Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Doesnt this whole situation seem like there must be something more to this story? just look at the location of the school. doesn't it strike anyone as odd that it would be targeted at all? I'm surprised they made it to I75.
    We think a lot alike. This story is perplexing without additional info. If it was legit random...super weird. No idea how a couple guys just wind up at Lincoln/Cranbrook that early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post
    Cheeky title? Guilty. Humor can help cope with the constant frustration. With that said, would I be surprised if literally over a 100 B'ham families have a very real discussion about moving today? Not in the slightest.

quit running from your problems

If those suspects rob and man from Birmingham and took his car to Detroit to hide out. Must to be two black males. Here's my theory that led to a robbery:

1. Someone student in the high school knows about the fancy car and went to Detroit ghettos telling its friends about the car so they can go case the area and steal it.

2. Just some black males donning their hoodies decided to case the suburbs looking the rich white folks goodies to steal. Once they spot guy in the fancy car, they pulled out their guns and started robbing the poor guy. Then took the car for joyride to Detroit to hide out from the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    No, what is insane is that a newbie comes onto this forum with 5PM Newscast Sensationalistic Thread Titles and screams the sky is falling...

Your silly thread title might have read "1000 Metro Detroit Maintenance Workers Seek New State for School Maintenance Jobs"... or maybe "Metro Detroit Teachers seek Sunbelt for Safety!"

It was at 4:30AM in the night... and the perpetraters weren't even IN the school.
    +100 absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    quit running from your problems
    The alternative to running from bad guys with guns:

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2013/0...homicides.html

So you'd prefer a phony website full of sunshine and lollipops? Detroit is real. Detroit is authentic. Yet, when faced with the very real realities of the region, you'd like them suppressed?

Today a 1,000 families in one of the areas toniest enclaves have their kids home from school after two armed men robbed and fired their gun on the high school's campus today. One perp still on the loose. THAT IS INSANE. For you to want to silence or downplay this illustrates just how numb you are to the violent crime in the region.
    The madness is happening everywhere, and in the safest of safest communities. For Birmingham it's an episode, for Detroit and unfortunately other large cities, it's a regular occurrence. It shouldn't be that way for either but the undertones of your post suggest that you have something against Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Public safety and blight avoidance could be one of the areas where some sort of regional revenue sharing could help solve the issues of all concerned parties.
    Yeah because rich white suburbs want to watch more of their tax dollars go to waste in Detroit. Good idea.

They'll just hire more cops and enforce the laws more proactively.

One of the biggest issues that many elite suburbs have is that Detroit has been 'picked over' and anyone with any money has either left or has gathered the wagons in very small areas. This now has made areas that were once untouchable by crime a target.

This could be a tipping point. Public safety and blight avoidance could be one of the areas where some sort of regional revenue sharing could help solve the issues of all concerned parties.

While maybe not quite a tipping point [[yet), I could not agree with you any more. The whole bit "my community's safe so let Detroit rot" is old. Maybe if the disparity of 12k/student at Seaholm could even out with the 6.8k/student in Detroit, or the surplus L. Brooks brags about could somehow be used to supplement the DFD or DPD shortages, this region would get a whole lot more out of cooperation as opposed to the radical divisiveness we live with now.

Yeah, right.

Please cite your source for the per pupil funding at those two districts. I swear I've read DPS students are around $10k per head. That said, there are studies that show very little correlation between pupil spending and success in the classroom. Seaholm's tennis courts and track, and decked out athletic equipment and new Apple computers aren't the reason their algebra scores are higher. And let's not get into the decades of corruption at DPS. Give them more money? It'll never see the kids.

OR if you need a big powerful V-8 for another heist then steal a car that you know has a V-8, not all Mustangs or Camaros have these.
    Not really a viable theory as to why they would steal a Grand Marquis. A GM/Crown Vic with its V8 has only about 220hp. Compare that to a 2010 V6 Camaro has just over 300hp. Why, even a V6 Taurus has 260+ hp. And you look much cooler crusin' around in the Camaro/Mustang [[or even Taurus) rather than the Grand Marquis.

I agree something is missing from the public version of this story, but your theory doesn't explain it either.

I am curious why the police wanted to keep the schools closed. Seems like an overreaction to me, but maybe they had some reason I am unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Crime was never contained just to Detroit no matter how much people want to convince themselves of it. But that statement just summed up the ridiculous mentality of the region.
    The types of crimes I'm talking about are crimes like this one, brazen crimes that are being committed more frequently in the suburbs. In the past maybe someone breaks into the maintenance man's car and steals his radio or the car, but he wouldn't have been held up at gunpoint at 5:00 in the morning going into the school. Never said crimes didn't happen in the suburbs.

Detroit spends 18k per pupil, Birmingham 13k.

Oops.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...2_422158_7.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Just stop.

Nonsense threads like this are making this forum practically unreadable anymore. With no offense to proprietor Lowell, the quality of the posted content on this board has really gone downhill.
    Agreed. I am surprised this post has not been scrubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Agreed. I am surprised this post has not been scrubbed.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the solution is, but a different type [[or level) of forum moderation will be necessary for these badly needed discussions to become/remain productive.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    Not really a viable theory as to why they would steal a Grand Marquis. A GM/Crown Vic with its V8 has only about 220hp. Compare that to a 2010 V6 Camaro has just over 300hp. Why, even a V6 Taurus has 260+ hp. And you look much cooler crusin' around in the Camaro/Mustang [[or even Taurus) rather than the Grand Marquis.

I agree something is missing from the public version of this story, but your theory doesn't explain it either.
    Seriously? How many times do I have to repeat myself? Not all Camaros or Mustangs have the high output V-8s the vast majority of them are V-6 powered. Not all cars are stolen because they are cool. Hell I had a Dodge Shadow that was stolen four times.

Seriously? How many times do I have to repeat myself? Not all Camaros or Mustangs have the high output V-8s the vast majority of them are V-6 powered. Not all cars are stolen because they are cool. Hell I had a Dodge Shadow that was stolen four times.
    The Mustang's V6 makes 305 HP. That is MORE than that era's Grand Marquis in a much lighter car

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Maybe if the disparity of 12k/student at Seaholm could even out with the 6.8k/student in Detroit, or the surplus L. Brooks brags about could somehow be used to supplement the DFD or DPD shortages, this region would get a whole lot more out of cooperation as opposed to the radical divisiveness we live with now.

Yeah, right.
    Per-pupil funding in Birmingham and Detroit is almost exactly the same. There is very little difference in per-pupil funding between districts in Michigan. And your second point is ridiculous. Because Oakland is well managed and Wayne a disaster, Oakland should be punished by giving its surplus to Wayne, so that they can give out more 100k pensions to retired 40 year olds?
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-13-13 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Per-pupil funding in Birmingham and Detroit is almost exactly the same. There is very little difference in per-pupil funding between districts in Michigan.
    As I suspected. Furthermore, there is no correlation between increased spending and student test scores. But it's a way of life for race hustlers to spew out false rhetoric that is completely absent of all truth and logic.
    Last edited by mark.vandorn; November-13-13 at 11:48 AM.

What kind of car they stole is irrelevant. Opportunity crimes aren't prejudiced. They would have taken a "beater" if it called for getting away.

As I suspected. Furthermore, there is no correlation between increased spending and student test scores. But it's a way of life for race hustlers to spew out false rhetoric that is completely absent of all truth and logic.

The problem is that you both missed the point. Stop looking at raw numbers and failures v. successes. Until this area comes together as a region [[do we need 74, 138, whatever separate school districts, police forces, fire departments, DPWs, you name it) this area will continue to fail.

Big picture, y'all.

And, oh, BTW, a simple google search will yield the following:

2009 Birmingham per pupil funding $ 12.4K
    2009 Detroit per pupil funding 7.6K

Source: Detroit News

And as for your premise that there is no correlation between funding and test scores, a simple google search will yield that there are myriads of studies on either sides of that arguement. But you [[plural) are such intelligent beings that you must believe your own "holier-than-thou" rhetoric.

So please, keep up the great work and name calling.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; November-13-13 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Per-pupil funding in Birmingham and Detroit is almost exactly the same. There is very little difference in per-pupil funding between districts in Michigan. And your second point is ridiculous. Because Oakland is well managed and Wayne a disaster, Oakland should be punished by giving its surplus to Wayne, so that they can give out more 100k pensions to retired 40 year olds?
    how many 100k pensions to 40 year olds are there? details, sources please.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    And, oh, BTW, a simple google search will yield the following:
    2009 Birmingham per pupil funding $ 12.4K
    2009 Detroit per pupil funding 7.6K

These numbers are wrong. The two districts have roughly similar funding. They both receive the exact same allocation from the State, but Detroit gets extra from the Feds for Title I funding.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-13-13 at 08:06 PM.

Bham1982, was this disturbance brought up during afternoon tea at the Townsend? How horrified are the blue bloods?

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    A GM/Crown Vic with its V8 has only about 220hp. Compare that to a 2010 V6 Camaro has just over 300hp. Why, even a V6 Taurus has 260+ hp. And you look much cooler crusin' around in the Camaro/Mustang [[or even Taurus) rather than the Grand Marquis.

You don't have to repeat yourself. Just read it correctly the first time before you try to respond. That will avoid the need for misplaced outrage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast