extraneous stuff.

If young African American males were not involved in such a wildly disproportionate amount of criminal behavior, there would be less Macys incidents, less police profiling incidents, etc. As it stands, it makes perfect sense that Macys would be watching young African American males more than any other demographic cohort.
    I certainly respect your right to disagree and you express very well why you disagree. But a couple of the premises, upon which you base your arguments, are faulty.

First, Jackson and Sharpton both [[especially Sharpton) frequently discuss the issue of black on black crimes, as do other African-American leaders. It is often a point of discussion on Sharpton's radio show and there are forums held all over the country in an attempt to address the issue. They discuss treating each other with respect [[hence their former campaign to encourage AA's to stop the use of the N-word when talking to each other), they talk about male responsibility and other topics. It is simply untrue that they never speak out against black on black crime or other inappropriate behavior by blacks.

Second, profiling of African-Americans began long before they starting becoming a real problem [[demographically speaking). They were a perceived problem as soon as they were emancipated. One could just as easily argue that if they weren't profiled from the beginning, and relegated to a mostly second-class existence, then they wouldn't be displaying such aberrant behavior. Another chicken or the egg question.

Study history some more. African-American mothers were traditionally very strict with their sons because they didn't want them to display any behavior that might cause them to "get into trouble". Their sons were more careful back then, but that didn't stop them from being profiled, lynched, you name it. And what about middle-aged African-American women who also get profiled by high-end department stores?

Bottom line is this: people have a right to protest over causes large and small. I don't try to tell PETA that they cannot protest mistreatment of animals unless they also protest human rights abuses. There are enough leaders around for any kind of protest or forum that needs to take place. Let the civil rights leaders deal with civil rights and let some other kinds of leaders deal with the troubling issue of African-American youths.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post

It was reported on Channel 4 yesterday...maybe it doesn't happen often enough in a specific area to be of interest. Now we have a homeless man from Hamtramck brain dead and more attacks out east now clustered in the same time frame.

A Knock-Out Game is assualt with attempt to commit murder. That's 25 years to life in prison with no parole if you get caught red handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I certainly respect your right to disagree and you express very well why you disagree. But a couple of the premises, upon which you base your arguments, are faulty.

First, Jackson and Sharpton both [[especially Sharpton) frequently discuss the issue of black on black crimes, as do other African-American leaders. It is often a point of discussion on Sharpton's radio show and there are forums held all over the country in an attempt to address the issue. They discuss treating each other with respect [[hence their former campaign to encourage AA's to stop the use of the N-word when talking to each other), they talk about male responsibility and other topics. It is simply untrue that they never speak out against black on black crime or other inappropriate behavior by blacks.
    I'm glad to hear that. My ears don't get to hear those comments. So maybe its media bias on what gets reported. Please bring his criticism to the table. Its not getting to me.

Second, profiling of African-Americans began long before they starting becoming a real problem [[demographically speaking). They were a perceived problem as soon as they were emancipated. One could just as easily argue that if they weren't profiled from the beginning, and relegated to a mostly second-class existence, then they wouldn't be displaying such aberrant behavior. Another chicken or the egg question.
    Profiling is such a hot button. It means such different things. So we often talk past each other. Chicken or egg is a good analogy. Are the problems with black America a cause of profiling, or a result of profiling. Good question -- but it doesn't matter. Thought policing doesn't work very well. So I encourage action change.

I led this thread with an anecdote that happened less than two weeks ago, well before any of this hit the news. I am not lying that everyone, including the victim, were puzzled why they didn't go for anything else when he was down. He had his laptop briefcase, and wallet...and I assume the keys to his car. The only thing they took were his eyeglasses, which kept him from seeing where they went...if not for the interested bystander who witnessed the whole deal and called the cops, the perps would've gotten away.

So, this is not a new thing. There ARE no new things under the Sun...according to an old wise man. It has merely become trendy again, and perhaps made more widely known through the internet.

As for anyone who thinks there can be no conspiracy because of the internet, what about all the stuff that gets mysteriously deleted? That happens more often than anyone wants to admit. Happened to me. Here. And it wasn't Lowell.

So, yeah, the internet is no guarantee against conspiracy.

A Knock-Out Game is an assault to commit murder game. If you get caught red handed could mean 25 years to life in prison without a possibility of parole.

Kids, are will to give up your freedom just a TKO some innocent person, DONT!

Don't let this trend happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'm glad to hear that. My ears don't get to hear those comments. So maybe its media bias on what gets reported. Please bring his criticism to the table. Its not getting to me.
    So the main media outlets ignore this and, instead of checking into it for yourself, you expect others to deliver it to you.

Pretty sad that, if major media outlets don't cover it you are unwilling to believe it until it is proven to you.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2011-...town-murder/6/

A lengthy and rather chilling article from 2011 [[St. Louis). It analyzes what was then considered a growing trend, from various aspects. It features comments from several youths as to why they do this and from some "experts" who debate whether it really is a trend or not.

I cannot fathom anyone without a mental issue being able to harm innocent people, whether they are elderly or young, black or white. Even more so, I cannot imagine why any female would follow along with a pack of guys who could do these things. This isn't normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    So the main media outlets ignore this and, instead of checking into it for yourself, you expect others to deliver it to you.

Pretty sad that, if major media outlets don't cover it you are unwilling to believe it until it is proven to you.
    Yeah. All you have to do is use google to know that the issue is not being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Actually, its the major media coverage that's making me doubt its existence. Are they ever right?

As to my laziness -- I prefer to think of it as openness.

So a couple of isolated incidents have made people fear an entire demographic of people? less than 20 incidents reported nationwide recently and people are freaked out....white folks don’t suffer the same consequence. The actions of a small group of white teens wouldn’t taint the entire population of white teens and paint them as something to be scared of. People and the media would simply pin it on those individuals..it would be preposterous to believe that all white teens would behave in that way

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    So a couple of isolated incidents have made people fear an entire demographic of people? less than 20 incidents reported nationwide recently and people are freaked out....white folks don’t suffer the same consequence.
    What makes you think that there are "less than 20 incidents reported"?

If I walk down the street in a major American city and punch out a pedestrian, that isn't going to make the news.

Based on my experiences after falling victim to this game, everyone I spoke with in a position of authority [[police and courts) treated this as a routine occurance.

Police in NYC are looking into the most recent attacks as hate crimes because all the victims were Jewish and all the attackers were black. Accounts from around the country seem to have a certain pattern -- black attackers, white or Asian victims. The exact victim is random but the pattern of racial animus is not.

It's not fair to treat every black teen as a bad guy. Clearly most aren't. That said, if I'm walking down the street and see a group of black teens coming toward me I'm certainly going to think about my options. Even Jesse Jackson admitted that if heard someone coming up behind him, he was relieved if he turned around and saw it was a white person.

So a couple of isolated incidents have made people fear an entire demographic of people? less than 20 incidents reported nationwide recently and people are freaked out....white folks don’t suffer the same consequence. The actions of a small group of white teens wouldn’t taint the entire population of white teens and paint them as something to be scared of. People and the media would simply pin it on those individuals..it would be preposterous to believe that all white teens would behave in that way
    I am completely at a loss as to how you can think that. Except that you're wrong. White kids could just as easily be 'tainted' -- if the tables were turned another way.

People are funny. They don't like being victims of violence. They avoid violent areas. They avoid violent people. They seek ways to know who's naughty and who's nice. They do respond to people's race, color, creed, neighborhood, attire, hair color, tattoos, shaved heads, way of walking... isn't that obvious? Groups are 'tainted' every day by actions of fools. Even fairly big groups.

heard about something similar a few years back.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_slapping

seems like typical 'oh no the youths are going to knock us out and take our pills' type hysteria.

mixed in with some truely sadistic adult bullying by the youths. crazy.

[FON
    T=Calibri]So a couple of isolated incidents have made people fear an entire demographic of people? less than 20 incidents reported nationwide recently and people are freaked out....white folks don’t suffer the same consequence. The actions of a small group of white teens wouldn’t taint the entire population of white teens and paint them as something to be scared of. People and the media would simply pin it on those individuals..it would be preposterous to believe that all white teens would behave in that way [/FONT]
    I would be leary about White teens if they were knocking out blacks as well. That had occured in Detroit as well as other parts of the country years and years ago. Colin Flaherty had written a book about the Flash mobs and Knockout Kings

Default 60-year old Victim of Knockout Game Fires Weapon in Self-Defense - 2 Assailants Dead.

Default Lansing Teen Shot then Jailed after His Failed Stun Gun Attack with Friends

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._out_brut.html

[[1) I don't blame the guy for shooting at all.

[[2) When I was 10 years old, I thought it would be funny to stick a thumbtack under a girl's butt as she was rocking back and forth. Like a gag from the cartoons.

Obviously, that ended badly. With her sobbing, going home for the school day, and me feeling horrible about that choice 25 years later.

What's clear is that these kids are acting solely on impulse, not really thinking through what it is they're really doing. But as soon as they're facing some real life consequences for it, you can tell that they are in way over their head but that they know they deserve it.

The real tragedy is that they should be getting these lessons at a much younger age, with stupider stuff where you can learn the lessons without having to pay the price with jailtime, a gunshot wound, or death.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    It's not fair to treat every black teen as a bad guy. Clearly most aren't. That said, if I'm walking down the street and see a group of black teens coming toward me I'm certainly going to think about my options. Even Jesse Jackson admitted that if heard someone coming up behind him, he was relieved if he turned around and saw it was a white person.
    I think that was pundit William Raspberry in the Washington Post that had that experience/feeling and made a column about it.

So a couple of isolated incidents have made people fear an entire demographic of people? less than 20 incidents reported nationwide recently and people are freaked out....white folks don’t suffer the same consequence.
    Less than 20 incidents? Bullshit. I can recall at least 4 examples of the knockout game being played in Ann Arbor/Ypsi in the past 2 years, and that's just what I can recall from memory. I'm sure there's been more than that in just the A2/Ypsi area alone.

These incidents occur and they are just labeled as assaults without the police or press reporting them as being part of the knockout game. Case in point, this example from Ypsilanti:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/m...d-by-stranger/

Here's a crime alert I got from UofM DPS back in March 2012. Sound familiar?

CRIME ALERT
    UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
    DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

Date of Incidents: March 9 and 11, 2012, about 1:30-2:30am
    Location: Off-campus around Central Campus [[Willard at East U, 100 block S First, 600 block Packard)
    Offense: Assaults
    Summary: As told to the Ann Arbor Police, in three weekend incidents, males were assaulted in unprovoked attacks. No property was taken, but injuries required medical attention.
    Suspects: Two or four black males, possibly thin build and 20-25 years old; in the assault on S. First, a small, red auto [[maybe Dodge Neon) possibly was involved
    Last edited by aj3647; November-22-13 at 09:50 AM.

Default INTENT is the issue

There is too much racial weight here in this discussion.
    INTENT Was the intent to target a white person? That is what will make it racist or not.
    INTENT
    Because one side is one race and other another doesn't mean much unless the intent was there. IE: A community of white people are robbed consistently for 1 year by black thieves. Is it a racial crime? Or is that where the money/wealth is to be robbed?
    INTENT people.

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    INTENT Was the intent to target a white person? That is what will make it racist or not.
    INTENT
    Because one side is one race and other another doesn't mean much unless the intent was there. IE: A community of white people are robbed consistently for 1 year by black thieves. Is it a racial crime? Or is that where the money/wealth is to be robbed?
    INTENT people.
    INTENT matters. Sometimes repeated actions indicate INTENT. There is a theory that the Knockout Game is black on non-blacks. In NYC, it is Jews. Elsewhere, its Asians.

I don't know if this is true or not. Read for example the Thomas Sowell column I quoted elsewhere calling for an end to avoiding race in this discussion.

Your point is valid. Just like the majority of Stop & Frisks in NYC were black because the majority of crime in NYC in those 'hoods are black on black -- so one might find that the majority of Knockout Game victims are white -- because there are more whites in our population in, say, Ann Arbor. You are right. Race may not be a factor here. But if it is, then it needs to be addressed -- not hidden from view.

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    INTENT
    INTENT people.
    In Illinois, the knockout game is often referred to as "polar bear hunting", maybe you can take a guess as to why.

I'll give you a hint: it's not because they are targeting large, hairy men.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast