Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am surprised the the Milner has not started already.
    I walked by last night and there were lights on in many rooms. I could see into some windows what appeared to be metal studs in place just waiting for new drywall. Also, I noticed the vertical "MILNER" sign on John R had been changed to "ASHLEY" using the same ugly font.

Crain's reported that the Milner had previously been owned by Ilitch. I never heard that before. Can somebody [[Gistok, perhaps) shed some light on this? I suspect the writer was confusing the Milner with the Madison-Lenox, but hey, why should our media get the facts straight?

From Crain's:
    Ashley Owner LLC will receive the grant to complete the $8.2 million redevelopment of the Milner, transforming the property once owned by the Ilitch family into 61 one- and two-bedroom apartments.

Downtownguy, as far as I can recall, the Milner has always been owned by the Milner hotel folks... for over 3/4 century. I don't know how they got the Ilitch's implicated in this??

It seems that once the Ilitch's buy a property... they hold on to it!

Yep, I thought so. It doesn't fit the Ilitch's M.O. But as I said, what do you expect from local media?

It seems to me that the Strathmore is very similar in condition and size to both the Eddystone and Harbor Lights [[which are a bit taller, but narrower). If this building can be restored/renovated for $32 million, I don't see why both of those 2 buildings can't.... except for the fact that they're owned by Ilitch....

That big cube on cube former 5 star hotel on W.Alexandrine was once a roach motel for crackheads! Now its going to be apartment for yuppies and skinny jean hipsters.

What is going on with the Strathmore? anyone have updates? outside of the dead zone that will soon be filled up by the arena construction, this is the last major piece of blight in midtown that i have been anxiously waiting to see renovated

It got updates and funding quite a while ago as far as i remember.. anyone know the holdup? I was hoping to see reno start before the weather goes bad again [[i'm assuming they'd like windows in before the winter)

YAY Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yep, I thought so. It doesn't fit the Ilitch's M.O. But as I said, what do you expect from local media?
    Ilitch owned the late Madison Lenox, on the Madison frontage of the block. Most of the current Internet jockeys who pass for reporters/writers today don't research or have a clue about the "city beat".

Yeah, nothing noticeable here. Likewise at Cass @ Canfield-- I thought the new 9-story [[ish) mixed use project on the U Tower sight was supposed to be moving by now? What is the story here.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    What is going on with the Strathmore? anyone have updates? outside of the dead zone that will soon be filled up by the arena construction, this is the last major piece of blight in midtown that i have been anxiously waiting to see renovated

It got updates and funding quite a while ago as far as i remember.. anyone know the holdup? I was hoping to see reno start before the weather goes bad again [[i'm assuming they'd like windows in before the winter)

I've been wondering this myself all summer. Stop and get coffee every once and while at GL and have not seen any activity happening on the building. Anyone have an update?

Maybe someone from Curbed reading this post could do some actual digging for us?
    Last edited by rondinjp; September-08-14 at 09:07 AM. Reason: misspelling

I saw about 5 or 6 construction workers and 3 or 4 big pieces construction equipment [[bulldozers, etc.) right in front of the Strathmore this morning... looked like they were starting up something .. anyone else see that?

They seem to be clearing brush and debris.

Name:  IMG_6244.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  41.1 KB

It would be great news if this project finally gets off the ground. It's such a prominent blight on Midtown

Just passed it. There's a construction company sign at the top of it and they're covering the windows up with temporary materials. And I saw quite a handful of workers in the building. Great news. The renovation is absolutely underway!

Only the workers have to do is remove all the asbestos, pigeon-rat poop, strip down the soggy plastered drywall then its rehab time. Those yuppie folks will love living at the Strathmore 5 Star Apts. And no DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS poor folks mutants allowed. Midtown is booming!

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    Just passed it. There's a construction company sign at the top of it and they're covering the windows up with temporary materials. And I saw quite a handful of workers in the building. Great news. The renovation is absolutely underway!
    Great news - thanks for the update.

PS...beat Nebraska this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2